The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked... Papering RBG's?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I know you shouldn't fill the grain on RBG's due to weight issues. Would papering the fins/wings really adversely affect their performance that much?

Thanks!
Jim

If you want to paper RBG wings, I recommend looking into Esaki (Japanese) tissue. Nice color, fills the grain, adds lots of strength, and is much lighter than paper. I use nitrate dope to apply it, but I'm sure you could use something else at a slight weight penalty. (WBPU?)

There's an old MR article attached on how to do it. Just use chemical resistant gloves when using dope. It isn't good for you...

View attachment _Tissuing.pdf

Last edited:
Depends on several factors. Size of the RBG and if it is to be a competition model or not.

Sport models, larger RBGs that you want a nice finish on, I would not hesitate to paper the surfaces if I wanted to. No issues to speak of. If you want to maximize performance on smaller RBGs and competition RBGs and have a nice looking finish, a similar and better technique is to cover the surfaces with tissue (Japanese tissue for model aircraft is the best) and dope. Not as perfect a surface with the thin tissue, but works very well.

The Double Shuttle wings are 1/8" balsa papered with 20 pound stationery on both sides using white glue. It works like a charm and amazingly strong, but light. It takes some time to build and the wings are pressed with weighty books to reduce warpage. The model is launched with a cluster of two 24 mm BP E-motors, one in each glider. It reaches a speed of 132 mph (194 fps) with no damage to the wings. It works well on this concept, but might be too heavy for the lighter RBG concepts with forward set wings. Perhaps, tissue paper might work.

Last edited:
Dope and tissue works very well for the lightweight competition type models. Definitely lighter than normal paper covering.
Adds some strength to contest balsa wings and the surface of the wings dings a little less easily.

Having said all that, I typically build free flight and small RC RBGs with bare balsa. I add 1-2 coats of clear dope or lacquer to the balsa and airbrush a little color on.

Some of my larger models get Monokote or similar heat shrink film.

Back