Anyone used vinyl from Amazon like monokote?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soopirV

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
It works great and is easy to work with...

The fins on this booster were covered in Monokote...

IMG_1625.JPG

I love using the self-adhesive Trim monokote. It is great for accents and for adding bits of chrome to help the rocket stand out in the sun when looking for the rocket. I hate using the heat applied monokote on tubes.

I'm curious. Why is that? My buddy wants me to put a few chrome Monokote stripes around the circumference of his rocket.

Doing a single stripe isn't too bad. What I have tried and have been frustrated with is Monokoting the entire tube in order to avoid trying to paint during winter. Now, winter builds fly naked until the following year when I can paint during the week or two of summer where I have time.

It wasn't designed to apply on paper tubes. When heating it to activate the glue, it shrinks. This makes it difficult to make a nice even coating all the way around a large tube. I usually end up with wrinkles by the time I am 3/4 of the way around the tube and then start over, and start over, and start over again until I give up and fly it naked or fly it with wrinkles. Maybe if I had more space, a proper setup, or actual skills, it wouldn't be so bad.

The Trim Monokote is self-adhesive and putting stripes on with that is easy. Regular peel and stick vinyl works well as well. However, heat applied Monokote... yeach..

As Many of you know I'm in the Sign business. We use all kinds of adhesive backed vinyl's for all sorts of sign face decorating. some is Translucent, some is Opaque, some are metallic, Mirror Silver is usually the Thinnest actual thickness. which is an important thing to know.
Looking at the Add the OP posted I can not tell what the vinyl thickness is for these rather small 6" x 12" sheet. To be honest I'd suggest the purchase of Adhesive backed Trim Monokote over the material in the add just for that reason. Trim Monokote also comes in a larger sheet some with Checkerboard patterns as seen in one of the previous post photos.

I absolutely LOVE mirror Silver Trim Monokote for use on Model rockets. As mentioned it is the Thinnest of all the Trim monokote and most other vinyl manufactures as well. so it doesn't create much of an edge line. I use it on Model bodies and as tape discs for making Sport and competition Mylar and Plastic Chutes and streamers.

Something to keep in mind: All adhesive backed vinyl SHRINKS with time and exposure to UV. Some worse then others. 3M brand Vinyls along with Monokote vinyls have the smallest Shrink rate over other brands like Arlon (Calon), Oracal, and worst of all manufactures is Avery.
Just about all Vinyl manufactures state their material is generally rated a 5 to 7 year Outdoor durability. but many of the Specialty Glittery, Metallic, Pearls, and holographic vinyl's are either not intended for Out door use (NO UV protection) or have a very short outdoor life like 1 to 2 years.

The Omega 2-stage had Chrome Trim Monokote and Blue/Black Vinyl. The Other models is totally Vinyl covered, No paint at all.

Again to get back to the OP'ers question: Yes Adhesive backed vinyl's are great for use on Model to HPR rockets but you must Know What you are buying. the Thinner the vinyl thickness the better and look for the Outdoor durability at 7yrs or better.

Since this information is not available with the Amazon Add and the pieces are SOOO small I would not purchase vinyl from them.
Hope this helps a little.

176a-sm_Omega 2-stage w Cineroc_10-22-95.jpg

Last edited:
I absolutely LOVE mirror Silver Trim Monokote for use on Model rockets. As mentioned it is the Thinnest of all the Trim monokote and most other vinyl manufactures as well. so it doesn't create much of an edge line

Specifically which of the Trim Monokote line is this? Referencing the mfr page here:

https://www.monokote.com/trim.html

I see either Aluminum (TOPQ4105) or Chrome (TOPQ4110) might be the silvery looking mirror like Trim Monokote.

I've used other colors of Trim Monokote (and I like it a lot)... I have a project coming up that might benefit from the mirror-ish effect. Please help me get the right one!

Thanks

Marc

Doing a single stripe isn't too bad. What I have tried and have been frustrated with is Monokoting the entire tube in order to avoid trying to paint during winter. Now, winter builds fly naked until the following year when I can paint during the week or two of summer where I have time.

It wasn't designed to apply on paper tubes. When heating it to activate the glue, it shrinks. This makes it difficult to make a nice even coating all the way around a large tube. I usually end up with wrinkles by the time I am 3/4 of the way around the tube and then start over, and start over, and start over again until I give up and fly it naked or fly it with wrinkles. Maybe if I had more space, a proper setup, or actual skills, it wouldn't be so bad.

The Trim Monokote is self-adhesive and putting stripes on with that is easy. Regular peel and stick vinyl works well as well. However, heat applied Monokote... yeach..

Monokote works very well on paper tubes. Sounds like you are having a technique problem.

Continually ironing it down to the tube as you work around the tube does not work well.

Best practice is to get a long straight edge of Monokote ironed neatly the the length of the tube. Tack the Monokoat to the middle of the seam to the tube, then pull one end of the seam tight and tack down that half of the seam. Then repeat this for the other half of the initial seam.

