Best Starter Kits?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimmyR

Reaction score
I know this must be asked a lot. Christmas is coming and I want to get my son a starter kit. He's 10 and because I used to (a long time ago) build Estes, I was leaning toward one of their kits. Does any kit stand out as a really good starter kit?

Thanks for answering this repeat question...

Welcome to the Forum.
They are all good!
Any Kit is a good kit, because watching Rockets that you put together fly will make everything better.
I like the Estes Crossfire ISX as a "Getting Back Into It Kit".
It is a Skill Level Nothing and can fly on everything from an A-Nothing to a C-Something!
It tends to fly quite nicely on all of them, and will inspire Ideas of Upscaling and Cloning as a Side-Effect.

It's got TTW Fins. The BT is 24mm.

[video=youtube;5X_KgWGQ5z8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X_KgWGQ5z8&feature=autoshare[/video]

+1 for the Estes Tandem X. two great rockets that are easy to build. The Amazon is a nice big rocket with a slow ascent. The Crossfire is great fun and can really get up and go. It is easy to find the kit for cheap. I have seen them at Michaels for $30 and they have a 50% off coupon online. All you need is motors.

That Tandem-X set is a good choice. One of the nice features of the Estes web site is the Instructions library. Gives you a chance to see what you're getting into, construction wise.

https://www.estesrockets.com/media/instructions/001469_TANDEMX.pdf

I've seen a lot of these starter sets at club launches over the years so here are my random observations. Stay away from the Flash or Taser models; I've seen too many come back in pieces after just one flight. Larger diameter models (1 inch or greater) are easier to prep, look better on the pad and in the air and are easier to find on the ground. You might enjoy the Helicat or Sky Twister sets with the helicopter recovery nose cones. They require a little extra care to prep but those spinning nose cones are just too cool.

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you then check them out to see what they have and use their 40% coupon for a nice discount. https://www.hobbylobby.com/weekly/coupon.cfm

Good luck and come back with pictures of the big launch.

I'll third (fourth?) the Tandom X set. The amazon should be a good first rocket with little to no building, and a decent size and performance. Then, the crossfire is a great first kit rocket. the fins are resilient and easy to align with the TTW, and its got nice lines. plus, it can be a good first kit to get "way up there"

Nate

Thanks! I went with the TandemX set for my son and he really liked it. The E2X was a great place to start. Crossfire is next up and we have a couple of Fliskit rockets on order. The Amazon is a GREAT first time rocket for a kid. The size of it and no painting made it perfect.

Looking forward to a few more launches for sure.

My advice is that you should go to the hobby store and see what interests you. My experience in model rockets is to start with either Levels RTF, E2X, or Skill Level 1 Rockets. I hope my advice is helpful?

Xan

You might want to look for a rocket club that is close to where you live. You will get tons of great advice and meet other people who like rocketry. They will also have a good field that you can use. Where do you live?

Back