Ultimate Wildman - L3 Cert Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Main charge had 3.5 grams of black powder and I may add a little more. Definitely will for the backup main. I did two test but first one didn't make it onto video. Second try I think the batteries in the launch controller I used we're going dead. It took a few try to ignite.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1431802828.243870.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1431802850.758851.jpg

Wow! That drogue charge seems way to strong to me! Hope your shear pins on the nose cone hold when it hits the end of that shock cord.

If the drogue is attached near the payload, all you need is enough charge to open the rocket and get the drogue in the air stream. The drag of the drogue will take care of pulling everything else out.

Last edited:
Wow! That drogue charge seems way to strong to me! Hope your shear pins on the nose cone hold when it hits the end of that shock cord.

If the drogue is attached near the payload, all you need is enough charge to open the rocket and get the drogue in the air stream. The drag of the drogue will take care of pulling everything else out.

Looks fine to me. I had an ultimate darkstar almost NOT deploy with 5 grams. If it weren't for the 7 gram back up, it would have crashed. I was able to see this on the on board video. I am a fan of a bigger charge and long enough shock cord to avoid hyper extending and bottoming out. I would use the 5 but make sure the cord is nice and long to help bleed off some energy. I use about 40 feet in the drogue and 30 in the main on my ultimate. 20 flights with this set up.

Give me too much time to think and I'll come up with something to worry about. I've never used a RRC3 and I have two new ones in this rocket. So I decided to ground test the primary RRC3 using the LCDT. Was able to light both Drogue and Main ejection lighters with no issues. Think I'm good to go.

Just a thought.....
Wildman uses 6 grams
Crazy Jim uses 6 grams
I use 6 grams....

while 5 might do it on the ground standing still, you will be working against air pressure up there...

BTW your cert motor rocks! I did my L3 on my Ultimate Wildman and the same motor! Good luck!

Just a thought.....
Wildman uses 6 grams
Crazy Jim uses 6 grams
I use 6 grams....

while 5 might do it on the ground standing still, you will be working against air pressure up there...

BTW your cert motor rocks! I did my L3 on my Ultimate Wildman and the same motor! Good luck!

Thanks for the comment, I will consider. Wildman did shorten the Ultimate by 15 inches (the payload section is only 30" long instead of 45").

T-7 days and counting for shakedown flight. Weather is not favorable at this time for next weekend. Keeping fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed.............
Going to be a perfect flight..

Teddy

T-7 days and counting for shakedown flight. Weather is not favorable at this time for next weekend. Keeping fingers crossed.

I'm getting pretty excited about your flight also. I don't usually put to much stock in our weathermen to predict out 7 days. I've seen them struggle with the daily forecast.

I'm getting pretty excited about your flight also. I don't usually put to much stock in our weathermen to predict out 7 days. I've seen them struggle with the daily forecast.

I agree but I tend to watch the weather as soon as the 10 day forecast comes out. It goes back to the days when I use to go down to Florida for Shuttle launches and would watch the weather closely. Now I do it on our club launches. Russ, I'm really going to need your help with this beast. I don't want to take up too much of your time. My current plan is to launch between 12:00 noon and 1:00. Weather permitting we'll see you Saturday.

I agree but I tend to watch the weather as soon as the 10 day forecast comes out. It goes back to the days when I use to go down to Florida for Shuttle launches and would watch the weather closely. Now I do it on our club launches. Russ, I'm really going to need your help with this beast. I don't want to take up too much of your time. My current plan is to launch between 12:00 noon and 1:00. Weather permitting we'll see you Saturday.

You don't have to worry about taking up my time. This shakeout flight is my highlight for the launch. I'm available to you for everything from double checks if you need it to carrying it, getting pics, helping track it and recovery and carry back. We can consider it a dry run for MWP. If I drive you nuts Saturday- I'll know what not to do on launch day.😃

I was thinking, maybe you might want to consider using trackers above and below AV Bay - just in case. I've got a spare if you like.

I was thinking, maybe you might want to consider using trackers above and below AV Bay - just in case. I've got a spare if you like.

Great minds think alike. I bought a second transmitter on a different freq. My main transmitter will be with Drogue chute and backup will be in AV Bay. That's the current plan.

Great minds think alike. I bought a second transmitter on a different freq. My main transmitter will be with Drogue chute and backup will be in AV Bay. That's the current plan.

Sounds like a great plan. Should have known you had that base covered.

You don't have to worry about taking up my time. This shakeout flight is my highlight for the launch. I'm available to you for everything from double checks if you need it to carrying it, getting pics, helping track it and recovery and carry back. We can consider it a dry run for MWP. If I drive you nuts Saturday- I'll know what not to do on launch day.��

That's fantastic...
You guy's are super cool....
Sharing these things, like this special flight with someone like-minded makes all the difference...
All the best to you both....
That flight is going to go perfectly....

Teddy

Good flight today. 4,691 feet! Thanks Russ for helping me pull out of swamp. Everything will be dry for next month's L3 cert (July 25). Might have pics from Russ later this week (maybe a video too).

Way to go !

Thanks for sharing ...

Did younever think you'd would ever say the phrase 'its just an L ...' in reference to one of your flights?

Kenny

Woooopppppp.....
Man I'm so glad for ya Jeff...
Superb flight...
Exactly the same as the "M" flight is going to go,,, cept a bit higher...lol...

Great pic's Russ......

Both of you should come to LDRS...
It's only a hop, skip, and a jump....lol....

Teddy

Did you ever think you'd would ever say the phrase 'its just an L ...' in reference to one of your flights?
Kenny

To answer your question, no. But I'm loving the big rockets and loving the big motors. Love to build them and wish I could do more and bigger. But there is a budget I need to watch,

Jeff
You had a very nice flight on Sat. All went very well.
See Ya

Thanks Gary,
I am evaluating why it took so long for chute to open. Plus data showed a 30 fps decent rate. Luckily it land in soft (watery) ground. Thinking about using the 144" crossfire parachute and opening sooner.

I've reattached the following four photos from Saturday's flight. It shows the progression of Main chute deployment. From pics I see chute got caught in nose cone (not at first, but soon after deployment). Looking for input from others here. It is a 120" crossfire parachute connected at nosecone. Would connecting further down shock cord be better? Was this just a fluke? As seen from last photo chute did finally open. Thanks again Russ for great photos so I could evaluate this.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1434998867.144669.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1434998880.445307.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1434998895.793343.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1434998907.309671.jpg

Last edited:
Nice flight. My shakedown was on the same motor :>
The chute just might take some time to open...most manufacturers will give you an approximate - but just bump up the height of the main by 100-200 feet. Just remember it's just drifting shortly after it opens. I'm a 800 foot guy myself.
The other thing it could be the way you pack it...but it works so I'd not be inclined to change it.

Back