OK TRF Travelers: Aruba, St. Martin, or St. Thomas in January? And... why? Thx.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
St. Thomas...........

St. Thomas and St. Martin will have similar travel time and expense...

St. Thomas is nicer,,, but you get to see the crazy airport at St. Martin...

I tried uploading pic's,, this site wouldn't let...........

Aruba is gorgeous but is a longer and I presume more expensive flight....
It's a 5 hour flight from Newark air in New Jersey......

If you go to Aruba email me before you go,,,
One of the best restaurants ever is on the northern tip of the island,,,
I'll have to dig up the name...

Have a wonderful and safe time no matter where you go......
And be certain to bring a mask and fins..........

Teddy

Any of the three is better than Northern U.S. at that time of the year.

Never been to St. Martin or St. Thomas. To me, Aruba is like a cross between Miami & Cozumel & a lot of people. It wouldn't be my first choice.

If it makes any difference, since St. Thomas is in the United States, you shouldn't need a passport (depending on how you get there).

Of the three, St. Thomas is the only one I have been to, and then only for a few hours, and most of that was underwater. If you dive or snorkle, it's gorgeous and there are several good dive shops there.

Are those three places your only options?

First filter is "available by nonstop from O'Hare". Second filter is my skimming Internets for info; dropped Grand Cayman, Montego Bay, Nassau, and Punta Cana based on this (admittedly cursory and quick) research. These three were what was left.

IMG_0552.jpgP1020039.jpgP1020179.jpgP1020202.jpgP1020248.jpgP1020392.jpgP1020418.jpgP1020428.jpg
First filter is "available by nonstop from O'Hare". Second filter is my skimming Internets for info; dropped Grand Cayman, Montego Bay, Nassau, and Punta Cana based on this (admittedly cursory and quick) research. These three were what was left.

Unless sitting on the beach is your main objective, check out Puerto Rico. It's an amazing Island, with tons of stuff over short distances - including some of the best beaches in the world. No customs to deal with, but they do check your bags for mangos on the way out - just mangos, no idea... The nature and history available on this one (relatively) small island is amazing, shouldn't have any trouble getting there from O'Hare either. We were there for the first time last February, can't wait to get back this coming February!

Any of the British Territories/Islands. They speak English, are better run and more prosperous IMO.

Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 1.11.17 PM.png

Carl, this will cut into the vmax fund. Without it how will we have another joint swamp recovery?

Where ever you go will be better than here that time of year. If it has a beach so you can rock the CTI Vmax branded Speedo so much the better!

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I have never been to St. Thomas or St. Martin, but I have been to Aruba. Unless you like the beach, snorkeling, or gambling, I would suggest you go elsewhere. There isn't much to see IMHO. Phil L.

Well, let me check my schedule... You'll need someone to carry your bags, and drive you around.... My fee is quite small... :wink: :wink: :facepalm:

Adrian

Back