Anyone planning to watch Ascension?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
Ascension is a SyFy mini series about colonists aboard a generational starship. The starship is based on the Orion nuclear rocket design. According to the storyline, the ship was launched secretly in 1963, and now, 50 years later, it is halfway to its destination. I really have no idea if this show will be any good at all, but I am interested in seeing the starship. Some SyFy series are absolutely horrible, while others have been OK.

The show starts tonight, December 15, and runs for 3 episodes.

Is anyone planning to watch?

I'm watching ID4 now and waiting for Ascension. I'm managing my expextions. I doubt it'll be as good as Battlestar Galactica, but can't be any worse than the Sharknado movies.

Yep --- there's quite a range of possibilities between BSG and Sharknado...

I'm putting Ascension on the DVR and will check it out when I get the chance. Probably not tonight.

Here's an article about it on Space.com https://www.space.com/28013-ascension-syfy-tv-miniseries-project-orion.html They talk briefly about Orion, and there's some info about the show. I think the idea that the ship would have launched in the 1960's, and those aboard it might be using 1963 retro tech 50 years later while on an interstellar mission is kind of interesting. We shall see.

I have my dvr set. I am hoping that it is closer to BSG in quality than Megashark vs Giant octopus.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Or the Rock Monster movie. True schlock- silly, stupid, and weirdly fun. I also grew up enjoying, and admittedly still enjoy, Godzilla movies.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

This one has some top-notch eye-candy, and I'm not just talking about the rocket! They've got Tricia Helfer from BSG. So if nothing else, there's that.

If the conversation here trends to the positive, I'll catch it sometime, somehow. Too much else going on this time of year and I have to focus on the final week of The Colbert Report.

Well, it was a military program, you know how they are.

Guess we shouldn't put any spoilers on until the second night?
I will refrain from mentioning an Outer Limits episode from 1963.

1963-The-Outer-Limits-Nightmare-1000x723.jpg

Last edited:
Please avoid any spoilers for awhile! My wife and I are on a binge-watch of Deadwood, so it might be a few days before I get to Ascension. Thanks.

Same here...avoid the spoilers!

I didn't know until today that David Brin (yes, that David Brin) was a consultant on the story/script.

FC

Soooo.....Did any of you see that coming?

Yeah, I figured it was that-or they messed up physics again.
I was hoping for more, you know, Space, this is more like general hospital so far..... Maybe, "Pigs in Spaaaaace!"
Regardless I'm still gonna watch it.

I like to watch TV series' in rapid succession without daily/weekly (and commercial) time breaks so I have this queued up for recording awaiting a lazy weekend evening.

Last edited:
Without saying any details beyond what's been mentioned....

I hope they have a good conclusion for this to make it worth spending any more time watching, after having revealed something very notable at the end of part 1. However, I'm concerned they won't have a suitable ending, because if it gets enough viewers, it'll become a series, so they'd need to avoid the kind of conclusion that they OUGHT to have, if it was a true mini-series. But if they concluded the mini-series the most deserving way, it would leave little left to turn it into a series.

And the initial overnight viewing numbers are not good, very unlikely that it'll get picked up as a series.

Last time I was in this dilemma with SyFy was their "Tin Man" miniseries, a re-imagining of the Wizard of Oz. I was disappointed with the first night, but figured the next would get better. It didn't. But then I'd watched the first two, why not watch the third, maybe there'd be a good ending for it, to justify watching the first two nights. Nope, it didn't. And "Tin Man" didn't have the dilemma of trying to have an ending that could leave the door open for a regular series.

I've set the DVR to record it anyway. But now if I watch it, it will something playing in the background while on the computer, rather than something I watch without distractions, like NCIS.

- George Gassaway

Not sure where they go with this after letting the cat out of the bag last night.

BTW: how do they explain everyone walking around in 1G inside the ship?....it doesn't appear to have a rotating component.

Last edited:
watched the first part and half of the second. My verdict.. too much talking, not enough space.

:)

Not sure where they go with this after letting the cat out of the bag last night.

BTW: how do they explain everyone walking around in 1G inside the ship?....it doesn't appear to have a rotating component.

I wondered the same thing... What about the ship being constantly under acceleration? Say 1g??? Not sure of the science of this, just thinking out loud....

Adrian

I wondered the same thing... What about the ship being constantly under acceleration? Say 1g??? Not sure of the science of this, just thinking out loud....

Adrian
I'm thinkin that's how they got away with it. They mentioned acceleration during that one part--no give aways--yea, didn't see that ending and I should have--started to wonder right before it though!!

Latest posts

Back