Performance Hobbies Performer 150, My L3 Cert Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been following your build thread...Well documented and a great project...I See no issues--- Super build thread... I'm happy to sign off on the project, as your second TAP...

I have been following your build thread...Well documented and a great project...I See no issues--- Super build thread... I'm happy to sign off on the project, as your second TAP...

Thanks Fred. The forms will be in the mail tomorrow, I missed the mailman by seconds as I headed out the door today!

Hope you can make the launch at the end of the month.

Awesome job! The rocket looks nice ( and huge)! The last picture makes it look much smaller than it actually is.

Let's see, which word hasn't been used yet to describe your build thread/ chute thread and final results?? I'll go with STUPENDOUS!! Good Luck on the L3!!

Very nice, I've been following the thread from the beginning. Hope you post a pic of the launch!

I missed a chance to test fly it on a research L motor this weekend, had a wedding in FLA to attend. BTW, 4 days in FLA, one on a golf course with plenty of water, and I never saw a gator! What's up with that?

Pics and videos of the cert flight to follow! :)

They must have been on Vac ;)

JD

I missed a chance to test fly it on a research L motor this weekend, had a wedding in FLA to attend. BTW, 4 days in FLA, one on a golf course with plenty of water, and I never saw a gator! What's up with that?

Pics and videos of the cert flight to follow! :)

This is the three day spring launch when we host the Battle of the Rockets. I had planned on getting a few launches in today and prep the L3 for Saturday morning. Like this whole year, the weather has NOT cooperated! :sad:

It rained last night and until about noon today. The Battle of the Rockets has been rescheduled for Sunday with the teams that can't stay being allowed to launch Saturday afternoon. That means I've rescheduled my L3 cert launch to Sunday morning.

This isn't all bad. I worked 10 hour days this week so I could take the day off of work. Sitting around with a little time on my hands got me back into the rocket lab. I had bought 2 yards of ripstop nomex for D-bags and chute protectors. I decided to make one up for the drogue chute on the L3 rocket (I still haven't come up with a name for this rocket yet.)

Anyway, I cut out a 18" x 18" piece and hemmed the edges with aramid thread. I could have put a button hole in one corner, a brass grommet, or what I opted for was to sew a piece of 1/8" tubular Kevlar to the corner so I can tie it to a shock cord, quick link, or whatever.

0327151201a.jpg

So no launching tomorrow (Saturday) for none BOR entrants?

Edit (read the club web site) Looks like open launch tomorrow.

Last edited:
Everyone can launch both days. We've expended the contest over two days.

Ben

Will do. I had planned on flying it today, but with rain on Friday and soft field, cold temps and wind today, the Battle of the Rockets and my launch got postponed until tomorrow.

I got my new Loki 76/6000 motor and the M1882LW reload from Ken this afternoon.

0328151603b.jpg

The rocket is prepped and ready to go. Just have to put the motor together tomorrow and get it all on the pad.

Last edited:
Level Three Achieved!!!!

The paper work is signed and ready to mail. Now I just have to go back and conduct a chainsaw recovery to get it down the last 80 ft.

Pictures and video to follow.

Congratulations! Sorry I missed it. Still defrosting from yesterday. LOL

Whatever you do........ DON'T DING THE PAINT JOB!!!!:no::wink:

Kurt

Are you kidding :y:, the paint job didn't survive the trip to the launch site! You know a rocket never looks as good as it did when it left the spray booth. It's all down hill from there!!!!

The only saving grace on this one is it launches from at least 500 ft away. All I need is a 500 ft paint job so it looks good in the launch pics! ;)

There were a half dozen of us that accomplished a chain saw recovery today. It rained a little this morning and we are expecting strong thunderstorms tonight. There was a few hours in the middle of the day without rain and we took advantage of it. We met at the field and left to start the recovery about 11:10. By 12:10 we were walking out of the woods with the rocket. It went pretty well.

The rocket was draped in two trees and the chute was tangle in the top of a dead pine.

We cut the dead tree down and it almost pulled the rocket down with it. The lower shock cord got draped across another tree so that one had to come down too. It was smaller, only about 8" diameter so we made quick work of that. Fortunately the rockets fell on the tree and not the other way around.

Pics will be posted when the site is working again. I've rebooted the computer and wifi router/modem and tried two different browsers and the Upload File button on the window still doesn't work.

Glad you got it back. I was really bummed when yall came back with out the rocket on sunday. Did your electronics come through ok?

Kurt, The electronics were fine. In fact both altimeters were still beeping altitude. The HiAlt45 was beeping 6830 ft. while the Stratologger CF was beeping 6920 ft. and 691 mph.

Ben's camera wasn't on the rocket. Probably lost during boost. The chute protector for drogue was also missing. The Kevlar string was still attached but the nomex was gone.

Everything but the paint was fine.

Back