E(gg)xtras - Accessories for Eggtimer / Eggfinder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Help needed on what hardware I need for change the frequency of the Hope RF HM-TRP-915 RF module for the Eggfinder Tx.

I received the Eggfinder LCD starter kit from the Black Friday sale. (Canadian version is shipped without the Hope Module because of our pita regulation won't allow Cris to send the module to Canada.)

I’m waiting for the hope modules to come in stock from Anarduino so I can order them.

From what I read the modules come set at the 915 MHz frequency, the problem is 2 of us in our club will each be using Eggfinder LCD kits so being on the same frequency will cause a problem.

I found the document and GUI setup file to change the frequency once its connected to the pc, but what piece of hardware do I need to program the HM-TRP-915 RF module to a USB port? I'm using windows 7 32bit.

Help needed on what hardware I need for change the frequency of the Hope RF HM-TRP-915 RF module for the Eggfinder Tx.

I received the Eggfinder LCD starter kit from the Black Friday sale. (Canadian version is shipped without the Hope Module because of our pita regulation won't allow Cris to send the module to Canada.)

I’m waiting for the hope modules to come in stock from Anarduino so I can order them.

From what I read the modules come set at the 915 MHz frequency, the problem is 2 of us in our club will each be using Eggfinder LCD kits so being on the same frequency will cause a problem.

I found the document and GUI setup file to change the frequency once its connected to the pc, but what piece of hardware do I need to program the HM-TRP-915 RF module to a USB port? I'm using windows 7 32bit.

Unless it's the TRS you cannot change the frequency of the TX.

Unless it's the TRS you cannot change the frequency of the TX.

He is asking what hardware does he need to change the frequency on the module like Cris does when you request a specific frequency. If you contact Cris I am sure he will be happy to help you out. I am guessing you could probably do it with a USB to serial breakout board with a FT232 chip.

He is asking what hardware does he need to change the frequency on the module like Cris does when you request a specific frequency. If you contact Cris I am sure he will be happy to help you out. I am guessing you could probably do it with a USB to serial breakout board with a FT232 chip.

Yes there is a procedure you can find on the Hope site along with a programming utility. I'm sure Cris uses it to program the modules for the EggFinders. I believe the utility needs a Windows 7 machine to program. Here's the link to the manufacturers page: https://www.hoperf.com/rf/data_link_module/HM-TRP.htm. Here's the link for the specifications of the module. https://www.hoperf.com/upload/rf_app/HM-TRP.pdf
The instructions for changing the frequency is in there and if you can translate them for the "common man" you might be able to pull if off.
I was hoping there might be a way to reprogram the frequency of a Hope module on an in-situ EggFinder by clipping tiny jumpers to the module and using the USB cord. Never tried it and don't know if it's possible once it's mounted on the EggFinder board. Kurt

There is no provision for programming the Hope RF module in-situ on the TX, not all of the lines that are needed are brought out. Ditto for the RX. I program them with a rig that I built out of a RX board sans the HM-TRP, with a bit of rewiring, terminating to micro-hooks. I clip the hooks to the appropriate pads on the HM-TRP, plug in the USB cable, then use the Hope RF program. It's a bit tedious which is why I wasn't going to release the LCD and TRS kits until I had a provision to change the frequency.

There is no provision for programming the Hope RF module in-situ on the TX, not all of the lines that are needed are brought out. Ditto for the RX. I program them with a rig that I built out of a RX board sans the HM-TRP, with a bit of rewiring, terminating to micro-hooks. I clip the hooks to the appropriate pads on the HM-TRP, plug in the USB cable, then use the Hope RF program. It's a bit tedious which is why I wasn't going to release the LCD and TRS kits until I had a provision to change the frequency.

Yeah, but Ken wants to know how to change the module frequency likely before he puts it on the board. Is it possible to clip the proper pads while in-situ
and change the frequency? One could solder pins in the appropriate holes on the TRP module. Could put clips to the appropriate leads and reprogram to the frequency in modules range? How does one set low? Put the pin to ground? Kurt

Last edited:
Since this a great way to get all the information in one location perhaps a table of GPS software would be helpful also.

