E(gg)xtras - Accessories for Eggtimer / Eggfinder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered the second ebay link under the antenna selections. I ordered that to hopefully be able to use those antennas but if they don't work, I have a radio friend who I can probably sell 'em to.

Wow, that's scary! I just finished mine a couple of days ago and I'm spending hours finding all the small miscellaneous parts (still trying to figure out which box to put it in) and happened upon this thread. I can confirm that the second ebay link at this time goes to an antenna that has the wrong connection according to the picture - wrong item link...notice link itself shows "SMA" when we need "RP-SMA": https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Antenna-900-1800MHZ-3-5dbi-SMA-male-plug-Tilt-swivel-for-radio-16cm-/271266562893?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Antennas&hash=item3f28bf434d&afsrc=1&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Last edited:
I just clicked the link I THINK you're talking about...
It says "SMA"...
Eggtimer Cris uses "RP-SMA" on everything that I'm aware of...
That link is wrong...........
Has this OP still been a part of this thread ???

Teddy

I deleted the link. All links came from the posts that are referenced in the chart next to the link

Wow, that's scary! I just finished mine a couple of days ago and I'm spending hours finding all the small miscellaneous parts (still trying to figure out which box to put it in) and happened upon this thread. I can confirm that the second ebay link at this time goes to an antenna that has the wrong connection according to the picture - wrong item link...notice link itself shows "SMA" when we need "RP-SMA": https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Antenna-900-1800MHZ-3-5dbi-SMA-male-plug-Tilt-swivel-for-radio-16cm-/271266562893?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Antennas&hash=item3f28bf434d&afsrc=1&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Like I've said before, be VERY careful of buying antennas on eBay... most of them are not the right antenna, they're either dual-band cell phone antennas (900/1800, usually labeled "GSM") or they have the wrong connector (since handheld ham radios use SMA, not RP-SMA). RP-SMA connectors are generally used for removable antennas in FCC Part 15 unlicensed devices to fulfill a requirement that the antenna should not be "commonly available"... this is to prevent people from putting humongous antennas on unlicensed devices and interfering with other services. It's a rather specious argument for our purposes, of course, but the FCC is looking at things like CB radios too and they don't want people broadcasting outside the intended range. (Although we all know about how CB has been abused...)

The antennas that I recommend are made by Linx Technologies, for the transmitter use ANT-916-CW-QW and for the receiver use ANT-916-CW-HW. They run about $25 for the two of them from Mouser or DigiKey. I know people that have flown these to well over 20,000' and kept lock the whole flight except for the first few seconds of boost.

The units from Mouser and DigiKey work well. I'm using the HW (1/2 wave) on both the TX and RX.

I wonder what RP stands for (Reverse Pin maybe)? I think antennas will always be a mystery to me. I just don't see how something that does not have a "circuit" can generate an RF. Simple minds are simply amused. So that leaves me :rofl:

All kidding aside, thank you very much for building a product that really enhances rocketry and gives me a challenge to do it right!

Like I've said before, be VERY careful of buying antennas on eBay... most of them are not the right antenna, they're either dual-band cell phone antennas (900/1800, usually labeled "GSM") or they have the wrong connector (since handheld ham radios use SMA, not RP-SMA). RP-SMA connectors are generally used for removable antennas in FCC Part 15 unlicensed devices to fulfill a requirement that the antenna should not be "commonly available"... this is to prevent people from putting humongous antennas on unlicensed devices and interfering with other services. It's a rather specious argument for our purposes, of course, but the FCC is looking at things like CB radios too and they don't want people broadcasting outside the intended range. (Although we all know about how CB has been abused...)

The antennas that I recommend are made by Linx Technologies, for the transmitter use ANT-916-CW-QW and for the receiver use ANT-916-CW-HW. They run about $25 for the two of them from Mouser or DigiKey. I know people that have flown these to well over 20,000' and kept lock the whole flight except for the first few seconds of boost.

