AT casing question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunderll

Reaction score
Hi all, I still use the AT re-loadable hardware and a friend of mine has some he wants to sell to me. Over all they are in good shape, but I've known that on a few occasions he hasn't cleaned the cases for couple of days after use, leaving them just as they were when launched. The inside bore looks OK, and I don't see any surface problems, other than slight discoloration you can't feel with a toothpick etc...., but was curious if this might decrease the strength of the case. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Last edited:
I, too use AT reloads - and sometimes leave the cases for a few days. As long as they are thoroughly cleaned (I use Hoppe's #9 power solvent) to remove any residue) and threads lightly greased,
they should be fine.

Do clean them when you can. I have a 29/240 case severely etched and corroded in a section of the tube. Un-useable :(

Do clean them when you can. I have a 29/240 case severely etched and corroded in a section of the tube. Un-useable :(

Unuseable? It would have to be pretty bad to not be workable I would think.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

A few days? What if it went a few weeks?

After burning there is not exactly much to corrode, is there? I would think that they important part would be to get it entirely clean before reloading, rather than cleaning quickly, but I am not an expert.

Unuseable? It would have to be pretty bad to not be workable I would think.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I wouldn't use it. I forgot about it and by the time I discovered I hadn't cleaned it, it had corroded pretty deeply. It's a breach waiting to happen, I should just throw the tube away.

Ive hung a rocket in a tree for almost 2 years . The liner of the 54/1280 case was stuck pretty badly . I threw it in a large bucket and filled with boiling water right off the stove . After letting it soak for 10 /15 minutes the liner popped out with just a light tap . There are some pretty sever pit marks but I have flown it twice since . Do what makes you the most confident and you wont have a problem .

Eric

A few days? What if it went a few weeks?

After burning there is not exactly much to corrode, is there? I would think that they important part would be to get it entirely clean before reloading, rather than cleaning quickly, but I am not an expert.

How about a few years?

Say.............. 12 or 13?

A cluster rocket launched at LDRS in 1999 Orangeburg was found with all motors intact,[ just a couple years ago] when the woods was being cleared for an industrial park. Nothing else but a partial fin can was recognizable.

Motors were removed and cleaned, several are still being used.
On the other hand, I've seen cases corroded beyond use, just after a year or 2, due to neglect and proper usage.

There is a reason a thin coat of grease is recommended on the liner. Besides making the liner easier to remove, it also prevents oxidation as long is there is not a liner burn through. Residue from burning contains solids that when mixed with moisture create acids that will corrode the aluminum case. Grease helps/prevents this.

A very , very thin coat......excess grease works to a disadvantage..... turning to gunk...causing the liner to bond to case, making removal after a long period of time very difficult.

Hate to admit it, but as my flying has gone from years to decades, I have become very lazy and it's common for my motors to lay around months before I clean them.
No problem though...as I always spray my cases with W-40 liberally when finished cleaning, creating a moisture barrier between the case any residue still left and moisture... the enemy.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use it. I forgot about it and by the time I discovered I hadn't cleaned it, it had corroded pretty deeply. It's a breach waiting to happen, I should just throw the tube away.

Maybe give it one good cleaning, and then use it for a 29mm av bay?

Nate

Back