SpaceX Falcon 9 historic landing thread (1st landing attempt & most recent missions)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Payload delivered to LEO, still some burns to go.

Wow SpaceX makes it look easy these days, likely a false sense of confidence as you know it's just a matter of time...but lets hope they keep it going.

Nice clean flight. I thought I had missed it, but with the weather delay, I was able to catch it.

I would suggest that the detailed rebuttal in the comments below that article are even more of a must read....
Absolutely. However it is important to remember that Space-X has already succeeded in getting launch costs way down. Their success does not rely on successful reuse of the booster or any part of the rocket. If their recovery goals are met, great. It's gravy money, if not, their costs will go up with inflation, and that will still be a huge amount less than ULA, Boeing, Orbital or ESA.

IMO there have been 3 great American rocket architects: Goddard, von Braun and Musk. Each has left, or will leave, a lasting influence on space travel.

Robert Goddard was the first great American rocket architect. He developed the first liquid fueled rocket and eventually developed the LOX/Hydrocarbon propellant system that all great launch vehicles use(d). This is the basis of the most successful heavy lift-rockets.

Werner von Braun was the second great American rocket architect. He read the works of Goddard and developed the first practical large mass produced liquid fueled rocket, the V-2. After WW-2 he worked for the US to develop the Redstone rocket for the Army and the Saturn rockets for NASA putting the first Americans into space and the first humans on the moon. He use LOX/hydrocarbon engines for his boosters as well.

Contemporary with von Braun, the Russian developed the greatest LEO launch vehicle ever made, the Soyuz launcher which uses a LOX/hydrocarbon propellant. In the past 50 years it has successfully launched over 1700 times from the 1960's with a 5% failure rate and a remarkably low 2% failure rate between 1992 to 2010. It is a bus/tractor trailer to orbit using diesel fuel. No other LEO launch vehicle can make this claim. Compare this to: Delta -347 launches with a 96% success rate; Ariane -193 launches with a 95% success rate; Proton -351 launches with a 89% success rate; and Atlas -347 launches with a 88% success rate in the same time period.

IMO Elon Musk is the third great American rocket designer. He has profited by studying the works of von Braun and the Russians. He keep it simple, and uses the cheap and reliable LOX/hydrocarbon propellant. He does nothing exotic. He doesn't reinvent the wheel. He builds in redundancy. He make a lot of hardware, makes it cheap, and makes it reliable. Even when an engine on a Falcon 9 detonated, the other 8 engines kept on working and completed the mission to LEO successfully. The progress in time of his rocket programs rivals the von Braun era of NASA in the '60s which is an amazing accomplishment considering that Musk doesn't have up to the 5% of GDP that NASA had back then. It's even more amazing that he has spent a small fraction of one of NASA's annual budgets to accomplish his feats.

Bob

It is confirmed that the next landing attempt is CRS-7. Then it may be a while IIRC as the next few cheduled launches after that are supposed to be from Vandenberg and/or the Falcon Heavy launch.

It is confirmed that the next landing attempt is CRS-7. Then it may be a while IIRC as the next few cheduled launches after that are supposed to be from Vandenberg and/or the Falcon Heavy launch.

Exciting! They almost had it last time. Let's hope this one nails it.

https://www.spacexstats.com/upcoming.php

According to the the July 15th launch should also be able to attempt a landing and the Vandenberg launch July 22 will attempt a land landing.

They really are getting a busy schedule, aren't they?

I don't see a note about a landing attempt on July 15 at that link --- maybe I didn't dig deep enough. One thing I do see is a note about July 15 being the first launch of Falcon 9 version 1.2. I had not heard about v1.2.

The Vandenberg landing attempt on terra firma is cool. I think they have a much better chance of success on land than on a barge.

And Falcon Heavy is later this year too! This is a big year! Things are really moving fast.

With all this and the tests of the Dragon crew capsule and work on the CST-100 by Boeing, I haven't been this excited about spaceflight in a long time.

EDIT: Here's an article about v1.2. --- upgraded Merlin Engines and some structural redesign too to keep the number of core designs down when they start manufacturing Falcon Heavy: https://aviationweek.com/blog/spacexs-new-spin-falcon-9

Last edited:
https://www.spacexstats.com/upcoming.php

According to the the July 15th launch should also be able to attempt a landing and the Vandenberg launch July 22 will attempt a land landing.

