pro38.com being blocked by my work admins as a "questionable site."

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fine here. It'll be your admin settings. Use a proxy sever. Loads around providing thy haven't block them.

If your security guys have half a brain they've blocked proxies too. What filter are they using?

TOR is an option. Work can not block that. Other options if you know how or have the access is RDP home, Team Viewer Home (RDP is better), Proxy server, VPN (again need too know what to and if open at the work end)

Seems like trying to get around a security measure by using proxies, TOR, and other methods is probably a bad idea. It may be that they cannot actually block you from doing so, but I bet they have a policy against it. When using work resources, it is often a good idea to play by their rules and not try to outsmart their policies.

My concern was not how to get to the site. It was whether or not pro38.com actually has malware and is legitimately on a warning list.

It is most likely being tagged this way due to a setting in the firewall of your company. I am the admin for the firewall at my company and we have one of the most advanced devices made. It updates 17 times a day and I have no problems getting to the site, so this is not listed anywhere as a problem. Most likely it is set that way by a firewall policy at your company. I also ran the site against some security services we use to judge sites and I do not see any issues with the site. Your company most likely uses some sort of content filtering and it has updated or been configured to flag this site. We sometimes will block a non business related site if we see it is getting too much traffic. We also block all those proxy sites that were mentioned earlier. They are extremely dangerous to a network. Look at Sony, as the post mortem is done on the Sony hack some of what the hackers were able to access was due to proxy related issues.

Last edited:
It is most likely being tagged this way due to a setting in the firewall of your company. I am the admin for the firewall at my company and we have one of the most advanced devices made. It updates 17 times a day and I have no problems getting to the site, so this is not listed anywhere as a problem. Most likely it is set that way by a firewall policy at your company. I also ran the site against some security services we use to judge sites and I do not see any issues with the site. Your company most likely uses some sort of content filtering and it has updated or been configured to flag this site. We sometimes will block a non business related site if we see it is getting too much traffic. We also block all those proxy sites that were mentioned earlier. They are extremely dangerous to a network. Look at Sony, as the post mortem is done on the Sony hack some of what the hackers were able to access was due to proxy related issues.

Very, very interesting Paul...
I was not aware Sony had a problem like this....
What happened,, why / what was done,, and how long ago.....

Teddy

do you work for aerotech? that might be the problem :)

works for me.. probably a spurious filter, or it's being triggered by words like "ignition", "rocket" or whatever from their main page.

The company also might run some kind of URL filter which only permits access to categorized domains - it is conceivable that pro38.com isn't tagged in some systems so it gets put into the "no access" list. That doesn't mean that the site has a problem - it only means that the lack of categorization puts it as a potential risk and wisely the system blocks access. Generally all of the major players are more or less in "sync" but I imagine that the traffic level to pro38.com is probably pretty light. It also could be in a category which is blocked - it is possible that it could be incorrectly categorized in the guns/weapons/explosive/hazardous chemicals category due to the misconception that rocket propellant is explosive or some keywords like Propellant, ACPC or whatever. Who knows -it all depends on what vendor your company is using for URL filtering. I will concur with Paul that the sites I can quickly check don't have any crazy flags on it.

The North Korean govt sponsored the hacking of Sony because of Sony having a comedy movie coming out on Christmas having to do with assassinating Kim Jong Un. They managed to get into Sonys network and stole over 10 TB of data. Including employee records, contracts, emails, scripts, budgets, etc. They have told theaters that if they show the movie there will be a 9/11 like attack in theaters showing they movie. The theaters and Sony have bowed to the pressure and have pulled the movie.

Back