Nose cone adhesion in payload models

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelRapp

Reaction score
I feel like I am missing something very basic. I am about to embark on my first payload model, an Estes Reflector. Now, the nose cone just slides into the payload tube like any nose cone sliding into a body tube. How in the world does it stay attached during descent?

It would seem to me that after ejection, the nose cone would stand a good chance of shaking itself loose and plummeting away from the rocket. What am I missing?

If you're not going to be using the payload bay glue the nosecone on. if you are using it tape the shoulder for a tight fit. You could also use a removable plastic rivet.

Before mine got eaten by a tree, I used tape to friction fit it until it was VERY HARD to remove. This seemed to work pretty well with no separation issues.

I like using #2 brass woodscrews on balsa cone and 2-56 machine screws on plastic cones then I have positive retention

I use a strip of 1/2" wide Mirror Chrome Tape (christmas package Wrapping tape) or from a sheet of Chrome adhesive backed Monokote for added visual effect. or just a piece of Black electrical tape works very well. Clear Packing tape on Night Flying models as it holds up a bit better then Scotch Magic tape.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1418863072.676107.jpg
Short piece of Kevlar thread does it for me. (Kevlar=overkill, but I have it laying around so why not.)

Thanks Chris, I probably will do that. I have two goals, it looks like: 1) reduce the probability that I will lose the nose cone, and 2) reduce the probability that the nose cone will fall off, thus allowing the payload (stored in the "huge payload section" lol) to fall out.

Any consensus on tape to use? I only would leave it on for the launch....I was planning on using blue painter's tape. Not the best aesthetically, but at least it isn't supposed to mar the finish?

Honestly this is one of my least favorite parts of rockets. I typically add some tape to get the friction right, but what I truly want is some kind of latch or button mechanism.

Back