Unforunately, that information is not official. I double-checked on NASAspaceflght, asking about that, and was told its a fan-operated site. Apparently as regards an RTLS landing at Vandenberg, either hopeful speculation on their part or bad info.

Now, it still might be possible, but as of now there is no landing approval granted by Vandenberg, and none granted by CCAFS for Cape Canaveral.

There is speculation about whether the West-Coast based ASDS Landing Barge might be operational in time for the Jason 3 flight. It's under construction, or under conversion, or whatever, with no indications of when it may be ready. So, if the barge is not ready, and if Vandenberg does not give landing approval for RTLS, Jason-3's booster is going to sleep with the fishes.

Also BTW - No info on whether there are landing pads completed for a landing. Might be a Chicken-or-the-egg kind of thing, no need for the landing pads without landing permission. But if SpaceX expects to get approval eventually, and have faith in the reuseable program (no reasons not to, the two crashes were not a fundamental flaw, more like bugs to learn what to fix), they might as well get ready so they do not miss an opportunity simply for lack of landing pads being ready (I say pads. Previous posts give info on a big center main pad and four outer "contingency" pads planned for LC-13 and likely the same arrangement at Vandenberg).

I agree that it should be easier to land on land, assuming they have the landing guidance programmed to land safe with an acceptable error margin (say 20-30 meters from dead center) rather than risk crazy maneuvering trying to "hit the spot" like the previous two crashes.

So, anyway, the next planned flight to try to land the booster, on the ASDS landing barge "Mister Bill" (my name for it now), is CRS-7 currently set for June 26th. That barge landing is pending any possible landing approval soon, if the payload mass allowed enough fuel for an RTLS flyback landing, and if they actually completed the landing pads in time.

The Falcon Heavy flight, will be great to see. Though news has been sort of light on any updates for a realistic launch date. Was supposed to be summer 2015. They have done a lot of work near and at Pad 39A for new facilities to support Falcon Heavy, but a lot still lot go. An article says the flight probably will not happen until early 2016.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Also BTW - No info on whether there are landing pads completed for a landing. Might be a Chicken-or-the-egg kind of thing, no need for the landing pads without landing permission. But if SpaceX expects to get approval eventually, and have faith in the reuseable program (no reasons not to, the two crashes were not a fundamental flaw, more like bugs to learn what to fix), they might as well get ready so they do not miss an opportunity simply for lack of landing pads being ready (I say pads. Previous posts give info on a big center main pad and four outer "contingency" pads planned for LC-13 and likely the same arrangement at Vandenberg).

There isn't room for a bunch of pads at Vandenberg. You have to hit SLC 4W or you're toast. That also brings up an interesting predicament for getting the big birds on base if a Falcon hits the road just to the west...

They won't be putting a bunch of pads 1/4 mile from each other or whatever. For LC-13, one main pad 60 x 60 meters, and four 45 meter contingency landing pads a few hundred feet away from the main pad.

There is room to put 4 contingency pads at SLC 4W in with the same kind of spacing as at LC-13, though at least one would be close to a parking lot and building associated with F9H (of course the lot and building would be evacuated for a launch and landing. Still, hitting the building would not be good). So, they might have to be more creative to fit in 4 contingency pads safely, in a way that is still most useful.

FWIW - an article on plans for LC-13's mods for landings:

https://spacenews.com/spacex-leases-cape-canaveral-launch-pad-for-falcon-landings/

SpaceX_Launch-Complex-13_landing-pad-879x485.png

Last edited:
While there may be enough "space" for additional landing pads at Vandenberg, it would involve a massive earthmoving project because of the terrain and probably would not be worth it. I don't think it would be landing near any F9 Heavy-specific buildings, as all that would be up at the hangar anyway. It will be interesting to see how they deal with these geographical constraints.

While there may be enough "space" for additional landing pads at Vandenberg, it would involve a massive earthmoving project because of the terrain and probably would not be worth it. I don't think it would be landing near any F9 Heavy-specific buildings, as all that would be up at the hangar anyway. It will be interesting to see how they deal with these geographical constraints.

