Ultimate Wildman - L3 Cert Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff2space

Reaction score
I purchased an Ultimate Wildman from Wildman's 2014 Black Saturday Sale. This thread will take you through my step by step process in building the rocket and attempting my NAR L3 Certification. I will pick up the kit in January so no pre-build pictures yet but per Wildman's website the kit consists of:

•6”x60" slotted fiberglass booster = 6lb 12.7oz
•6”x30" fiberglass payload bay = 3lb 5.1oz
•6”x6" fiberglass switch band = 10.5oz
•6”x18" fiberglass coupler = 2lb 12.4oz
•6” fiberglass molded nosecone = 1lb 6.2oz
•98mm fiberglass motor mount = 1lb 0.8oz
•3 Centering rings = 2.1oz each
•2 6” aluminum AV Bay Lids = 4.0oz each
•6” wood nosecone coupler bulk plate = 7.9oz
•Kevlar bridal = 1.65oz
•3 3/16” beveled thick g10 fiberglass fins = 8.35oz each

I will update this thread as the project progresses but I do not build quickly so please be patient. I enjoy the construction process even more than the launch. The launch to me is the culmination of a successful build. I am currently looking at a mid 2016 launch at my home launch site of Richard Bong State Recreation Area, WI. Our waiver is 10,000' MSL so I'm currently planning on using a CTI 75mm M Motor (5472-M2250 C-Star or 6287-M2075 Smokey Sam).

I welcome constructive replies.

Last edited:
I bought the M2250 for a L3 shot in the UDS...showing a 8:1 thrust ratio so no worries there.

Kenny

Subscribed. I have the Ultimate Darkstar and plan to build it next summer. Looking forward to your build.
Wildman told me that it should be about a 25 lb. rocket when finished, and his favorite motor for it is the CTI M2505. I'm planning to use that motor for it's first flight, and also have an AT N2000....

Last edited:
subscribed... Sounds like we both have the same plans next year.

FYI .. Tim email me that the M2250 c-star is being discontinued, and I went with m1850 c-star instead.

Jeff- I'll be following this closely, I'm excited for you and the Ultimate is an awesome kit. I'm glad to see your doing the trifecta at Bong. I plan on doing that as well. Your builds are all very detailed. Make sure when you pick your launch date, let me know as I won't miss it.

Looks like I'll see you at the trailer in January. Since I missed the sale, I will live vicariously thru other people's purchases.

Jeff- I'll be following this closely, I'm excited for you and the Ultimate is an awesome kit. I'm glad to see your doing the trifecta at Bong. I plan on doing that as well. Your builds are all very detailed. Make sure when you pick your launch date, let me know as I won't miss it.

Looks like I'll see you at the trailer in January. Since I missed the sale, I will live vicariously thru other people's purchases.

Thanks Russ. Yes, see you at the trailer in January. Hope you have a great holidays and I can't wait to see your L3.

subscribed... Sounds like we both have the same plans next year.

FYI .. Tim email me that the M2250 c-star is being discontinued, and I went with m1850 c-star instead.
Probably for the best, this is what it did to an Ultimate Wildman last summer.
ouch m2250.jpg

Great choice, I just completed my L3 with the Wildman Ultimate in August using a M3100 to 6600'.

Chadrod: Did you glue your grains to the liner?

I saw a video on youtube on how he put the reload together, he glued them in..
Not my rocket, I couldn't say. How who put the reload together?

Sorry to muddy up your thread Jeff, was not my intent. Feel free to have all the off topic stuff removed. :)

Yes, I have a M2250 myself..so very curious what was deemed to be the problem .

Kenny
Maybe a good topic to discuss in the propulsion section, for those that have these motors laying around. I can post video of this flight (tomorrow), but I won't do it in this thread.

Sorry to muddy up your thread Jeff, was not my intent. Feel free to have all the off topic stuff removed. :)

Not a problem Chad. I'm glad to have this discussion on motors. I was thinking last night it would be nice to have a 98mm case on hand for mounting the AeroPack so I may have to invest in one sooner rather than later. If I do I might end up going with a 98mm 3 grain motor for certification. I could always borrow a case from someone too for construction. Chad, doesn't WOOSH own a 4 grain 98mm case?

Not a problem Chad. I'm glad to have this discussion on motors. I was thinking last night it would be nice to have a 98mm case on hand for mounting the AeroPack so I may have to invest in one sooner rather than later. If I do I might end up going with a 98mm 3 grain motor for certification. I could always borrow a case from someone too for construction. Chad, doesn't WOOSH own a 4 grain 98mm case?
Yes - a CTI set. I have no idea who has it at this point though.

Well if it's ok with you I'll throw it in. I heard of a couple other failures of this motor this past year, but I don't remember any specifics. Flight pictured above is at 8:30 in this compilation.
[video=youtube_share;crJoitj_7kc]https://youtu.be/crJoitj_7kc?list=UUYRDn6OR-_C8H49tTDsvHnQ[/video]

[video=youtube;JYYYqeniVwE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYYYqeniVwE[/video]

here is the video of the guy putting his reload together..

So I know absolutely nothing about that motor. Was there a problem with what he did in the video?

So I know absolutely nothing about that motor. Was there a problem with what he did in the video?

nothing wrong with the video, he just had to glue the grains to the liner.. it was new to me.

I sort feel like a thread hi-jacker :(

Was the interior of the liner a; smooth or rough surface?
I usually hone them out before bonding.

Always double check all the parts fit before using the glue!

I've never assembled any CTI larger motors but, have done quite a few EX motors.

JD

nothing wrong with the video, he just had to glue the grains to the liner.. it was new to me.

I sort feel like a thread hi-jacker :(

The motor in the assembly video was flown successfully 3 years ago, if you search his you tube feed you'll see the flight. Not the same person as the CATO flight apparently.

The motor in the assembly video was flown successfully 3 years ago, if you search his you tube feed you'll see the flight. Not the same person as the CATO flight apparently.

Got it. Thanks. Confusing. Sorry about the thread hijack.

Received a couple accessories for my project today. Will be using an Aero Pack RA98 for motor retention mounted to a SC Precision Thrust Plate. First time using a thrust plate but want to make sure I can throw any motor I want into this rocket and not worry. Will pick up kit from Wildman on Saturday. Hope to assemble CR to MMT on Monday since I have off.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1421366901.453900.jpg

Look forward to seeing you and hear more about project on Saturday. You flying anything?

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1421684676.255094.jpg
Picked up Ultimate Wildman kit on Saturday. Updated my first post with weights of each part. Will update my OpenRocket file and post when complete.

Back