Higgs Farm Square Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom, are you going to launch in Geneseo or Potter? either way make sure to tell us when the launch is so I can make sure I'm there!

Tom, here is a video I got of your "funnel cone" flying at Geneseo, you know how do to low and slow for sure!
[video=youtube_share;6BKX3_YRgIk]https://youtu.be/6BKX3_YRgIk[/video]

Last edited:
Riley thank you for finding and posting the video of the Funnel Cone.

The Square-one will have a recovery deployment using the same scheme as the F. Cone with larger chutes.

The final rocksim file below shows 2 launch simulations
CTI 8634 M 6400 VM... altitude= 901' ..pad weight= 224 lbs ...thrust/weight=6.4
CTI 13628 N 5600 WT..altitude=1788'... pad weight=232 lbs ....thrust/weight=5.5
final Square-one rocksim file
View attachment square one.rkt
_DSC1842.JPG
_DSC1891.jpg
_DSC1931.jpg

The motor limit at MARS...Geneseo N.Y. is a single M with a sim to 901" being a generous estimation of altitude with this rocket having alot of drag from the fins and cone.
At Potter N.Y....URRG a N5600 will double the altitude.

Certainly launching more than once is always the goal.

Again I appreciate Riley Keller's video and look forward to you being at the first launch.

Tom C.
MARS Geneseo N.Y.

Last edited:
Tom, your giant rockets are an inspiration to all! I was lucky enough to have my darkstar mini land right next to you during setup and you let me and my son Jonah help stand funnel cone up. Thank you! can't wait to see this one go up! here are a few pictures I got as well. Jonah is wearing the green soccer shirt
funnel_cone_setup.jpg

Funnel_cone_launch.jpg

Funnel%2BCone.jpg

Tom, This rocket begs to fly on a long-burn motor. Lots of flame. Lots of smoke. Big parachutes. Can't wait to see it fly.

Tom C,
Pretty awesome BIG square rocket. Of course I love it alot as I have become square obsessed for a while now. Thanks for mentioning NewWay. I look forward to seeing the finished rocket, as well as, its launch.

Tom C,
Pretty awesome BIG square rocket. Of course I love it alot as I have become square obsessed for a while now. Thanks for mentioning NewWay. I look forward to seeing the finished rocket, as well as, its launch.

Rick,

IMG_0010.jpg

Thank you for designing and selling suare kits at Newway.
I combined 2 of your creations to come up with this rocket and am looking forward to it's launch this season.

Tom

Last edited:
First Flight Planned

CTI 98mm M6400 4 grain V-Max
altitude 1000'
RRC3 altimeters
36' Rocketman chute for the fincan
Skyangle XXL chute for the nosecone
single deploy at apogee

WP_20150511_16_54_12_Pro.jpgWP_20150511_16_53_52_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
I sure hope things go right for you. Make sure its the right day to fly you can always wait for another day. We don't want to lose another launch site. Looks like a very cool project.

Tom,,
You are a skilled man and your flights are such a pleasure ...
I am sorry I will miss this one...
I'll get to see your flights at LDRS next....

Man,, is that thing huge,,,lol...
1000 ft on a M 6400,,,, wow....
Very very cool...

Teddy

Tom, do you know if you'll be flying it Saturday or Sunday? I'll only be able to make it there on Sunday, I'm down in PA the day before...

Tom, do you know if you'll be flying it Saturday or Sunday? I'll only be able to make it there on Sunday, I'm down in PA the day before...

As of today there are 3 big rockets planned for the June 6-7 weekend in Geneseo.
If the weather is good this rocket will likely launch Saturday afternoon.

The pad weight is 224 pounds

CTI M6400 total impulse is 8634 NS average thrust 6400NS=1431lbs

thrust to weight ratio is 6.4

84 ft/sec off the rail with a motor burn time 1.36 seconds to about 1000'

We put the identical 36' Rocketman chute, deployment bag, 40" pilot chute and short 15' shock cord into a rocket that went to 750' apogee this past weekend in Geneseo and
saw the chute open rapidly for a good recovery of a bit less bulky rocket.

Fingers crossed,,,
for no reason,, not necessary...
It's going to be a perfect flight Tom........

Teddy

Each of those inside-90-degree corners is some huge drag. So should be massively stable and slow.

I didn't make it to the launch but a non rocketry friend happened to be there and posted this on FB. sweet flight!
[video]https://youtu.be/Tkb-yGm5A0E[/video]

Nice flight. Been looking forward to this for a while.
I caught myself saying out loud, on the descent, "Come on, stick the landing......stick the landing..... come on......., aaaaargh!."
Congrats.

Unbelievable Tom.........
You are the giant rocket king for sure..............
Looks like it was a great flight......

Teddy

Back