Rocketry Warehouse X-Celerator -- motor tube too short?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
I started measuring my new kit, and I have a conundrum.

The motor tube is 21". The length of the fin slots from end to end totals 20 7/8". So if the CRs go on the absolute edges of the MMT, that only leaves 3/8" overage. But I need 1/2" for the retainer, don't I? Is this MMT 1/8" too short, or am I missing something?

measure.JPG

I was looking at the parts list they have on their web site and 21" is what they list too. Maybe they assume friction fit? Have you "dry fit" everything to see if you can get away with less than 1/2" on the retainer?

Not yet. To do that, I have to sand things, and if it turns out it won't work, I'll have to return it. So I thought I would ask before I alter anything.

I suppose I can always extend the bottom fin slot (by sanding or filing), which would reduce the distance between upper and lower fins. I'd just have to fill the gap I leave at the bottom.

Not yet. To do that, I have to sand things, and if it turns out it won't work, I'll have to return it. So I thought I would ask before I alter anything.

If it were my kit, I would see about getting a longer MMT.

Is it possible to notch the front edge of the forward fin roots? That way you could move the motor tube back and still have room for the forward CR?

I have a tailcone and that needs more than an inch of MMT tube hanging out of the back of the airframe. Sounds like I'll have to figure something out as well.

You can "notch" the front fin tab a bit. [cut off the front of tab only] this would let you move the MM tube back an inch or so, with no ill effect on the design or external look of the kit.

Edit: I read to fast & missed some one else suggested this also. I did it , not wanting to wait for another tube to be shipped.

Last edited:
Edit: I read to fast & missed some one else suggested this also. I did it , not wanting to wait for another tube to be shipped.

That was me guessing/asking. Now that there's a CJ confirmation, so it is said and so it shall be done.

Well, I already bought the Slimline. I am going to check it tonight to see how deep it is. If I have to notch my fin slots an 1/8", I guess it isn't a big deal.

However, RW doesn't answer their phone and haven't responded to my e-mail sent on Wednesday.

That was me guessing/asking. Now that there's a CJ confirmation, so it is said and so it shall be done.

I think you will need to exchange your MMT like Dave and I had to on our 3 inch rockets to use the Tailcone Retainer you picked up from Aeropack.

Kenny

I think you will need to exchange your MMT like Dave and I had to on our 3 inch rockets to use the Tailcone Retainer you picked up from Aeropack.

Kenny

That's what I did to add the tailcone to my X-Celerator. Fortunately, I had a piece of 54mm tube that fit the bill and didn't have to order it and wait.
Since this rocket isn't exactly designed for high performance, the tailcone is really only a cosmetic addition.

It's practically "The word of the Lord", ain't it?!?

He is awfully impressive ain't he.............
Hey Jim,,,
How long have you been flyin rockets ????
Let's see now,,,
Moses was how old ????? lol...lol...

Teddy

I also bought an X-Celerator on the Black Friday sale and have the same situation as you. Based on the Rocksim file I have it looks like the slots have been moved. Rocksim shows the large rear fins at .25" from rear of BT and the forward fins 11.5" from rear of BT. My tubes rear slots start 1" from the end and have 1.5" between forward and rear slots. With fin chords at 10" and 9" you run out of motor tube unless you push it about .7 forward from the rear of the body tube. I'm thinking about leaving the forward fins off of mine (or getting a 24" mm tube. You can also extend the slots as you have mentioned to match what the file shows. For the price it was a great deal and I would buy it again even if I do buy more 54mm tube.

George

Last edited:
Hey Jim,,,
How long have you been flyin rockets ????
Let's see now,,,
Moses was how old ????? lol...lol...

Teddy

Umm... when I started flying, they were only up to the 6th commandment & Moses was still up on the Mount, waiting for the rest to be written......:smile:

Umm... when I started flying, they were only up to the 6th commandment & Moses was still up on the Mount, waiting for the rest to be written......:smile:

Oh man, I remember that! The anticipation was excruciating!

Hopefully RW will respond to my e-mails soon and I will either buy another tube or see if they will exchange it.

BTW, is there any difference between a 54mm BT and a 54mm MMT?

That's what I did to add the tailcone to my X-Celerator. Fortunately, I had a piece of 54mm tube that fit the bill and didn't have to order it and wait.
Since this rocket isn't exactly designed for high performance, the tailcone is really only a cosmetic addition.

With the AT single use L1000 at 12 lbs built weight, it's sim'ing just a little under Mach. I was going to try the tail cone to see if it reduced drag enough to nudge it over. I explained it to Bob at Aeropack, and he was interested.

If anyone that received an X-celerator from Black Friday's sale and would like a 22 Inch motor mount instead, please email us directly with your name and order number and we will send you a 22 Inch piece free of charge and you can keep the 21 inch piece.

email = [email protected]

Thank you
Sales Dept

Now that's even older then I thought.....
That sure explains the silver beard....lol...

Teddy

Back