When you say "massive earth moving project" what kind of terrain are we talking about? In this part of the country (and especially in southern Ohio) leveling 30ft hills is fairly routine (even for the construction of a chain drug store) and I've seen several where small mountains have been removed. How big are these hills?

The terrain is certainly not flat like at the Cape, though not extreme either.

Even for the main 60 x 60 meter main landing pad, they have done a lot of earthmoving. Hard to tell from this space enthusiast "spy" photo, but it looks like the main landing pad is NOT where SLC-4W was actually located before it was torn down, the main landing pad seems to be more to the west of that:

7goBV9C.jpg

So, contingency pads can fit within the site, they can add four round ones 45 meters across. Perhaps even two of them across the other side of the road (Agena Way), hard to tell though how close it is to that road due to the telephoto foreshortening effect.

In this Google Map image, taken before the recent changes, SLC 4W is lower center. SLC 4E where Falcon Heavy will launch from, is to the lower right.

YMR6GP8.jpg

Although, there is no indication so far of any contingency pad areas being prepared For that matter though, no indication of contingency pad areas prepared at LC-13 at the cape either, which they definitely are going to do (harder for "spy" pics at the Cape, no mountains to go to for telephoto pics like the ones shown here). If they want to have a shot at a landing of the Jason-3 mission in July, if they got landing permission, they could simply try it without contingency pads, using just the main pad. But they seem to be in no hurry to get that main pad done (the pic shown is only about a week old). Though the landing pad is mostly a big slab of concrete, so in theory they could pour on one day and land on it a few days later (I was going to say land the next day..... but due to the exhaust they'd want a longer time for it to cure, and of course time to paint that Spacex "X" on it...).

FWIW - a couple of more spy pics, of SLC-4E as it's being modified for Falcon Heavy. Also shows the terrain and that a lot of earthmoving was done for that pad area when it was created decades ago.

W8MifnX.jpg

rTbAEHk.jpg

Last edited:
I think I asked about this in the past, and from what I recall, there aren't a lot of great public viewing spots to watch a launch from Vandenberg the way there are at the Cape. I would really love to see a launch, especially one with a boost-back maneuver and landing attempt, and Vandenberg is a reasonable drive for me. Even if you can't get a direct line of sight to the pad, it would still be awesome to see a Falcon Heavy take off from a few miles away. If anyone has any info on good spots, I'd love to know. Are these flights generally going to be toward the south?

ThirstyBarbarian, semi related question as I have relatives out there and may partake in watching a launch. Is there even any public viewing on base any more? I know they shut down pad tours there back in the early 2010's, but it seems like they closed the base to the public outright from what I read.

ThirstyBarbarian, semi related question as I have relatives out there and may partake in watching a launch. Is there even any public viewing on base any more? I know they shut down pad tours there back in the early 2010's, but it seems like they closed the base to the public outright from what I read.

I'm not aware of any viewing public viewing areas on the base. If there were, that would be great. If not, I'm wondering if there are any good vantage points off the base.

Google is your friend:

https://www.vandenberg.af.mil/questions/topic.asp?id=745

Can I come on base to watch a launch?

Vandenberg Air Force Base is designated as a closed installation. Access to the base for launch viewing is limited to those with base access. Members of the media may contact the Public Affairs office at (805) 606-3595 for accreditation and launch coverage.
When is the next scheduled launch?

Information on upcoming Vandenberg launches is available by calling the Straight Talk Line at 805-606-VAND (8263). Launch day and time is released three to five days in advance and is available on the hotline during that timeframe. Beyond that, only the month and year of the next planned launch will be posted.
Where’s the best place to view a launch?

The public viewing site for Vandenberg launches is off of Corral Road near Vandenberg's main gate. To access the area, take Highway 1 to the Santa Maria Gate and proceed on Lompoc Casmalia Road. At the barriers, turn right onto Corral Road and bear left to the top. The launch countdown net and port-o-lets are set up near the bleachers.

If you could get appointed as a "reporter" for TRF, you could try to get accreditation as "media" to view a launch on base.

