My name is chuck......

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
And I have a problem with buying crap I don't need.

I skipped 99.95 % of black Friday. I could kick myself for missing the Punisher, but I do not need one. Anyone else have this problem? If your build pile is bigger, post a pic here.

Chuck

All kidding aside Chuck, I did find it strange that you opted out of all the Black Sale madness. I ABSOLUTELY know how it is to amass way more stuff than I need, or that can be described as "reasonable" by any stretch of the imagination. It's so easy to get caught up in thinking that I "need" more of this or that, and to spend more than makes sense. Not only during the big weekend, but just in general.

I myself went into Black weekend saying, "I have WAY more kits and rockets than I need and will NOT be purchasing any during the Black weekend. All I'll be purchasing are reloads and a few accessories/bits. Got PLENTY of rockets to build and fly already".

wait for it.......................

.....and yes, I ended up buying a Punisher.

AND one of the Madcow mini glass kits.

jeez,
s6

I have enough reloads to last me a year and I have enough rockets that I could build one a day and still have some left.

I decided to abstain.

I get a bonus every summer at work. That would be a great time for a chuck buy everything sale.

My mantra should be... "I need to finish it". Speaking of which, I'm still working on Homework... I need to finish it.

I was a good boy. I only purchased 2 cases that I really didn't need but couldn't pass up. I have a rule not to buy a new kit until I fly the one I am building. It's hard though.

Because I am addicted, this is coming from my phone.

I mostly tried to behave, but couldn't completely. A Wildman 2.6 Patriot found it's way into my cart, along with a bunch of hobbyline reloads. I am kicking myself for not getting a Punisher, but I still have an unbuilt 4" Vindicator in green glass that is waiting for me to get around to. I think I spent the least amount ever this year, but I had huge (for me) credit card bills from MWP and Christmas shopping that need to get paid off. I need to build some more before I buy more...

Adrian

Chuck-I saw the pics of kits in the storage shed a while back. My wife's comment was "At least HE keeps things in their boxes!" Epic fail for me....

And I have a problem with buying crap I don't need.
Chuck

I blame aliens.

"It is time to Consume Mass Quantities" ~ Beldar

"You will never be free until you put on the sunglasses." ~ The unemployed drifter

sale.jpg

sunglasses.jpg

consume.jpg

I also tried to stay out of it this year.... did ok, Only picked up a Madcow 2.6" screech. Came in yesterday. I need to clean the current three projects off the workbench before I start this one. That'll only leave 3 more to build in the HPR pile, I'm getting dangerously low!

Chuck, I understand. I really was not going to buy a single kit as I am sitting on about 8-10 of them. I ended up buying a Wildman V2 sport. I did buy four h motors, a couple Aerotech cases ( one new and one to replace a lost one), and a few odds and ends.

Had this sale occurred in the spring, hence avoiding Christmas, I would have bought a bunch more propellant.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I picked up a JAYHAWK and (4) H250's along with (2) recon chutes 20" and 30" that was the extent of my BF and BS purchases. Now I have a total of (4) kits that need to be built. I didn't get a Punisher either. Right now its all about flying for me.:)

HI CHUCK!

No one else took the bait so I did.

Best way to rationalize purchases is to tell yourself the items are on your bucket list.

The older I get the more that makes sense.

My Punisher is most likely on the way. A day or two ago I received a UPS notification of a package weight 7.5 lbs coming from some place in central Illinois.

Chuck-I saw the pics of kits in the storage shed a while back. My wife's comment was "At least HE keeps things in their boxes!" Epic fail for me....

That is my wife. I prefer a massive mound of parts.

Kits aren't our real problem, I still need to build my DS Ultimate from last year, and Sharon has about 7 or 8 to build. Our real problem is propellant, I think we could fly everything we have already built twice a month for a year and not run out! That pile takes up half the rocket room....

Hi Chuck.

My name is Russ. I usually have the same spending problem. I have purchased a lot of kits over the last couple of years.

