Range Box Consumables - High Power oriented, Medium and Low power able...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soopirV

Reaction score
Hi gang- I did a few searches on this, and got a lot of details on low power, tools to bring to the range, boxes that work well, etc...but none on what I'm specifically curious about, so pardon the new thread!

I got my L1 about a year ago, and will be going for my L2 in the next 4-8 weeks. My L2 flight will be motor deploy of a DD-capable rocket; after cert, I hope to get as much experience with electronics as I can, both trad DD and Head End Ejection, as well as "Cable cutter" type systems. I haven't flown much since my L1 flight, but hope to kick that up.

What I'm hoping to learn is: what might I be missing in my range box?
I have (in addition to a plethora of hand tools; this thread is about stuff that you use up, and need to replace periodically):
dog barf
4-40 screws (nylon, steel) + nuts and spacers in case a sled mount fails. 4-40 nylons will be useful in the future as sheer pins- does head style matter?
9V batteries (2 fresh- right now only flying an EggFinder and an Eggtimer as a recorder, no deployment)
Couple of harbor freight picks to work with o-rings and small bits
Baby wipes (to clean hands, casings)
tube of vasoline (o-rings, although so far I only fly AT in 29mm hobby mode (CTI 38 and 54 don't seem to require lube, at least not according to my memory of my L1 launch awhile ago!)
alcohol wipes if vasoline gets out of control
couple pair of nitrile gloves (for before the vasoline gets out of control, or, for after if it's a good time)
a few zip ties (3" length- have never used, but feels wrong to not carry)
For DD, I plan to carry some extras that I won't mention here...I understand the federal reggs on things like this, but have seen some TRF posts go sideways when discussing such formalities. If there's a safe area to discuss, or if I'm over-reacting, just let me know!

Is there a standard set of consumables that goes with each "level" of rocketry? What else should I have with me?

Thanks!!

You're on the right track.
You might want to include:
Masking tape; some extra rail guides / LL; shock cord; quick links,
Masking tape; electrical tape; masking tape; screw drivers medium size and small ones; masking tape;
pens; latex / nitrile gloves;did I mention Masking tape?

Using Vaseline for o-ring lubricant is useless.
It liquefies just above body temperature.
get some Super Lube or Dow 111.
I've used Mobile 1 synthetic grease on a limited basis.

JD

I'm not much help here as it takes a 5x8 covered trailer to carry what I take I my range box.
:y:

When I read consumables, I thought it was food oriented. Lol I always bring treats to snack on.

A small tube of CA never hurts

Hopefully not a consumable, but extra quick links for the recovery system (and protectors - whether nomex or dog barf)

And yes - masking tape

Maybe I tend to over pack but................

Masking Tape / Blue Painters Tape / Electrical Tape / Metal Foil Tape
Nitrile Gloves
Extra stuff to make ejection charges - the stuff that creates the pressure & the things that set off the stuff that makes the pressure
Sandwich bags (to contain the stuff not identified above)
Extra Motor Starters (a couple of different sizes - usually a couple of different manufacturers too)
Extra wire - a couple of different colors of 22-24 guage stranded & usually a few lengths of left over motor starter wire
Switches - slide and rotary (I think I even have a key switch in there - never know when you need to work on a launch control box)
Probably a few L.E.D.s
Phono jacks
Batteries (9v / AA / AAA)
Battery Holder
Nylon & Metal Screws (2--56 / 4-40 / #6 / #8 / #10 / 1/4-20
Nuts and washers for the above sizes
Quick Links
Swivels 1,500# rating
9/16" TN (about 20 feet)
Kevlar cord
Super Lube
Butane (for my gas fired soldering iron)
Solder
Bic Lighter

I am sure that there is some more stuff in there but that is what I can think of off the top of my head

When I am flying with electronics I also carry my Electronics Box - That contains
More Extra Wire
More Spare batteries
Extra Altimeters
Multiple sleds
Instruction Manuals for all of the altimeters I have with me
Small screwdriver sets (more then one)
multimeter
Extra L.E.D.s

You get the idea

Plan it backwards.
The key word is PLAN.

Start by deciding exactly which rockets will fly, on what motors, and how will you recover them under what conditions.

-Bring only the rockets you want to fly.
-Bring the motors you need.
-Bring the electronics and recovery gear needed.
-Bring trackers, cameras, binoculars, radios, EZ-up, tables, sunscreen, bug spray, food, water, boots, jacket, etc. based on the launch site conditions and the amount of time you plan to be there.
-Bring money to pay launch/membership fees – and shop onsite vendors.
-Bring a few extra bits and pieces (just in case).

Now make a checklist on paper and go over it a few times to make sure you haven’t forgotten anything.

You will have a better time at the launch if you prep or assemble anything that can be assembled ahead of time, at home.

Don’t pack the kitchen sink, because If you forgot something – your fellow rocketeers will help you out at the launch if you ask nicely. :cool:

If you're only looking for consumables and only those that apply to HPR & DD that are above and beyond LPR, the list isn't very long.

