Anyone have experience of using a CTI K1440

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am about to launch on one of these for the first time at the weekend. I have been given dire warnings that it will probably rip my rocket apart. The rocket is 4" Carbon Fiber weighing approx 8lbs without motor. I'm pretty confident it will hold up OK. Looking at the rocksim stats it will pull a maximum of about 40g. Given that people are warning me about using it, I was just wondering what peoples experience of this motor is.

I love this motor...actually all White Thunder motors. Real grunts.

I flew several, one in a 54min. with the fins only filleted on.

All rockets are......... just motor holders.
I see no problem flying this in a 4in rocket , that has been properly constructed. That is the real issue, not the motor.

What rocket is it?

Last edited:
I flew one in my 3in Wildman DD with no extra reinforcements on fins....flew fast and high but was fine . You will be fine in my opinion.

I am about to launch on one of these for the first time at the weekend. I have been given dire warnings that it will probably rip my rocket apart. The rocket is 4" Carbon Fiber weighing approx 8lbs without motor. I'm pretty confident it will hold up OK. Looking at the rocksim stats it will pull a maximum of about 40g. Given tuhat people are warning me about using it, I was just wondering what peoples experience of this motor is.

I have flown it in a minimum diameter space cowboy with only external fillets (no tip to tip carbon or glass) the rocket held up. That is one of my favorite motors out there.

Ive flown the K1200 in a 4in fiberglass to 9700 ft, awesome flight! Main out at apogee and it landed 2.5 miles away!

Crazy Jim is spot on. ALL CTI White Thunder motors are (Q the music) Bad To The Bone! Your rocket should do fine. I have flown several K1400 and love the motor. It can be 24mm or 98mm, WT will get the job done. One word of warning. This motor in your 8lb. rocket will snap your neck! Enjoy the flight. Pictures please!!!! Always have fun, Tim

It'll be fine. It'll go some but it'll be fine. Was that off Malcolm? What did he charge out of interest?

Last edited:
I love this motor...actually all White Thunder motors. Real grunts.

I flew several, one in a 54min. with the fins only filleted on.

All rockets are......... just motor holders.
I see no problem flying this in a 4in rocket , that has been properly constructed. That is the real issue, not the motor.

What rocket is it?

It is this one https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?119713-Deep-Purple-by-Misha-Rocketry-Build-Thread

Many thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement, I like to push myself, it's no fun if the outcome is a guaranteed success. I did consider a CTI K660 first, then a CTI L730 which is pretty similar in altitude and terminal velocity, just doesn't have the wow factor of the K1440.

Hopefully there will be 3 or 4 people taking photos and videos let's just hope one of them gets more than an empty launch pad surrounded by smoke. It's gonna clear the pad in 0.115 Seconds.

PyroPete, yes I bought it off Malcolm for £170 basically it's pounds for dollars for stuff imported from the US, and Malcolm warned me when I bought it that it may destroy my rocket. So anyway it'll burn at exactly £100 per second :) This reminds me I'll be in South Wales in the new year as I'm visiting friends in Monmouth, so if you need anything from Malcolm that requires an explosives licence I can bring it up to you, or anything else for that matter. (I live approx 10 miles from him).

One of my favorite motors :dark:

I have flown them in 4 inch, 3 inch, and MD rockets. A 4 inch CF rocket should have no problem handling that motor.

Simon, that's a really nice job you did there!

Just a quick comment on your build in case you didn't do this:

Be sure to have a small vent hole on both the fin can & payload to bleed of excess internal air pressure. [1/8in or close]
Once that button is pushed the black beauty is going to moving like a scalded cat & you don't want anything separating due to internal pressure trying to equalize with external. I did not see mention of this in your build.

Good luck & have fun with this flight!

Back