Yeah, but Ken wants to know how to change the module frequency likely before he puts it on the board. Is it possible to clip the proper pads while in-situ
and change the frequency? One could solder pins in the appropriate holes on the TRP module. Could put clips to the appropriate leads and reprogram to the frequency in modules range? How does one set low? Put the pin to ground? Kurt

You have to do it before you solder the HM-TRP to the board. Some of the pads on the Eggfinder TX/RX boards are tied to GND or +3.3V and need to be otherwise in order to program the module. You also need to feed it 3.3V, not 5V, so you can't just use the red wire from the USB-serial cable. You CAN connect the RX/TX lines from the cable, the inputs are 5V-tolerant. See the HM-TRP datasheet for details.

If you use the Hope RF program, change ONLY the frequency... changing any of the other parameters may prevent it from working. Don't change the baud rate... you might brick the module. Got a few like that in my junk pile...

You have to do it before you solder the HM-TRP to the board. Some of the pads on the Eggfinder TX/RX boards are tied to GND or +3.3V and need to be otherwise in order to program the module. You also need to feed it 3.3V, not 5V, so you can't just use the red wire from the USB-serial cable. You CAN connect the RX/TX lines from the cable, the inputs are 5V-tolerant. See the HM-TRP datasheet for details.

If you use the Hope RF program, change ONLY the frequency... changing any of the other parameters may prevent it from working. Don't change the baud rate... you might brick the module. Got a few like that in my junk pile...

Ok, so a USB to Serial breakout board like: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12731 would be a likely candidate for him and others?
So the config pin on the Hope module would have to go to ground on the breakout board so that's "low"? VCC could get the +3.3V off the breakout board. Ground on the Hope module will go to ground of course. The DTX pad on the Hope module would go to the receive (R) pad on the breakout board and the DRX pad on the Hope module would go to the transmit (O) pad?

From the manual:----- Config and Inquiry methods:
The module will be ready for Config status if ENABLE pin is low,CONFIG pin is low. It will be in Config
if the red and green LED keep lighting. Then you can Config & inquiry on the module.
The Config instruction format is as AA FA+[instruction]+[parameter].The instruction is 1 byte,the
parameter is the HEX data of 0-4 byte which the high byte before the low byte.
The instruction’s transfer speed should keeps the same as the transfer speed of UART.

To put those pads in "low" are they simply attached to ground? That would be the (-) side of the breakout board I believe.

"High" and "Low" are foreign to a non-EE type individual. I believe it's 0/+3.3V respectively

I believe the technique would be to connect the Hope module to the breakout board (3.3V side of course). Plug in the USB to the computer and find the port.
I don't know what the speed should be for instruction transfer. I suspect it would be 9600bps.
If the red and green LED "keep lighting" (I don't know if that means continuous "on" or flashing) then the device is ready for one to start the configuration program.
Just change the frequency and one is done and can go on to the next module in their receive transmit pair.
Am trying to get this straight.

Sounds stupid the Canadian folks can't get the module from you preprogrammed so the technique should be made clear if they wish to program their "aftermarket" module to something other than 915Mhz. Kurt

Last edited:
I didn't want this to become a topic where its putting Cris on the spot to have to answer all the details. I'm no expert on this stuff but thought there was a simple way to change the frequency so thought I'd ask... and now realize its not like that.

Cris can't include the Hope module in the kit because of Our FCC regulations. Companies design things not easy to access or change for a reason and in this case I respect Cris for not just handing over what to use and exactly how to do it. When I started the search for wanting to change the Hope module frequency, the GUI software and documentation was easy to find. I would have thought a programing board from HopeRF would be available but it wasn't, that's why I asked the initial question on what to use. My conclusion is I'm going to build it with the Hope module default frequency and if another club member is using their Eggfinder on the same frequency I'll use my Comm spec Tracker.

