eggfinder antenna possibilities

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
I am about to start building my Eggfinder kit, and wanted to know what people were doing for antennas. It looks like it comes with a plain wire stick antenna, which should be functional but limited in range and flexibility.

I would like to get it operational as soon as possible for an upcoming project, but also would like to be able to use more advanced antennas likely with external mounting at some point in the future. I imagine it should be fairly easy to use a coupler or connector to make either possible. What are others doing?

I'm not smart enough to have another thread to search through. Thanks, Wayco for saying it.

Sometimes the search engine here is a bit awkward but the links ought to help out melonmann. Thanks Fred.
Melonmann, read the links and anything specific you need to know fire off some more inquiries. Kurt

I did take a look around and found some good information, especially the conversation from sl98. However I am still looking for a specific answer to building now verses holding out for a better antenna. If I build with the stick, does that limit my ability to add a connector or other antenna later on? I do tend to flavor flexibility and build most of my electronics with that in mind, but I have never worked with RF before. Is it as simple as adding a quick connector like I would for logic level current, or will that muck up the signal?

Thanks!

I did take a look around and found some good information, especially the conversation from sl98. However I am still looking for a specific answer to building now verses holding out for a better antenna. If I build with the stick, does that limit my ability to add a connector or other antenna later on? I do tend to flavor flexibility and build most of my electronics with that in mind, but I have never worked with RF before. Is it as simple as adding a quick connector like I would for logic level current, or will that muck up the signal?

Thanks!

Yes/no. Yes if you use the wire antenna, it will limit your immediate use of another antenna. But............. it's easy to desolder the brass wire and clean off the pad with desoldering braid and stick/solder an SMA or RP-SMA edge connector on the board for a "screw-in" connection. So, no the wire doesn't have to be "permanent". I don't recommend trying to desolder and "go back" to a wire from an edge connector.

Is this the kind of answer you were looking for? Kurt

Thanks!

Just get one of these for the Tx. $7 each from Mouser.

https://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...-ANT-916-CW-QW

and the RP-SMA connector, of course!
NikeMikey

Last edited:
I had a brief conversation with Cris about this and he indicated that the included wire whip is pretty good, though if you feel you're really pushing your luck, a rubber ducky on one end is usually sufficient. I imagine multiple non-wire whip antennas is overkill unless you're really pushing your waiver.

Yes/no. Yes if you use the wire antenna, it will limit your immediate use of another antenna. But............. it's easy to desolder the brass wire and clean off the pad with desoldering braid and stick/solder an SMA or RP-SMA edge connector on the board for a "screw-in" connection. So, no the wire doesn't have to be "permanent". I don't recommend trying to desolder and "go back" to a wire from an edge connector.

Is this the kind of answer you were looking for? Kurt

Exactly! Thank you so much. I figured it should be easy enough but like I said this is my first RF project and I know signals can be a little finicky to say the least.

NikeMikey said:
Just get one of these for the Tx. $7 each from Mouser.

https://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...-ANT-916-CW-QW

and the RP-SMA connector, of course!

Ordered. Thanks!

Back