What else do you fly or have flown?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Igotnothing

Reaction score
I also currently fly arrows and bullets.
Before rockets I flew paragliders.
Before paragliders - RC airplanes.
B4 RC - hang glider.
B4 hang - Cessna 182 N4095D, although never licensed. I was Dad's "miniMe".
B4 182 - rockets.

I have come full circle.

B4 Estes rockets - sticks, rocks, pine cones and snowballs.

Have always flown RC and other model aircraft since I was around 12, which is also about when I started model rocketry. That puts me at 46 years of flying models....:)

I tend to cycle in and out of rocketry about every 10 or 12 years, staying active for several years each time....:)

Was a pretty active Private pilot flying light planes and sailplanes in the 1970s and 1980s, but stopped when I became a father and could only afford one hobby besides raising children....;)

I have a Blade 350 QX2 quadcopter that I recently bought. Before that I was flying my 1/8th scale buggy off jumps. Before that I was flying RC electric ducted fan and pylon planes and racing warbirds.

Currently I fly rockets, quadcopters, and RC aircraft.
I hope I can get my pilot's license sometime in the future.

As a kid I flew c/l planes, r/c planes and rockets. As an adult, I race inboard hydroplanes, r/c model hydroplanes and still play around with r/c planes and rockets. I also sling some lead around every now and then.

Dennis

I have a "flying tripod" for photographing rocket launches:

-- Roger

Well, now that I've seen the "flying tripod", I'll be totally obsessed about it until I get one! :D

Back in high school I did some free flight balsa planes
In college I "flew" - or should I say "fall" as I did sky diving
Otherwise just rockets

R/C airplanes, but like some others, these hobbies fade in & out..

I tie flies, does that count? I fly fish, therefore I tie my own flies, streamers mainly....3

that was my first attempt at a brushless powered boat...it had issues. I found that I needed more practice time than was practical (and cost).
Rex

R/C sailplanes and hand launch gliders - long ago
Hang gliders - 1980s
Real sailplanes - 1990s
Cessna 172's - 2000s (have private pilot lic.)

All flies fly.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Bullets and BB's
Rockets
C-141 ( 1hr stick time as flying crew chief)
Cessna 172 (no license - couldn't fly and go to college)
RC planes
Back to tockets
arrows

Started out with kites when I was a sprout, moved on to .049 control line but I got dizzy, took up balsa free flight airplanes which I pursued for many years (literally and figuratively), and eventually found my way to rocketry.

As an aside, I competed in the Highland Games where I made heavy things fly (shotput, weights, hammers, and caber) and eventually became a world champion for my age group. Now I coach up and comers.

My profile says "I battle gravity" and it's been a lifelong pursuit.

guess one could say that race boats 'fly':)
Rex

Hey Rex, by your pic I'd say r/c scale by the size of the waves. But also you can tell, as with the real ones, the boat is "OUT" of the water while only the prop is below the surface.

Yes, I'd call that flyin!

For me it was typical anything you could throw or somehow get anything into the air.
At about 14 I got my first Elsnore, that like to fly and kept the front wheel off the ground most of the time.
At 16 got Arctic Cat El Tigre 340, that like leave the gound quite often.
At 18, my first 4x4. I made that fly alot too. But it didn't hold up the Elsnore and had to sell it while is was still in one piece.
Rockets since 10, fireworks every year. Fishing lures & flys for about 20+ years; like to get back to that again. really enjoyed making my own fishing rods.

Last edited:
Like a few on here I was a student pilot for a time, sailplanes exclusively. It was a great deal of fun, but I had one near-botched landing that raised the risk too much for me.

It will do.
Regarding "time flies" - yesterday, one of the clocks in the office went nuclear, and was making about 0.75 Hz on the minute hand for half of a meeting. Powered by a single AA battery. We made jokes about the time continuum, etc. Turned out to be a really long meeting for one manager that was getting chewed by the senior.

Lots of dabbling in light planes without it sticking. Was it the cost of light planes that drove you away and to rockets?

Oh. Wait....

While in England, I joined up with some friends and took some glider flights (you volunteer on the ground, then get a flight with an instructor). Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to pursue a license. When I got back to the U.S., a friend give me a complimentary flight lesson in a Cessna 152 (I paid the gas $35), again, I lacked the time (and funds) to pursue.

I've been known to fly kites (as well as being flown... by them), RC heli's, the occasional rubberband powered Guillow's plane, as well water rockets, and a free-flight Cox UFO.

I've been flown in jets (commercial), prop aircraft (the Cessna, a De Havilland Beaver (float plane), and commercial Dash-8's), and a Astar AS 350 helicopter.

As a kid in 1976, I was allowed to (don't know if it was real, or just a kid friendly prop, but it seemed real to me) pilot a ferry across the Mississippi River in Louisiana.

Last edited:
lol, take a 21" boat stuff a half horse motor in it and spin a 30mm prop at 28k...one quickly finds that the boat has problems staying wet side down in the turns :).
Rex

guess one could say that race boats 'fly':)
Rex

LOL -We are on the same page Rex . :wink:

40 Tunnel -
Mod Vp - and
1/8th Scale Hyrdo - Mark and Pak are a few of my favorites to fly, somewhere there is a pic of the Marc on only the turn fin and prop- Im looking-lol :cool:
flying the 40 boat.JPG

flying the mod vp.jpg

mark and pak 11111.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my 1/8 scale of the My Gypsy....

scale-04Nats-3c.jpg

...and here's my 2.5 Litre inboard hydro, S-2...

_MG_2049.jpg

Dennis

Love flying everything!

- Fixed-wing small aircraft (FAA licensed pilot)
- R/C sailplane
- R/C nitro planes of different sizes
- R/C nitro helicopters - have had a couple of them
- Rockets

Here's my 1/8 scale of the My Gypsy....

View attachment 248809

...and here's my 2.5 Litre inboard hydro, S-2...

View attachment 248811

Dennis

Don't see any of those Rolls Royce V-12's anymore, and hardly in scale.
All them poor P-52's lost their engines to post WWII engine nuts/mechanics from the navy.
And the rest is History.

Looks very KOOL.

Back