British Medical Journal study supports "Male Idiot Theory" (MIT)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
I believe the male/female difference is primarily due to the factors mentioned in the final paragraphs - men aren't more idiotic that women, they are just more likely to do more risky idiotic things to show off, probably under the influence of alcohol, that can get them seriously hurt.

British Medical Journal study result supports "male idiot theory" (MIT)
11 Dec 2014

https://phys.org/news/2014-12-theory-men-idiots.html

The theory that men are idiots and often do stupid things is backed up by evidence in the Christmas issue of The BMJ. The findings are based on an analyses of sex differences in idiotic behaviour.

Sex differences in risk seeking behaviour, emergency hospital admissions, and mortality are well documented. Males are more likely to be admitted to an emergency department after accidental injuries, more likely to be admitted with a sporting injury, and more likely to be involved in a fatal road traffic collision.

However, little is known about sex differences in idiotic risk taking behaviour. So researchers in north east England decided to test "male idiot theory" (MIT) that many of the differences in risk seeking behaviour may be explained by the observation that men are idiots and idiots do stupid things.

They reviewed data on idiotic behaviours demonstrated by winners of the Darwin Award over a 20 year period (1995 to 2014), noting the sex of the winner. To qualify, nominees must improve the gene pool by eliminating themselves from the human race using astonishingly stupid methods.

Worthy candidates include a man stealing a ride home by hitching a shopping trolley to the back of a train, only to be dragged two miles to his death before the train was able to stop; and the terrorist who posted a letter bomb with insufficient postage stamps and who, on its return, unthinkingly opened his own letter.

Of the 413 Darwin Award nominations, 332 were independently verified and confirmed by the Darwin Awards Committee. Of these, 14 were shared by male and female nominees - usually overly adventurous couples in compromising positions - leaving 318 valid cases for statistical testing.

Of these 318 cases, 282 Darwin Awards were awarded to males, and just 36 awards given to females. Males thus made up 88.7% of Darwin Award winners, and this sex difference is highly statistically significant, say the authors.

This finding is entirely consistent with male idiot theory (MIT) and supports the hypothesis that men are idiots and idiots do stupid things.

However, this study has limitations, add the authors. For example, women may be more likely to nominate men for a Darwin Award or the sex difference may reflect differences in alcohol use between men and women.

Despite this, it is puzzling that males are willing to take such unnecessary risks - simply as a rite of passage, in pursuit of male social esteem, or solely in exchange for "bragging rights," say the authors.

They believe male idiot theory deserves further investigation, and, "with the festive season upon us, we intend to follow up with observational field studies and an experimental study - males and females, with and without alcohol - in a semi-naturalistic Christmas party setting," they conclude.

The study:

https://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g7094

Well if the male of the species are such idiots for doing this kind of crap; what does it say about the women who marry these idiots?

Every week we get another stupid “Study” like this showing how men are either stupid or overly aggressive and somehow society has to be “Protected” from us.

One result of this is that we now have a high percentage, and growing, of young male grade school students being doped-up on some form of behavioral modification “medication” because we can’t have boys being boys anymore and it is “studies” such as these that are used to “justify” it.

Getting pretty sick of it.

I thought it was written very "tongue-in-cheek" and enjoyed the article for the amusement factor. Anybody who takes this article seriously didn't "get it"....

In my own life experiences; Idiotic is defined by someone that is not as drunk as you, does not like the things you like, etc. etc. etc.
As with all living moving mammals we grow up and learn. Which peer group we decide to belong to determines many things in each of our behaviors.
Many times that is decided by which group will accept you into their circle of friends. Or whom isolates themselves and starts their own peer group by popularity.
Which in turns decides how fast each person grows up.
Those that come from high income, public figure familys tend to learn restricted behavour very early.
Those in the lesser income tend to lean towards rediculousness because they can afford the fun of it. Or can't afford a darn thing.

If the study they pretend to make an monitor is not of all different classes of income, which is bound to fail from start, it isn't a true study IMHO.
I could go into religion and pollatics, but that I try to stay way from because not matter what one's individual view is, even in their own circle of peers tends to leads to debates that never stop.
But I will say this, the American Public is Drowning from it's own Mega Companys that control the Leadership of this Country. There needs to be less passivisim and saying, "I'm only one person, what can I do?" And more, "I'm one, who's with me" attitude to get the balance back into the Decloration of Indepence. It says in a long about way, Those that have the means must use the means make a governed form a more unified society, and free from tirinery.

I liked this part:

"They believe male idiot theory deserves further investigation, and, "with the festive season upon us, we intend to follow up with observational field studies and an experimental study - males and females, with and without alcohol - in a semi-naturalistic Christmas party setting," they conclude."

Sounds like they are going to get drunk at a Christmas party and see if anything idiotic happens.

And speaking of Christmas parties, it may be that men are more consistently idiotic year round, but my experience has been that it is women who are most likely to get hammered at a company Christmas party and do something that costs them their job.

Over here, every new year starts with a bunch of folks who end up in the ER after getting hurt by fireworks. According to an article from last year, about 97% of them are male, although I've just found another article that puts men in a much more favorable light: only 73%. Go figure.

Reinhard

Over here, every new year starts with a bunch of folks who end up in the ER after getting hurt by fireworks. According to an article from last year, about 97% of them are male, although I've just found another article that puts men in a much more favorable light: only 73%. Go figure.

Reinhard

And how many of these firework injuries amplify the idiot factor by involving burns to the private areas? Seems like sooner or later someone always wants to launch a firework from their butt.

I just have to laugh. The ad that I am seeing at the bottom of the thread is for a local hospital, maybe I should take note.

The Darwin award winners are a long list of, mostly male, people who did exceedingly stupid things. But if you look at a list of people who do exceedingly brilliant things or great accomplishments, the list is also mostly male. MOST women who are "First" to do something, are actually the "First Woman" to do something. But this is changing, and it is a good thing.

This is due in large part by two factors.
1) Society, which has historically held women back, either directly or indirectly. But in recent years, this has diminished, which is why we see more women accomplishing "First person" to do something.
2) Risk taking. Men are more likely to take risks, as this study points out. But risk taking doesn't just get people a Darwin Award nomination. It gets people to fly a plane, walk on the moon, discover a previously unknown continent, cross the Arctic, explore the depths of the ocean, create a new country, win a war, lead a civil rights movement, and many, many more things.

Men are bigger risk takers, and that does lead some of them to take risks that most people would call stupid. But that same risk taking predisposition, when properly moderated, can lead to great accomplishments as well.

The article's authors are all male. They have therefore all admitted to being idiots. We may judge the article, and their chances of getting any party action during the festive season, accordingly. :lol:

This whole article and discussion can be summed up by one sentence:

"Y'all hold my beer, and watch this."

Back