Yup, I started getting that after trying to shop on my own...almost every item I searched for on Ebay was from China (great prices, but 30 day shipping!). I then reviewed your instructions (before finding this thread) and found your reference to the antennas on Mouser and already have an order set up for them plus a few other small items. :) Did you consider stocking some of those items? Considering all the different sources, I wouldn't mind paying more to get everything I need from one source (would definitely save on shipping).

Thanks Cris!

BTW - I haven't soldered electronics for over 30 years and even back then it was basic repair. I went through the instructions you provided and went big...my first build was the Eggfinder (Vb4d...got it just before you updated to Vb6...arrgh). I made a few small flubs, but I'm very proud of the job I did and was elated when it started up fine. Of course I then had to assemble the RX and that went fine and both WORKED! I have to thank you for providing these kits since they've earned me a new found skill and an experience which I thoroughly enjoyed. I'll definitely be ordering more to come.
:cheers:

Last edited:
:) Did you consider stocking some of those items? Considering all the different sources, I wouldn't mind paying more to get everything I need from one source....

This. 110%. I would rather get the RIGHT thing, the FIRST time, every time, than deal with searching vendors and playing forum thread and post whak-a-mole, only to find out that some links were bad and products had changed. To me, NOT having to deal with that sort of issue is worth it. I would rather you have the extra $$ than someone in China having it and me having the wrong item due to my lack of education and understanding.

This. 110%. I would rather get the RIGHT thing, the FIRST time, every time, than deal with searching vendors and playing forum thread and post whak-a-mole, only to find out that some links were bad and products had changed. To me, NOT having to deal with that sort of issue is worth it. I would rather you have the extra $$ than someone in China having it and me having the wrong item due to my lack of education and understanding.

I agree with this statement 1 million...
I don't think anyone would mind spending a bit more for the correct parts ordered and delivered in the same package with the Eggfinder products....
If you only knew how much time I have invested in searching places like ebay for the correct items...
Sometimes coming close to ordering the wrong item hen catching my mistake last minute and not placing the order..
Even if you go to the correct place like Mouser or DigiKey sifting through all of the antennas they have that look similar but are not correct can be quite daunting...

Cris,,
This is just way too easy...
Buy the correct antennas in bulk and offer them on your site...
The amount of time and headache you'd save everyone from trying to find them on their own is immeasurable...
And while we're at it,, how about you stock the RP-SMA 6" and 12" jumper cables as well....

Teddy

OK, I'll see what I can do. Unfortunately, the volume discount on these things isn't that high, unless I buy like 1,000 of them. I think I'd be inclined to sell them as a package with the RP-SMA connector, probably separately as a 1/2 wave receiver package and a 1/4 transmitter package.

Chris, I agree. I would be willing to pay an additional 20 to 30% just to get the right stuff. thanks again for doing what you do so well.

OK, I'll see what I can do. Unfortunately, the volume discount on these things isn't that high, unless I buy like 1,000 of them. I think I'd be inclined to sell them as a package with the RP-SMA connector, probably separately as a 1/2 wave receiver package and a 1/4 transmitter package.

I know you don't have a lot of time...
But if you do the homework maybe you can trace them back to their manufacturers....

Thank you always Cris,,,

Teddy

We almost always order the retainer with the rocket.. would be nice to order accessories at same time as the kits

I have only had one misfire on ordering (remote switch remote) .. from eBay - so cheap not worth the freight back.

It is easier to pay some mark up on antennas even if you dont get a bulk price on item .. i paid $10+ freight from mouser on antennas . $6 on eBay antennas .

Kenny

Last edited:
Added a Please Read link to antenna section that refers to post 65 above from Cris.

Just keep everything (cables, mounts, 900mhz antennas) RP-SMA and everything will be fine :)

A friendly suggestion, don't solder the Bluetooth module to the LCD receiver or you won't be able to update the firmware. It hasn't changed in quite awhile now, but that doesn't mean that there won't be any changes in the future...

Back