Google is your friend:

https://www.vandenberg.af.mil/questions/topic.asp?id=745

If you could get appointed as a "reporter" for TRF, you could try to get accreditation as "media" to view a launch on base.

It's starting to come back to me now...

I think I've seen this info before. Does anyone know if this spot on the base is a GOOD viewing location? It looks like it is about 10 miles northwest of the pads, and the launches most likely go south. Is that close enough for a good view? Unfortunately, the terrain is very hilly, so the outskirts and farmland around the town of Lompoc are actually much closer and lie between the viewing spot and the pads. But the town and farmland are in a valley and the rocket would have to clear the hills to see it from there. The on-base public viewing location is further away, but it looks like it is also a higher location on the hills north of town. So is it better to be on a hill 10 miles away, or in a valley 5 miles away? Or would it be better to be off the base to the south somewhere?

Does anyone actually live near the base and have any experience watching the launches?

It's starting to come back to me now...

I think I've seen this info before. Does anyone know if this spot on the base is a GOOD viewing location? It looks like it is about 10 miles northwest of the pads, and the launches most likely go south. Is that close enough for a good view? Unfortunately, the terrain is very hilly, so the outskirts and farmland around the town of Lompoc are actually much closer and lie between the viewing spot and the pads. But the town and farmland are in a valley and the rocket would have to clear the hills to see it from there. The on-base public viewing location is further away, but it looks like it is also a higher location on the hills north of town. So is it better to be on a hill 10 miles away, or in a valley 5 miles away? Or would it be better to be off the base to the south somewhere?

Does anyone actually live near the base and have any experience watching the launches?

You might want to go to this thread on the NASAspaceflight forum and ask:

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=35480.msg1384479#msg1384479

Also, BTW, I was not entirely kidding about getting press media accreditation to see it on the base. Well, the TRF angle would be a longshot. But, for the SpaceX Dragon Abort test a few weeks ago, there were rocketeers who got media credentials on behalf of LAUNCH Magazine (which is coming back as an online entity). Ask "Gus" how, he was there as a LAUNCH reporter. No guarantees, but may be worth a shot.

https://launchmagonline.com/

Come to think of it, there will be a high altitude Dragon abort test later this year, boosted by a Falcon-9 launched from Vandenberg. If they got landing permission in time, that booster might RTLS (though the possibility of an RTLS of that flight even if landings were OK, is more of an external speculation than anything official from SpaceX).

Last edited:
You might want to go to this thread on the NASAspaceflight forum and ask:

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=35480.msg1384479#msg1384479

Also, BTW, I was not entirely kidding about getting press media accreditation to see it on the base. Well, the TRF angle would be a longshot. But, for the SpaceX Dragon Abort test a few weeks ago, there were rocketeers who got media credentials on behalf of LAUNCH Magazine (which is coming back as an online entity). Ask "Gus" how, he was there as a LAUNCH reporter. No guarantees, but may be worth a shot.

https://launchmagonline.com/

Come to think of it, there will be a high altitude Dragon abort test later this year, boosted by a Falcon-9 launched from Vandenberg. If they got landing permission in time, that booster might RTLS (though the possibility of an RTLS of that flight even if landings were OK, is more of an external speculation than anything official from SpaceX).

Hmmmm... I actually used to work part time as a newspaper reporter a very long time ago. Maybe I could offer to cover a launch for some news outlet sometime...

I checked the link for LAUNCH above, and there does not seem to be much going on there at this point.

I got a PM from a member with some ideas for a few viewing locations, and what I feared is true. If you get s spot that is close, it will be at a low vantage point, and you won't see the rocket until it is in the air. If you want to see the rocket leave the pad, you need to be at a higher elevation, and the only spots for that are further away. Apparently, the official public site has a pretty good view for some of the launch complexes, even though it seems a bit far away to me.

