Oh no I broke it! What's a good glue for fired clay?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvanc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I feel terrible; I broke one of my kids' holiday decorations made years ago in school. It's typical fired clay, hard and porous. The mating surfaces are pretty tight. What kind of glue do you think will work? Medium CA, maybe?

Thanks from a Dad about to be in TROUBLE...

Gorilla glue, use as per the instructions. Wet the surfaces, apply a very thin layer, clamp and let dry.

Actually, if it is porous, I'd try good ol' Elmers, or even better Weldbond or RC56/Formula560. Just clamp it together while the glue dries.

Medium CA (or better thick CA) will do it but the joint will be brittle and likely to fail again. That the joint fit is good and tight is a plus and will help if you do go the CA route. Clamp it together and resist the urge to check if it's cured for much longer than you think you should....

Yep, used Zap medium CA to re-assemble clay ornaments that made it home safe from Planet X in Black Rock country, but didn't survive the drop from the kids once home!

Good as new!

-Eric-

Back