Higgs Farm Square Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_7589.jpgIMG_7639.jpgIMG_7655.jpgIMG_7658.jpg

Second flight planned for MDRA this season...2015... either again on a CTI M6400 to 1000' or CTI M5600 to 1500'

Way too cool Tom,,,
Smokin flight just as usual for you...

Teddy

Thanks Teddy...

This is the forward bulkhead showing the 2 ubolts and ejection charges.

2015-01-04 005.jpg

Using one of your shock cords...11/16" tubular kevlar...15' long...one loop on each end worked fine for the main chute.
You discussed with me the reasons for being able to use the short cord with one apogee event.
For piece of mind I replaced the single cord with the "Y" cord you made...same material..same total length.

Appreciate One Bad Hawk on board this rocket.

Next flight is at MDRA...Sept or Oct hope you will be at the launch

Tom C
MDRA...Maryland
MARS...Geneseo NY

Tom,,
You are just way too nice too me....
I'm not sure if my wife would approve,,, lol...

Thank you....

Teddy

This rocket will fly for it's second flight at MDRA's sod farm this weekend Sept 19-20, 2015
A beautiful field in Maryland with a most welcoming club membership and leaders that are especially accommodating...

Motor will be CTI N5600 to an altitude of 1300-1400'

IMG_7589.jpgIMG_7639.jpgIMG_7655.jpgIMG_7658.jpg

Last edited:
This rocket will fly for it's second flight at MDRA's sod farm this weekend Sept 19-20, 2015
A beautiful field in Maryland with a most welcoming club membership and leaders that are especially accomodating...

Motor will be CTI N5600 to an altitude of 1300-1400'

+1 on that Tom,,,
That truly is a welcoming and accommodating club....
I sure wish I could be there for that flight,,
but there's just no way...
All the best for EVERY flight going up this weekend...

Teddy

Teddy...

MDRA is surely a treat to fly at....regular launch or their Red Glare spectaculars....
Your energy Teddy... from New Jersey can be felt in Maryland easily, so we will enjoy you there this weekend even without you attending.
Thanks for your interest in rockets....refreshing...always....

ALTIMETER SPOOFING DUE TO PORTS PLACED ON THE FLAT BODY TUBE SURFACES.

The static ports are located on the flat surface of the Square rocket and allow the wind to come into the ebay differently than if the body tube was round. For a second time a deployment charge fired prematurely and this has led to a change the static port #'s (decrease to one hole) after discussion at MDRA and also with Jim Amos of Missle Works.

2015-02-03 012.JPG2014-12-19 004.jpg

Using unusual materials and rocket shapes brings problems not anticipated.

The flight at MDRA looked great Tom ???
I rest assured,,,
You'll get it jived out...lol..

Teddy

Third flight... CTI N5600 to 1000' at MDRA March 2016

60.JPG [video=youtube;0RFClZvsSaQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?

v=0RFClZvsSaQ&list=PL2LMq2TTPTZoU7DPcP5ZJ0GM7mq_mQPY7[/video]

video by Peter E. Abresch Jr.

Last edited:
Smokin flight Tom,,,
That musta shook the ground when it left...
I wish I was there,, always such a great launch with you and all of the MDRA guy's...

Teddy

Tom -

Every aspect of this is "textbook", including the stuck landing.
Nicely done, sir.

The cone is large and awkward to hold when lifting ..so after the first flight we wood screwed a drawer pull to the forward surface.
We could not pull it out of the tree by hand so we hooked the yellow tow cable from a pickup truck to the drawer pull. The 18' chute was destroyed as it was tangled in the tree...and the cone was fine.
Both ends of the cone are certainly firmly connected. Python made the cone.

WP_20160329_18_44_13_Pro.jpg
[

Last edited:
Tom, shame you lost the chute to the tree, of course it had to pick the one SMALL clump of trees to land in.
Teddy, that thing did shake the ground, seemed like half of that 6 grain burned before it left the rail!
Always a treat to watch Tom's rockets! (Just glad its not My wallet funding them!)
See you all next weekend!

Tom, shame you lost the chute to the tree, of course it had to pick the one SMALL clump of trees to land in.
Teddy, that thing did shake the ground, seemed like half of that 6 grain burned before it left the rail!
Always a treat to watch Tom's rockets! (Just glad its not My wallet funding them!)
See you all next weekend!

hahahhahaaha,,,
+1.....

Teddy

Back