I found a new way to eliminate spending money on BF and BS. I was in the hospital and didn't have any electronics. Therefore no ability to rationalize making a purchase, or have any regrets about not getting something additional.

Instead I can regret missing all of the deals. As all of the hospital bills come in, I have started to look at them in missed newtons versus dollars.

I will say the first few days of being "off the grid electronically" we're difficult however, I see I was becoming to self reliant on my electronics and now I'm limiting myself and spending more time with family, and doing activities such as my favorite hobby- rocketry.

I had a habit of collecting kits, starting them and not finishing them. I've become much more selective of the kits I buy, and folks here have purchased (and hopefully put to good use!) all those partially done and unflown kits...with the exception of the ones (such as Goonybirds) that I'm not going to sell.

I also have been known to collect electronics; I've had a sell-down on those three times. I think I've finally got that under control.

-Kevin

I had a habit of collecting kits, starting them and not finishing them. I've become much more selective of the kits I buy, and folks here have purchased (and hopefully put to good use!) all those partially done and unflown kits...with the exception of the ones (such as Goonybirds) that I'm not going to sell.

I also have been known to collect electronics; I've had a sell-down on those three times. I think I've finally got that under control.

-Kevin

This is what I aspire to do.

-Kevin

I plan to put the one I got to very good use. Winter break starts on Friday at 3:45. :grin:

Hi, my name is Joe and I'm a Rockaholic. There, I said it.

I have enough kits, parts, electronics and motors to keep me flying for a long time - likely years. My 2015 resolution is to not buy anything and just fly what I have on hand.

Hi Chuck!

My name is Eric, and I am a recovering rocketeer. I recently sold a large pile of unbuilt kits, and when Black Friday and Black Saturday came around, I resisted the urge to load up again! I've even been able to stop myself from buying back most of the kits I sold while Estes is selling its awesome bundles! I'm just taking it one day at a time and doing the best I can! I feel so FREE!

Of course, I have put a few kits and some motor hardware on my Christmas list... And I bought all those motor reloads for rockets and hardware I don't even own yet... and I still have a garage full of unbuilt kits I couldn't part with...

I'm a failure! What's to become of me? Do I have to hit rocket bottom?

Chuck, forget kits..just build what your imagination tells you. Be inspired, be an artist, be a rocketry cannibal. Use all this tubing and ncs and ....mix it!

Okay, confession time... I don't collect kits, I don't collect electronics....but I seem to be collecting motor hardware. Specifically CTI motor hardware.

Complete 24 - 54mm with at least two closures in each size. With the latest acquisitions from the past month I now have 75/2, 75/4, 75/6, 75/6XL, 98/3, 98/4, 98/6XL - all complete motors. The 98/4 arrived today. :)

-Kevin

Okay, confession time... I don't collect kits, I don't collect electronics....but I seem to be collecting motor hardware. Specifically CTI motor hardware.

Complete 24 - 54mm with at least two closures in each size. With the latest acquisitions from the past month I now have 75/2, 75/4, 75/6, 75/6XL, 98/3, 98/4, 98/6XL - all complete motors. The 98/4 arrived today. :)

-Kevin

I share this problem.

Kits aren't our real problem, I still need to build my DS Ultimate from last year, and Sharon has about 7 or 8 to build. Our real problem is propellant, I think we could fly everything we have already built twice a month for a year and not run out! That pile takes up half the rocket room....

In the interest of safety, please bring the pile with you next visit to ROC, I will safely dispose of it for you (following all Regs of course).

I have started donating estes kits to local boy scouts and schools.

Maybe it will expand the hobby.

-Kevin
(cue the Bill Clinton voice) I feel your pain.

For me it's Dr. Rockets hardware. Currently looking at a couple of Millennium cases and closures.

*sigh*

I sure wish rocketeers would invest in strap wrenches and lose their pliers.

That period has some beautiful motor casings. Long live Dr. Rocket.

Back