Mach 10 body tube length question...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok before everyone starts jumping on me and saying that this has been discussed in length before, I can tell you, I didn't find my answer there.

I know that the plans call for a ST-16 body tube (which is pretty close to an Estes BT-60 body tube) and it's 8" long. I've heard tell that some of them were 8" long, and others were 8.5" long. Ok, fine...

Which flies better? One with an 8" or an 8.5" long tube?

Was the engine tube of the longer version lengthened too? For those who don't know the tube was supposed to be 6.5" long. FWIW, mine is closer to 6.5625" long

I can't tell how long my Mach 10 was originally, the front end of the rocket was crumpled and then cut away by the original owner. He gave it a nose that kinda resembles a F-86 Sabre. Mine also doesn't have the "fuel tank" anymore (torn away), but I do have the marker cone.

I'm thinking about cloning it now.

Mine was built from a 70s era kit...
Main tube is 21.5 cm, engine tube is 16.5 cm, fuel tank tube 3.8 cm

Mine was built from a 70s era kit...
Main tube is 21.5 cm, engine tube is 16.5 cm, fuel tank tube 3.8 cm

Thanks!

Ok, so that's 8.46456693" for the main tube, 6.496063" for the engine tube, and 1.49606" for the fuel tank tube... I see why you choseqw to use centimeters now.

Back