Then, wrap the MonoKote around the tube all the way back to the initial seam. It is very important to keep pulling the covering as tight as possible initially so that any wrinkles are easy to shrink out later. Leave a couple of inches extra for getting a good grip later. Pull the covering tight in the middle of the tube and tack the covering tight on top of the original seam.

Next, keep pulling the covering as tight as possible as you work the iron along the seam from the middle tacked down area out to one end of the tube. Then work the other half of the seam the same way. Working from the center of the seam out to the ends of the tube is crucial to getting a smooth covering job. This forces any wrinkles away from the center and towards the ends of the tubes.

You end up with a nearly wrinkle free tube where the covering is only attached to the seam. Pull the covering tightly over the edge of the tube and tack the covering down to the last 1/4-1/2" of the tube.

I typically trim the seam at this point using a long strip of poster board slipped under the unattached overlap to protect the Monokote on the tube, a long straight edge and a fresh number 11 blade. Then I iron down the trimmed seam tightly.

Then you have two options. Use a heat gun to shrink the covering and the lightly iron the covering to the entire body tube. If you don't have a heat gun, you can gently float the iron lightly over the covering to shrink and then iron it down more firmly.

I typically cover the ply fins first, then the tube area between the fins, then the major part of the tube do that all the seams on the tube overlap downwind.

I have Monokoted 4-5 rockets over the years. (and hundreds of model aircraft) Still have several of them. The ones from nearly 20 years back look better than my lacquer or enamel painted rockets from the same time period.

As in many model building practices, technique is everything. And with Monokote, getting everything covered tightly by the edges and manually working out wrinkles with tension
before trying to shrink and stick the rest of the covering is the key to makng it work well.

Last edited:
Specifically which of the Trim Monokote line is this? Referencing the mfr page here:

https://www.monokote.com/trim.html

I see either Aluminum (TOPQ4105) or Chrome (TOPQ4110) might be the silvery looking mirror like Trim Monokote.

I've used other colors of Trim Monokote (and I like it a lot)... I have a project coming up that might benefit from the mirror-ish effect. Please help me get the right one!

Thanks

Marc

Marc:
You want the TOPQ4110 Chrome Trim Monokote, the website color card simply doesn't give a good representation of the Mirror like reflectivity of the material. Outstanding stuff! Very thin and Stays where it's placed.

I use a light misting with a Wetting agent on the painted surface of the fins or body it's applied on. (2drops of Dishwashing detergent in 1 Pint of water) give time to adjust placements. Squeegee out when you have it exactly where you want it. Come back and re-Squeegee about an hour or so later to ensure you've removed all the excess wetting agent and have NO bubbles left behind:)
Ps: Always work form the center of the sheet out to the edges. On body wraps work from the Long center out to the edges and ends. Take your time with this, remove and adjust as needed without stretching the material. Once stretched it will NOT lay down correctly.

Last edited:
Hi! I ran across this the other night, and was tempted to pull the trigger, but I've never worked with Vinyl (nor Monokote). I like the idea of being able to cut stripes and roll patterns instead of masking and painting, and am wondering if anyone has ever tried this?
Dave

I ordered the 6"x12" version of this to get material to use with my vinyl cutter. It's worked out well for me so far making small decals and roll patterns. Here's a test of some Gemini Titan markings and the final sheet I cut.

kj

IMG_3254.JPG

IMG_3270.JPG

The basic version of the software that you get for free lets you import jpg bmp and png files, and cut any font on your computer. You can buy an update that allows for svg (vector) files and more advanced layering/nesting features.

So for the GT wrap, I got the decal file from either JimZ or Ninfinger and imported that into the studio software. I had to adjust some things due to the width of my vynil. Then it's like printing to any printer, except it's cutting.

kj

Last edited:
That's impressive! Did you airbrush or rattle-can that? Care to post a tutorial thread?

Thanks. This was airbrushed. I don't have a lot of pictures of the paint process but I could definitely write up a tutorial on it. Did you end up getting that package of vinyl? It is definitely a lifetime supply.

Thanks. This was airbrushed. I don't have a lot of pictures of the paint process but I could definitely write up a tutorial on it. Did you end up getting that package of vinyl? It is definitely a lifetime supply.

Not yet, but the replies here certainly have been encouraging! Thanks also for your technique thread below, can't wait to review it!

Maybe before you commit to all that vinyl and that cost, what if you just bought one or two sheets to see if you will like it? I don't see how you could go wrong though. I bought a few packs like that and it is literally a lifetime supply. Plus you get a lot of colors you might never use.

I use the trim monokote a lot for stripes and details on my rockets and rc boost gliders. I haven't done a tube/fins using the heat shrink type but have done a complete vinyl covered titan II, the only paint on this model is the very tip of the nose and some black on the motor tube. The upper nose cone is vinyl covered. It took some care to apply the vinyl to the tubes/cone and avoid wrinkles or bubbles, but it made a very nice finish.

Frank

WP_20141113_002.jpg

That is really cool, Frank!!! Nice work on the vinyl.

