Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat vs Chevy Corvette Stingray

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. A Hemi Challenger is cool, but a supercharged Hemi Challenger is just beyond cool. Pure music.

Greg

Chevy sucks. They always will. (give me a moment ot don my flame suit)

I will still take my 80 vette anyday such sexy lines. Look at it from above shaped just like a woman.

There have been reports that the numbers are even better on the Challenger HC.
Dynoed at 822 HP and 10.8 1/4 mile.

Only 1200 will be made for the first year of production.

JD

*sigh* I really miss the glory days! 1969 mach 1 (too many specs-bored out, ported and polished-entire engine by Anson in Gardenia) 90 lb racing clutch, etc-approx 6mpg. Had to trade in my '73 CHALLENGER for a (sob!) K-car wagon. Never heard the end of it from the street crowd/motor heads. It had turned into a 8-10 mpg grocery/diaper getter. The Viking Princess is holding out for an original Challenger but at 80k with the old tech the new Hellcat is totally the way to go. I just need to hit the lottery now......

I like them both. If I had the Hellcat I'de have to put the Flying Tiger Shark Teeth on it.

I'm a decades old Ford Owner would love to be able to afford a Ford GT500, but I absolutely would buy a Challenger RT Hellcat anytime. It's the KEWLEST looking auto in the road today. Haven't really Liked Chevy Corvette for years.

Having taken that Corvette around a track, there is simply no competition for racing with turns in its price range. Frankly it did not lose by much to the custom built track only Maserati we had there that day. Simply an incredibly performing machine for the dollars.

That said, you do not have to like it, and clearly there is more to a car than pure track performance! Heck even most car guys never drive a dedicated track. I simply wanted to point out my newfound respect for it. I was a nonbeliever but a few laps changed my mind real quick.

Cars in general are so much better than they used to be. Safer, faster, more powerful, better handling, more efficient, more reliable and more comfortable.

Other than the pure nostalgia factor, I don't miss the old muscle car days.

As an example, the 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner Superbird is about the same price as a 2014 Subaru WRX in inflation adjusted dollars. But the WRX beats the Superbird in all performance figures (except maybe in top speed), while providing all the advantages I listed above.

And I disagree to an extent that new cars can't be worked on. The basics of a car haven't changed in terms of overall drivetrain. The big thing is computerization of the fuel/ignition system. There are other parts that the computer has moved into, but those are usually line replaceable units, and really don't take any more effort than any other things in a typical car repair manual. Otherwise, standard preventative maintenance can still be done...oil changes, tire changes, belts, brakes, suspension, most interior, even some heavy engine work (outside of the ignition/fuel system).

FC

Having taken that Corvette around a track, there is simply no competition for racing with turns in its price range. Frankly it did not lose by much to the custom built track only Maserati we had there that day. Simply an incredibly performing machine for the dollars.

That said, you do not have to like it, and clearly there is more to a car than pure track performance! Heck even most car guys never drive a dedicated track. I simply wanted to point out my newfound respect for it. I was a nonbeliever but a few laps changed my mind real quick.

That is the thing, the modern Corvette is not a muscle car- it is a sports car. It is not for drag racing- it is for going around a road track. Try that in a muscle car.

As an example, the 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner Superbird is about the same price as a 2014 Subaru WRX in inflation adjusted dollars. But the WRX beats the Superbird in all performance figures (except maybe in top speed), while providing all the advantages I listed above.

I'll take "The Bird" any day over the "Beer Can"... Make mine B5 Blue with White Bench interior, HeeeeeMI and, long Pistol Grip stir stick...some 3:23's and, a long desert highway in front of me.

Still remember a Tor Red Hemi sitting in the showroom of the Dodge Dealer in Delavan Wisconsin as a kid.

Who knew they would be so rare in the end?

Funny story: The State of New Mexico got their hands on one back in the early 70's and, set it up to patrol I-40 as a pursuit car redone in black with white doors and, big gumball machine on the roof. Wish i had a picture of it but from the stories i heard, said it was damn fast.

They called it the "Blackbird"....go figure! :rofl:

I'll take a custom upgraded Ford Mustang by Shelby anyday. Here in Michigan, and I believe ONLY in MI, there is a designated dealer you have to purchase from.
The waiting list is longer than the build pile list. Best package is upward of 900hp.
Carol Shelby personally signed the glove box door of each and everyone.

Everyone knock it off and relish in all that is the Hellcat. You need to send your stupid little Mustang to Roush or Shelby to have it rival the Hellcat OFF THE ASSEMBLY LINE.

Welcome to the future:

[video=youtube_share;kG6veF_34QE]https://youtu.be/kG6veF_34QE[/video]

Before the whining starts, yes the Hellcat driver wasn't the best. But the Hellcat is rated at a 11.3 in the 1/4 mile. The Tesla actually did it in 11.68 and needs no corrections for atmospheric density.

Did I mention it can seat 7? All wheel drive? 5-star crash test ratings? You can run 11 second 1/4 miles all day (or, admittedly, until the battery runs out), no fancy footwork needed?

And the explosions that power it can originate up to 93 million miles from my crotch?

FC

Last edited:
Electric is instant torque. The driver of the Hellcat really has no idea how to drive it. Also, 700 hp in a small tire car is questionable- most of the time it will break loose and you go no where.

Back