Ultimate Wildman - L3 Cert Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All parts get a wash first thing to remove some of the fiberglass dust. Slight sanding of edges needed on Centering Rings to fit MMT and Booster section.

Yes, I put weights on the first post. The molded nosecone weights 22.2 oz. Not sure how much the PML fiberglass nosecones weigh.
Weight difference really isn't much. My old stuff is 25.2 oz./foot, your new stuff is 21.2 oz./ft. No big gain there.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1421700716.487167.jpg

I'm using wood for the aft CR along with tee nuts to secure the trust ring. CR in picture is only tacked on with CA. Will go back and epoxy later. Thrust ring can be unscrewed and used on another project along with Aero Pack if desired.

How long are the tubes? That payload bay looks pretty short, especially comparing it to the coupler and shoulder lengths.

Edit: read the first post. Could be deceiving in the photo, but the payload looks shorter than half of the 60" booster.

How long are the tubes? That payload bay looks pretty short, especially comparing it to the coupler and shoulder lengths.

Edit: read the first post. Could be deceiving in the photo, but the payload looks shorter than half of the 60" booster.

Yes, that's just the angle the photo was taken. Booster is 60" long and payload is 30". Coupler (E-Bay) is 18" with a 6" switch band.

Yes, that's just the angle the photo was taken. Booster is 60" long and payload is 30". Coupler (E-Bay) is 18" with a 6" switch band.
I wonder why the payload section is so much shorter than the Darkstar? It's is 48", guess I just assumed they would be the same.

I wonder why the payload section is so much shorter than the Darkstar? It's is 48", guess I just assumed they would be the same.

The website show the Ultimate Wildman and Darkstar the same size (60" booster and 30" payload). Maybe Tim gave you a longer payload.

The website show the Ultimate Wildman and Darkstar the same size (60" booster and 30" payload). Maybe Tim gave you a longer payload.
Heh, I never even looked to see what the DS was supposed to be. Guess I got a bonus!

Wasn't totally happy with placement of aft CR so I reset it. Glad it was only tacked. It's now epoxied into place. Also epoxied tee nuts. Top two CR notched for Kevlar bridal which will be attached next.

Wow, they redesigned it! Mine has a 54 inch booster and 48 inch payload bay, but the same 6 inch switch band. This one's shorter!

Seeing several Cheese-a-roni motors (H all the way through M impulse) blow last year has got me steering clear of them whenever possible...

Jeff - good looking build! My only comment so far is to check and see if your payload section will be long enough to fit your main chute. Wildman seems to enjoy short payload sections. (Edit: I just realized you have a 6" airframe, so nevermind!)
If you end up flying a smokey motor just make sure you won't have the clean the pad afterwards. ;)

Seeing several Cheese-a-roni motors (H all the way through M impulse) blow last year has got me steering clear of them whenever possible...

Jeff - good looking build! My only comment so far is to check and see if your payload section will be long enough to fit your main chute. Wildman seems to enjoy short payload sections. (Edit: I just realized you have a 6" airframe, so nevermind!)
If you end up flying a smokey motor just make sure you won't have the clean the pad afterwards. ;)

My thoughts exactly. My Skyangle XXL, inside of an XL free bag (not XXL, so it's snug) fits pretty easily in my Hawk Mountain Proteus payload bay, and that's a 48" tube. My guess is that he will be fine, but it may be tight. Recess that nosecone bulkhead into the shoulder to make room!

My only comment so far is to check and see if your payload section will be long enough to fit your main chute. Wildman seems to enjoy short payload sections. (Edit: I just realized you have a 6" airframe, so nevermind!)

I don't have the chute yet. When I do I'll check if I have enough space. Not sure why the payload was shortened, good thing I don't have an inferiority complex. :facepalm::smile:

Cert 3 XL is the chute I use. No D-bag, I'm just not that excited about installing potential failure points. Fits, no problems what so ever. At least for the 20+ flights I have on it.

Your mileage may vary.....

Cert 3 XL is the chute I use. No D-bag, I'm just not that excited about installing potential failure points. Fits, no problems what so ever. At least for the 20+ flights I have on it.

Your mileage may vary.....
I've never used a deployment bag either. Too many variables IMO...

Wow Jeff, your moving right along on this project. Looks great and the thrust plate in red looks cool.

What exactly does the thrust ring allow you to do?

The picture below is from SC Precision's website. The red is the thrust plate, orange is the aft centering ring, and green is the booster body tube. What a thrust ring does is transfer all the motor thrust load to the body tube rather than through the motor mount tube and centering rings.

View attachment 253053

The picture below is from SC Precision's website. The red is the thrust plate, orange is the aft centering ring, and green is the booster body tube. What a thrust ring does is transfer all the motor thrust load to the body tube rather than through the motor mount tube and centering rings.

View attachment 253053

I always assumed that with the TTW fin attachment to the MMT and BT, that kind of direct transfer wasn't needed. If you thrust against the MMT, the fin attachment transferred thrust to the BT. To me, that didn't seem to be a weak point that need to be by-passed. Am I missing something?

Back