Where can I get a sanding tee?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcorinth

Reaction score
I have the small sander from Great Planes, and I love it. I use it probably more than any other tool I have, and I think it's my favorite thing.

gpmr6169.jpg

(Image from Great Planes website)

But I've got some bigger projects I'm starting, and I'd like to get a bigger sanding tee. I know they exist - I've seen them in John Coker and Apogee videos. But when I look them up on Amazon or try to google them, I find next to nothing. Great Planes has a longer tee, but it's not wider - in fact, I think it's actually a little narrower.

I've use the words "sanding tee," "tee bar sander" "aluminum hand sander" and lots of other combinations, but the only link I found was a site in Europe, and I'm pretty sure shipping and fees would make that expensive.

Where do you get one of these? I've looked at hardware stores, and they don't have anything like what I'm looking for.

I have three of these - cheapest at hobbylinc.com

Otherwise for larger sizes, try an auto parts store in the painting supplies isle.

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/sanding-blocks-hand-sanders-c-474.aspx

I'll second hobbylnc.com, but they are available at just about any local or on-line hobby shop that sell Balsa or Bass word or airplane kits.
but You really don't have to buy a sanding blocks. I use 1" x 1" x 11" hard Balsa wrapping a full size 9"x 11" sheet of sandpaper secured with tape on the inside edge and two push pins on the outside. This gives you 3 open sides and one inside flat usually two complete wraps.
These are the blocks I use to do symmetric airfoils on glider and helicopter wings and rotors.

b-sm_1 x 1 x 11 Sanding Blocks_07-21-05.jpg

I also did the Amazon search thing and came up empty handed. What I did that seems to be working okay -- now remember, I'm a beginner -- is that I took some pieces of aluminum angle iron and CA'ed them side-by-side. I took great care making sure the flat part on which the sandpaper would go was as flat as possible. There is a bit of a indentation there, of course, but I put a piece or two of scrap sand paper on the Tee before putting the real sandpaper on. Seems to work okay.

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Planes-Easy-Touch-Bar-Sander/dp/B001735R8E

These are the ones I prefer. The local hobby shop carries them as well as some adhesive-backed sandpaper rolls that are just the right size. If you don't have a hobby shop nearby, Amazon delivers.

Those ones are great, and I did get mine from Amazon, but I am looking for one that's wider as well as longer. How wide is the 11 inch sander? I thought it was the same width as the 5.5 (which I have and love).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll second hobbylnc.com, but they are available at just about any local or on-line hobby shop that sell Balsa or Bass word or airplane kits.
but You really don't have to buy a sanding blocks. I use 1" x 1" x 11" hard Balsa wrapping a full size 9"x 11" sheet of sandpaper secured with tape on the inside edge and two push pins on the outside. This gives you 3 open sides and one inside flat usually two complete wraps.
These are the blocks I use to do symmetric airfoils on glider and helicopter wings and rotors.

I may just make one from wood, but I was hoping for an aluminum one. The thing I like about the Great Planes sander is that you use spray adhesive to attach whatever grit you want to the sander, so it's perfectly flat. I have a few wraparound sanders, but I find they get a little loose at the corners, no matter how tight I pull them.

I might just prime and gloss paint a flat of wood and use temporary spray adhesive to get the same effect. But I love the handle on the aluminum sander - very ergonomic. My hands don't get tired after endless sanding.

Those ones are great, and I did get mine from Amazon, but I am looking for one that's wider as well as longer. How wide is the 11 inch sander? I thought it was the same width as the 5.5 (which I have and love).
It's the same width as the 5.5" ones. I have several of those as well.

As you say, the handles are quite comfortable and rocketeers always seem to be sanding things.

What about getting a flat piece of aluminum in width you want cut it to your length. Then take some wood in the shape that feels good in your hand (banister rail shape) and epoxy it on top that way it is exactly what you need.

I have made a couple out of basswood. They have served me quite well and I was able to get the exact length and width that I wanted. After finishing them with lacquer, I am able to fix sandpaper to them with spray adhesive and wet sand with them.

All three Great Planes sanders are made from the aluminum same extrusion, so they're all the same width.

Some good ideas posted here.....

I have made a couple out of basswood. They have served me quite well and I was able to get the exact length and width that I wanted. After finishing them with lacquer, I am able to fix sandpaper to them with spray adhesive and wet sand with them.

I was thinking of doing something like that. I hadn't thought of basswood - I was thinking some kind of hard, cabinet-grade wood. But I have no powertools, so the basswood option might be what I'm looking for!

I printed my own on a 3D printer at work. I found it on Thingy Universe. I made a stock version then a 150% upscale version.

Back