I didn't want this to become a topic where its putting Cris on the spot to have to answer all the details. I'm no expert on this stuff but thought there was a simple way to change the frequency so thought I'd ask... and now realize its not like that.

Cris can't include the Hope module in the kit because of Our FCC regulations. Companies design things not easy to access or change for a reason and in this case I respect Cris for not just handing over what to use and exactly how to do it. When I started the search for wanting to change the Hope module frequency, the GUI software and documentation was easy to find. I would have thought a programing board from HopeRF would be available but it wasn't, that's why I asked the initial question on what to use. My conclusion is I'm going to build it with the Hope module default frequency and if another club member is using their Eggfinder on the same frequency I'll use my Comm spec Tracker.

What the heck, that gets my goat. The modules are like $8.50. Am going to get me one can see if I can pull off the programming with a USB to serial board. Might see if pins could be added to an in-situ module and attempt reprogramming by leaving the power off on the EF and using the USB to serial board to change the frequency. Would be an option if it would be able to reprogram a set to a different frequency if one so desired. Stay tuned. Kurt

Here are the rubber duck antennas I ordered from Digi-Key. I haven't received them (or my Eggfinder) yet, so I can't vouch for how well they work.

553-1474-ND ANTENNA 900MHZ HG R-SMA BLK 6.6" $7.32
553-1700-ND ANTENNA PENTA STRAIGHT RP-SMA $5.13

Here are the rubber duck antennas I ordered from Digi-Key. I haven't received them (or my Eggfinder) yet, so I can't vouch for how well they work.

553-1474-ND ANTENNA 900MHZ HG R-SMA BLK 6.6" $7.32
553-1700-ND ANTENNA PENTA STRAIGHT RP-SMA $5.13

The Pulse W1063 antenna is fine (although it's probably a bit large to put in some rockets), but the W1911 is a "multi-band" antenna made for GPRS/GSM use and has a very weak gain (-1.8 dBi). If you need a short antenna, a Linx Technologies ANT-916-CW-QW would be a better choice. It has a peak gain of +1.8 dBi in the 902-928 MHz band.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1435629489.953461.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1435629524.331439.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1435629558.477042.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the antennas Cris recommends. The shorter one is for the AV bay. I also added a Bluetooth module to pair up with a cheap android tablet.

I ordered the second ebay link for the antenna.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/271266562893

Am I doing something wrong? Because it doesn't screw onto the RP-SMA connector on my LCD receiver.

I would hate to have to order another thing but I guess if I have the wrong thing....

I think thats the wrong anntenna. The one I have does not have the pin shown in the ebay pic but then I bought mine from Mauser.

IMG_2121.JPG

Last edited:
Matt,,
The "RP" in "RP-SMA" stands for reverse polarity...
The pin and socket for the pin are on opposite sides...
For instance,,
You may be trying to mate an RP-SMA male with a SMA female...
That won't work..
You'll either have a male pin on both sides or a female socket for the pin on both sides..

Teddy

#$%^&*(

2 weeks of waiting for it to get here and it's the wrong one.... :p

Someone should take that link down because that's where I got it from.

Is there an adapter I can order instead of having to get a new antenna? Or should I just get a new antenna....

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes,,
The one Matt posted on Amazon..
That's an adapter.. from RP-SMA to SMA..
But it still has to be the correct sex orientation..
Matt,, take a very close look at the pics of the one you ordered with your Eggfinder and antenna in your hand..

It is still possible for this to be wrong..

Teddy

Matt,,
If it's not much more I'd sooner see you order the correct antenna
then put a bandaid on the wrong one..

Teddy

Matt,,
It's very easy to get these fittings incorrect...
You have to be careful when ordering them...
Which link was wrong ??
In which post ??
Tell the poster that the link is wrong so it can be changed or removed....
Before someone else goes through what you're going through....

Teddy

I ordered the second ebay link under the antenna selections. I ordered that to hopefully be able to use those antennas but if they don't work, I have a radio friend who I can probably sell 'em to.

Back