Aluminum bulk plates

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthew

Optimistic Pessimist
Reaction score
I see some of the high power FG kit makers are using aluminum bulk plates in some kits now. I'm wondering if there's any advantage to these, or are they just a gimmick? I've personally not had any issue with ply or FG plates, but my flights haven't been particularly extreme.

In theory, they could handle more tension. Though I've never seen FG fail in this manner, and I assume the shock cords would go first making this moot.

The only real, slight benefit I can see, is when a forward closure lets go. They'd have a better chance of protecting electronics. Maybe. I've seen wood and FG plates destroyed in this manner.

If the forward closure goes, I have seen very few survive. Most survive when there is a mechanism to eject the av bay.

If the forward closure goes, I have seen very few survive. Most survive when there is a mechanism to eject the av bay.

yea, even with the Al plates, I'm guessing the coupler would still shatter. the few I've seen in person were impressively destroyed

The Aluminum bulk plates cost the manufacturer WAY less than the FG ones. I also have never had any issues with the FG ones.

I plan on using an aluminum plate on my next rocket because of their machinability over composites, I was actually planning on placing the charge wells inside the av bay, by using threaded pipe fittings and thread sealant I feel that it will be very safe to do it this way and I can save space for shock cords and parachutes.

In some cases they are lighter than the 2 fiberglass BP's they replace that = 1 stepped aluminum one.
They are "stepped" and 1 plate seals.
You don't have to glue 2 plates together .
Don't require sanding to fit.

My only issue with the aluminum bulk plates is attenuation of signal if/when the antenna on my TeleMega passes through it. I haven't done any testing to quantify this, but I swap out the forward bulk plate for G10. Otherwise, they are pretty nice to work with. I have had G10 plates pulled askew / into the e-bay, but this was during a motor cato and far from a nominal launch. Aluminum plates would have probably done the same thing; the av bay can still deform with forces perpendicular to the rocket's z-axis.

Doug

Latest posts

Back