I live in a condo and cannot paint my rockets. All of my rockets are either RTX or Monokote throughout. I have monokoted Aerotech G-Force, Mirage, Strong Arm, and an Estes PSII Nike Smoke. It is really very easy. I just sand any loose chaff of the edges of any wood and iron on the monokote. I always use the opaque or metallic colors and then overlap everything. Any seams virtually disappear. For the BT, I wrap the monokote loosely and tack one end with the heating iron. Then II stretch it around the BT and tack the other end with the heating iron, again - overlapping. From here, I start back at the first area that was ironed on, work across the length of the BT and around the BT as you go. I finish up with the iron at the absolute hottest setting, and again work across the length and around steadily heating and shrinking the monokote tightly. I simply cut the fins slots when the monokote is stretched tightly.

As for the fillets, depending upon the design of the rocket, many times, I just use heavy interior fillets on the fins. For the fins, I just cut the monokote large enough to cover one side and folded over the fin maybe 1/4". Just heat and stretch the monokote onto the fins. Repeat the same for the other side, again overlapping this layer of monokote over the previous side. If heated and stretched enough, the overlap just disappears and blend into the monokote.

Fleet.jpgm just completing a Minie Magg with Monokote. Those big fat fins and the 5.5" BT just love the monokote

That is a great description of your process, Earl. Thanks for sharing. For the Body Tube, have you ever tried a heat gun after tacking it with the iron? Also, do you still have to fill the spirals on the Tube?

That is a great description of your process, Earl. Thanks for sharing. For the Body Tube, have you ever tried a heat gun after tacking it with the iron? Also, do you still have to fill the spirals on the Tube?

I have found that if you shrink the Monokote with a heat gun, the spirals pretty much do not show, except for a little bit where the seam is ironed down.

If you iron down the covering on the the entire surface of the body tube, the spirals tend to show faintly.

It helps to lightly sand the tube so that the edges of the spirals are at the same height.

I have found that if you shrink the Monokote with a heat gun, the spirals pretty much do not show, except for a little bit where the seam is ironed down.

If you iron down the covering on the the entire surface of the body tube, the spirals tend to show faintly.

It helps to lightly sand the tube so that the edges of the spirals are at the same height.

Thanks for the heating iron suggestion. I had never used one before. The heating iron does help to get rid of tiny wrinkles etc. The spirals were not previously obvious for me. I have now all but finished my new Minie Magg. I had thought about calling it Monoe Magg, but when I saw that I had some nice blue Monokote left, I decided to go with the Blue Angel Theme and I called it Blue Magg.

BlueMagg.jpg

Since I wanted to build without any external fin fillets, I decided to add a center ring in the middle, and then bring the rear center ring up against the fins. With that the fins were sandwiched between center rings and heavily epoxied into place. With this the fins are actually attached all the way through to the motor tube.

newring.jpg

To counter the extra ring weight, I am using a small tubular (1/8") light weight kevlar (1500lb test) yellow 20' shock cord and tied that directly to the supplied eye-bolt on the forward-most center ring parachute and skipped using the huge quick link, which I am sure weighed more than the extra center ring. I will use a much smaller quick-link to attached the theme matching 48" Ultra-X-Type Topflight Blue and Yellow Parachute, and an 18" Kevlar parachute protector.

I weighed each individual component and this rocket weighs 62 OZ before construction. Based on using the my actual weights, and adding the extra center ring, Open Rocket puts the stability with a single use H128 ay .8 Cal. I see many folks recommending extra nose weight for stability, so I wanted to come up with a nose weight system.

Once I saw the huge hole in the neck of the nose cone and also the thick plastic material around the hole, I measured and decided that I could tap that hole and insert 9/16 -12 thread rod into the nose cone to add weight. I have heard people using as much as 16oz of weight. I love slow flights, so extra weight does not bother me. I ordered a 36" section of zinc coated 9/16-18. Threaded rod. I actually received 9/16"-12 non-zinc coated threaded rod. Not wanting to wait for the correct rod, I went ahead and used the 9/16"-12, which will actually take less time to change over the weight sizes. I used a dremel cutting wheel to cut the pieces and also shape a screw driver slot in the ends of the rod.

I started with a piece that is 17.25" long which allow you to thread the 15 oz long piece to go all the way to the top end of the nose cone and when you tighten the threaded rod, if fits very tightly. I also now have a 12" long piece and a 4" long piece that will provide a variety of nose weight. For these shorter pieces, I think it is best to use another 9/16"-12 nut as a lock nut to give the rod stability.
weights.jpg
noseweight.jpg

I am luck enough to be able to do my own graphics and a local place to generate the yellow graphics.

I finally got a Silhouette Cameo craft cutter and can do my CNC vinyl at home instead of after hours at work.

Have not only been cutting normal vinyl. I have also been cutting Trim Monokote and Super Monokote. The heat applied Super Monokote is a little tricky but once you get the blade settings right, it works like a champ.

We do a lot of small vinyl cut jobs at work and the machines tend to waste vinyl when you do a few small things at a time. I now get the scrap vinyl from work that is too small to go through the Roland cutter.

The self adhesive cutting mat that holds the material for the Silhouette allows you to use tiny scraps of vinyl or Monokote to cut what you need, down to a practical size of about 1"x2".

Lots of fun!

Last edited:
Back