Ultimate Wildman - L3 Cert Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, the magic wait time on rocket poxy is 35 min (@ 70-72' and 20-25%RH) I lay the material on the rocket and them let it sit for 35 min. Then I shape the fillet and pull the tape off right away.

For me, the magic wait time on rocket poxy is 35 min (@ 70-72' and 20-25%RH) I lay the material on the rocket and them let it sit for 35 min. Then I shape the fillet and pull the tape off right away.

I'm gonna try the extra time you mentioned as well Jason. Thanks.

For me, the magic trick was to mix it on a smooth sheet of cardboard and spread it out really thin, like frosting a cake. No bubbles survive that process. The amount of time you wait is dependent on room temp. Here is sunny AZ, that's about 10 min. I scrape it off the mixing board with a flat spatula device and lay it into the fin root/BT joint smoothly, then run out the fillet with a short piece of 1" PVC pipe dipped in alcohol.

External fillets complete. Only thing left to do with this build is paint & decals. I don't have an area inside to paint and outside it's still in the 40s so I'll have to just wait.

Also want to type up a prelaunch checklist for this rocket. Probably should have done this sooner with other rockets but haven't. Don't want to forget any steps with this one.

Congrats on all the progress you made. No paint necessary for a shake out flight---how about Bong in April? I'll even fetch it for Ya. 😃

Congrats on all the progress you made. No paint necessary for a shake out flight---how about Bong in April? I'll even fetch it for Ya. 😃

I agree with you on no paint needed for shake out flight but April is no good. I don't have the 75mm or 98mm hardware yet (except for clubs 4G 98 but that's too much motor for a shake out flight). I'm hoping to buy the 75mm CTI starter set in June for my birthday. I'm sure someone would loan me something but I have a Wildman Darkstar 4" DD that needs to be flown. Already have a J355 and K635 for that bird.

I don't know why but I don't like to fly a new build until it's finished.....
Someone here on TRF coined the term---
Is it finished
or is it finished finished...
I don't like to fly until there's absolutely nothing left to do but enjoy flying it again and again....

No matter,, just a weird thing for me I guess....

Teddy

I agree with you on no paint needed for shake out flight but April is no good. I don't have the 75mm or 98mm hardware yet (except for clubs 4G 98 but that's too much motor for a shake out flight). I'm hoping to buy the 75mm CTI starter set in June for my birthday. I'm sure someone would loan me something but I have a Wildman Darkstar 4" DD that needs to be flown. Already have a J355 and K635 for that bird.

Call me an enabler, I have a 2 grain, 4 grain, 5 grain and 6 grain CTI 75mm case you can use as well as spacer if you need it.😈

Call me an enabler, I have a 2 grain, 4 grain, 5 grain and 6 grain CTI 75mm case you can use as well as spacer if you need it.��

That's really nice of you Russell,,,,
I'd have done the same but it'd be Aerotech cases......lol....

Oh,, and its a bit far to go for the launch....

Teddy

Thanks for the offers everyone but I'm sticking to the plan. I have about three flights I want to do with my Wildman Darkstar 4" DD, then an L flight with the Ultimate Wildman, then an M flight for L3 Cert.

Teddy, I fly both AT and CTI so I'm not picky about cases. You need to come fly out at Bong, everyone should fly at Bong.

Russ, I may still take you up on borrowing a case if I'm not able to make my purchase in June.

Ok, sticking to the plan didn't even last a day. Wildman and CTI have a Cert 3 special I can't pass up.

Tim has a way of doing that. Should we take a road trip to Princeton Saturday? They have a launch. (Reprising my Enabler character).

Totally serious. I was thinking of going and having a co-pilot always makes the trip better.

Waiting for outside temps to get above 60 to do some spray painting. Thursday looks like a possibility to get a prime coat on. Color scheme I have chosen is white nose cone, orange payload (with white flames coming off nose cone), black switch band, orange booster down to where fins start and then black the rest of the way. Ultimate Wildman text will be in white on the orange section of the booster. I'm hoping the white will keep the rocket from looking too Halloweenish. Text and flames are from Stickershock23.

Last edited:
That's really cool...
Did you guy's go together...
You're fortunate to be near enough to each other...
I'd love to make some distant launches this year,,,
but I talk a lot when the thousand mile trip is months away....lol....

Teddy

Waiting for outside temps to get above 60 to do some spray painting. Thursday looks like a possibility to get a prime coat on. Color scheme I have chosen is white nose cone, orange payload (with white flames coming off nose cone), black switch band, orange booster down to where fins start and then black the rest of the way. Ultimate Wildman text will be in white on the orange section of the booster. I'm hoping the white will keep the rocket from looking too Halloweenish. Text and flames are from Stickershock23.

Jeff- that is an awesome sounding color combo. I'm thinking I might try some primer tomorrow. It is supposed to be 58 but sunny. Thursday we have 61 but 80% chance of rain.

Jeff- that is an awesome sounding color combo. I'm thinking I might try some primer tomorrow. It is supposed to be 58 but sunny. Thursday we have 61 but 80% chance of rain.

The car temp gauge said it was 61 on the drive home from work so I put a coat of primer on the nose cone and switch band. Tomorrow after work hope to do payload section. Rain on Thursday will mess up my plans.

That's really cool...
Did you guy's go together...
You're fortunate to be near enough to each other...
I'd love to make some distant launches this year,,,
but I talk a lot when the thousand mile trip is months away....lol....

Teddy

No Teddy, we didn't make it down to Princeton last weekend. We'll try another time.

Accomplished a lot of spray painting the last couple of days. Still need to do orange section between black switch band and black fins.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1428018511.144435.jpg

That's really cool Jeff,,,
Comin out smokin....
Did ya get any cross eyed looks from your neighbors yet....lol...

Teddy

Not when I'm spray painting. When I test my DD charges is another story.

Ha,,,
That's funny Jeff...
I found the perfect solution to that...
I have neighbors 10 yr old daughter push the button.....
Big explanation,, big safety aspect...
she's the right age to be very interested...
And she get's quite a kick out of pushing the button....

Teddy

So my original plan when I bought this kit was to do a Cert 3 attempt in June 2016. My new schedule moves that up by 11 months (this obviously was not a government project). I plan to do a shakedown flight on June 20 with a L1355. My Cert 3 attempt will be July 25 on a M2075. That weekend is our clubs regional event ECOF (Eat Cheese Or Fly).

So my original plan when I bought this kit was to do a Cert 3 attempt in June 2016. My new schedule moves that up by 11 months (this obviously was not a government project). I plan to do a shakedown flight on June 20 with a L1355. My Cert 3 attempt will be July 25 on a M2075. That weekend is our clubs regional event ECOF (Eat Cheese Or Fly).

Most awesome.👏🍻😎😃. I'm glad to hear your not gonna make me wait till Midwest Power to see that baby fly. Seriously, it will be a cool that you'll get your L3 at our clubs largest event. Look forward to being out at the pad with you and tracking it with you

Most awesome.👏🍻😎😃. I'm glad to hear your not gonna make me wait till Midwest Power to see that baby fly. Seriously, it will be a cool that you'll get your L3 at our clubs largest event. Look forward to being out at the pad with you and tracking it with you

Thanks Russ, I'll appreciate all the help you can give me. And when can I expect to help you with your L3?

Back