My wife builds a rocket and launches

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASA

Reaction score
She saw a few of my store bought and scratch built machines and decided to build one. She did find a 29 mm id cardboard tube. It was something that that I had found. She carved a nosecone from white foam and coated it with flox and white glue. The motor mount was something left over after losing a rocket. It had a 24 mm ID and a 29 mm OD. She glued it in and put on 4 simple fins left over from an estes Super Neon XL

It's weight without motor was 90 grains. We used an old D motor casing as a C6-5 motor holder for the first flight. Looking on a simulator it was marginal for launching but worked fine.
bexr1a.jpg

The thrustcurve site said it would go over 500 feet. We recovered it 50 yards away.

Yesterday we used a d12-5 and got a more aggressive launch, Was very straight and out of sight in a second. Thrustcurve.org said that it would go 1148 feet up with a 6 second delay fuse, our motor had a 5 sec delay. It has a 48x1 inch rip stop nylon streamer. Never found it It rained last night and again today. We went back in the woods and found it about 700 feet away from the launch.

It was a little damp and 3 of 4 fins were off but went back together well.
[video=youtube_share;SxFHJqMnpRs]https://youtu.be/SxFHJqMnpRs[/video]

90 grams close to 1400 grains. At least I didn't weigh it in stones or describe the altitude in Arshins

Last edited:
She got it together again with white glue. This time she made a mix of micro and white glue and faired in the fins. After refinishing it it is way smoother. We haven't decided whether to use another d12 or an E30 (@2200фут) The wind will have to be still. Maybe we will put an egg timer in it to find it. More is better.

Last edited:
I'm thinking you have a keeper there, fella...
I'd marry that girl... LOL!

Hi Verna, Mrs ASA here. Thanks. I really enjoy rocketry. Although I have to admit that I'm more into the design and build aspects and tend to leave the mechanical aspects to my husband. He tells me what is possible with what motor depending on what design I come up with. And I really enjoy carving and sculpting nose cones.

Once we launch and spend a day or two hunting our latest creation down in our timber, I'm watching the videos and muttering....bigger. It needs to be bigger.

Staging and clustering....okay, I'll look into that! Something for me do do these cold winter evenings we are facing.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Hi Back!

Welcome to TRF!

I understand, I got into rocketry because of my husband too and while I now love flying and building, my original interest was in the math surrounding it all but the more I watched, the more I wanted to participate in the hobby. Eventually we began going into schools to help teachers and students and finally joined a club that was active in outreach too. Many years later I still love having a hobby we can both enjoy, although I tend to gravitate to multiples of the same vehicle. I hope rocketry is something you both continue to enjoy.

TRF is pretty good as forums go. If you have any questions just ask and please post all the photos or videos you like. We all enjoy seeing what others are doing.

Verna
www.vernarockets.com
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJHOK6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O14ET8K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
https://www.facebook.com/RocketBabeDustStorm

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband talked me into joining. LOL it didn't take much convincing.

I wish I could say that I was into the math. Actually I'm more into the art of the sport. I look at a potential rocket body and imagine what shape nose cone I would carve for it. Then I go hunting for materials and get to work. I would like to start casting moulds using my nose cones. In all honesty traipsing all over our timber looking for a rocket gets tiresome after the first 2 days. Especially in winter.

Fortunately my husband and I share hobbies and interests ranging from dirt bike trail riding to rocketry. Now that we are newly retired. We have time to pursue them.

Back