Anybody else play trumpet?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried playing clarinet in 4th grade. Turns out I had my father's musical talent (none). My brother, however, is a great musician. He played flute and piccolo in high school. Then stopped for a little while, but would go to games and play with the pep band during basketball season. Later on, the old hs music teacher convinced him to try out for the DeKalb municipal band where he's played ever since. He also joined a local symphony and played a few saxophones (alto and barry, then soprano) plus flute and piccolo. A couple of years ago, he started a small (20ish members) jazz band (big band style). They mostly play retirement homes for a very modest fee (like $50.00) but they've been hired for things like car dealership grand openings and open houses. They charge around $500.00 for these and donate all the money they make to the music programs at the 2 local high schools. The music programs are woefully under funded (funny, the football teams have money to waste... :eyeroll: ) So his band is a 501c thingy. The jazz band is quite good, and he's quite busy with the band now.

Adrian

Interesting thread. I was in school chorus in Jr. and High School. That's where I learned how to read music. In early High School, I taught myself how to play the recorder, then how to play the tuba. I never wanted to play in the band. I just went in after school and they let me use one of the instruments and a practice room if it was free.

For you other tuba players out there: [video=youtube;Kmz-txorRgQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmz-txorRgQ[/video]

I don't know why, but I picked up a pocket trumpet. It was "scratch & dent", so I got it for $75 off. It's got two or three tiny dents that you can't hardly see, and no scratches that I've seen. Some of the notes are a little flat, but I expected that. It's not made for performing, but practicing. Otherwise it plays pretty good. I love the dark gray and gold finish. It is a cute little thing. It came with a 7C mouthpiece, which I don't like. I need to dig out my Bach 3C. It also takes full size trumpet mutes which surprised me.

pocket_121814_1.jpg

pocket_121814_2.jpg

pocket_121814_3.jpg

pocket_121814_4.jpg

pocket_121814_5.jpg

pocket_121814_6.jpg

pocket_121814_7.jpg

pocket_121814_8.jpg

pocket_121814_9.jpg

I play bass trombone. Went to college in PA majoring in music education and, of course, trombone. I got chosen to play with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra once. Unfortunately, money became an issue and I had to leave before I could finish. Now I play with a local community band and write some music for them from time to time. I also play with a swing orchestra for a little extra money on the side from time to time.

Back