You need the supplies for DD. Besides the obvious powder and lighters, it will depend on how you contain the charges. masking tape, dog barf, duct tape, electrical tape could be some or all of what you use at every launch.

You need the supplies for composite motors. Grease, your choice. I've used Vaseline for 10+ year now. Just be careful on hot days. I have a squeeze tube of the stuff and it's liquid on hot days. Still works just as well, better actually, just easier to make a mess with. Some fingerboards if you fly Hobbyline c-slot motors. Some scotch tape for the Hobbyline to tape the c-slot grains together before putting in the liner.

You need the supplies for recovery systems. In most cases this will be nothing more then some dog barf or tape to z-fold the shock cords with.

Now if you add repair parts, repair supplies, and tools, the list can get big enough to fill any vehicle you may own. Just don't forget the rockets, motor cases, parachutes, etc.

You will have a better time at the launch if you prep or assemble anything that can be assembled ahead of time, at home.
I always assembly my Aerotech reloads at home the night before the launch...minus the motor deployment charges which I do on the field. Working on the kitchen table is way better than on a folding table while yakking with rocketeers passing by, watching heads up flights or launches from the Away Cell, swatting flies, etc.

I also like to check all the recovery trains in the rockets I will be bringing. Parachutes don't get rolled up and installed until I'm on the field, tho.

I have moved to packing into sevral smaller boxes. I found my one big box became a mess and hard to find anything.

I now have:
recovery box with chutes and shock cords ect
charge box with pre made charge holders and my cable cutters
motor box with nozzles fwd closure oring snap rings
Reload and cases box pretty self explanatory
Genral tool box screw driver, pliers, epoxy, super glue, ballast, sand paper, gloves, hand cleaner, extra screws and other things.
Out of the box 5 gallon bucket for a trash can, BFH for hitting things, 2 rolls of paper towels, 2X6 chunk, dowel for pounding out motors.

Don’t pack the kitchen sink, because If you forgot something – your fellow rocketeers will help you out at the launch if you ask nicely. :cool:

And is the reason I tend to over pack. I am usually the guy that has the item that you forgot ;)

Plan it backwards.
The key word is PLAN.

Start by deciding exactly which rockets will fly, on what motors, and how will you recover them under what conditions.

Now make a checklist on paper and go over it a few times to make sure you haven’t forgotten anything.

This is what Wayne and I do. We plan. We keep an MSACCESS database of all items we might need, print it out and determine what we will and will not take, and then pack according to the printout. While at the event we determine anything we did need (and didn't bring) or did bring (and didn't need) and notate the printout. Once back at the computer I amend the database. We have a database for each type of launch (1 day, multi-day, low power, high power, you get the idea) and I keep a master list so I can create new databases easily.

We also prep and pre-assemble ahead of time (well, as much as is practical and safe). Launch time is precious and I want to launch as much as possible in the time I have available. Being organized and prepared allow us to maximize our hobby time.

008.jpg

However, we do have a tendency to bring the "kitchen sink" (actually, we DO bring a kitchen sink.....) and I try to keep everything efficiently organized and labeled (I might be just a little detail oriented)

and bring lots and lots of masking and electrical tape :grin:

When I read consumables, I thought it was food oriented. Lol I always bring treats to snack on.

Getting into HP, longer walks are more frequent. The rocket is ALWAYS further away than it looks. Take cold water, gatorade...and a snack doesn't hurt.
As for other consumables, I never want to stop and cook, or take time away to goto a nearby restaurant until the range is closed. So I pack these guys up with some hot/cold food and never go hungry. (I need to get a 24oz food jar or two)
16021390875_ce696bd012.jpg

I always assembly my Aerotech reloads at home the night before the launch...minus the motor deployment charges which I do on the field.

I used to do this. Then I forgot to install one and spiked my freshly painted Vulcanite into the dirt. Now the BP goes in when I build and I carefully store them.

I've found that Aerotech assembly is only a couple of minutes and I select the motor based on that day's flying conditions. I don't have enough cases to bring unused motors home and still have some to fly. I buy/select and assemble at the field because you never know what the conditions are going to be.

This is what Wayne and I do. We plan. We keep an MSACCESS database of all items we might need, print it out and determine what we will and will not take, and then pack according to the printout. While at the event we determine anything we did need (and didn't bring) or did bring (and didn't need) and notate the printout. Once back at the computer I amend the database. We have a database for each type of launch (1 day, multi-day, low power, high power, you get the idea) and I keep a master list so I can create new databases easily.

/SIZE]

Wow! I would love a demo of that database! I wrote one a long time ago to keep track of my fleet of lpr and mpr (prior to my entry into hpr), but don't gave access to Access any more. Was a lot of fun to create and use, and lead a few people to comment to me, "boy, when you hobby you hobby HARD!"
Now I have gone old school and maintain two books of data on my fleet. A little out of date, but very useful!

Back pack.

It's so much easier on the trek back to the launch site to put the tracker, camera, masking tape, ext. in when you have to carry the rocket back.

Last edited:
Back