UPDATE: I just got this email reply from the public relations folks at VAB. I did not ask specifically about launches from SLC-4 East or West, so this info might not apply directly to what I want to see. The Corral Rd site is the official public viewing area, and he says it's not idea for flights from the southern end of the base:

Thank you for your interest in viewing launches from Vandenberg AFB, Our nation's only west-coast spaceport that provides unique capabilities for assured access to and from space.
Currently, most of our space missions fly from south Vandenberg, and the Corral Road site is not ideal to view these launches. South base launches can be viewed from several locations in the Lompoc, Vandenberg Village area. Hwy 246 (Ocean Ave) west of Lompoc will afford and excellent view, as will Floradale Ave between Central and Ocean View. Floradale is about 4.5 miles from the launch site. There are also locations along CA-1 south of Vandenberg AFB that afford a great view, please exert care to stay out of traffic lanes. There are several open areas in Vandenberg Village west of CA-1 that offer excellent vantage points. All of these sites are less than seven miles from most south base complexes. Finally, Harris Grade Rd north of Mission Hills has a couple of pull-outs that offer a great elevated view. This area is about 10 miles from south base sites.

All of the above areas are open to the public. I hope this helps, please let me know if you have further questions.

V/R

LARRY HILL
Chief, Community Relations
30th Space Wing
Vandenberg AFB CA
805-606-6139

Last edited:
Hmmmm... I actually used to work part time as a newspaper reporter a very long time ago. Maybe I could offer to cover a launch for some news outlet sometime...

I checked the link for LAUNCH above, and there does not seem to be much going on there at this point.

Not yet. And I have no inside info about what is happening. Other than the fact that somehow, "Gus" and a few others were at the Pad Abort test a few weeks agoand apparently did it with media credentials for LAUNCH. So that is why I suggested you contact him (PM his TRF handle "Gus").

At any rate, it seems like you could get some worthwhile viewing. If I had the choice of seeing the pad form far off, or seeing the rocekt closer but not on the pad, I'd go for closer.

I got to see one shuttle launch. It was from the Causeway, about 5 miles away (STS-47, 1992, Endeavour, longtime NAR member Jay Apt onboard). The shuttle was not visible on the pad itself, other things in the way like trees and the RSS. So I missed the first seconds of ignition and liftoff, didn't matter. And it flew AWAY from us, we were to the south and it flew NorthEast, or NNE. Still, very impressive. And the massive sun-bright flames from the SRB's, video or movie views could never convey that sight. So, OK, a Falcon launch would not look as good from the same distance since it is smaller, but still pretty good.

Maybe save an attempt for credentials for when SpaceX is doing RTLS landings there, then try to go for one of those. Since seeing a landing, yeah, you'd want to be able to see "the landing pad", be closer, and to see how the landing ends up. Otherwise if the pad was not visible you'd only know if it succeeded by lack of a small explosion/fireball, or maybe from cheering by people also listening/watching by radio and/or internet feeds.

- George Gassaway

EndeavourSquared_92.jpg

Last edited:

I got a PM from a member with some ideas for a few viewing locations, and what I feared is true. If you get s spot that is close, it will be at a low vantage point, and you won't see the rocket until it is in the air. If you want to see the rocket leave the pad, you need to be at a higher elevation, and the only spots for that are further away. Apparently, the official public site has a pretty good view for some of the launch complexes, even though it seems a bit far away to me.

UPDATE: I just got this email reply from the public relations folks at VAB. I did not ask specifically about launches from SLC-4 East or West, so this info might not apply directly to what I want to see. The Corral Rd site is the official public viewing area, and he says it's not idea for flights from the southern end of the base:

Thank you for your interest in viewing launches from Vandenberg AFB, Our nation's only west-coast spaceport that provides unique capabilities for assured access to and from space.
Currently, most of our space missions fly from south Vandenberg, and the Corral Road site is not ideal to view these launches. South base launches can be viewed from several locations in the Lompoc, Vandenberg Village area. Hwy 246 (Ocean Ave) west of Lompoc will afford and excellent view, as will Floradale Ave between Central and Ocean View. Floradale is about 4.5 miles from the launch site. There are also locations along CA-1 south of Vandenberg AFB that afford a great view, please exert care to stay out of traffic lanes. There are several open areas in Vandenberg Village west of CA-1 that offer excellent vantage points. All of these sites are less than seven miles from most south base complexes. Finally, Harris Grade Rd north of Mission Hills has a couple of pull-outs that offer a great elevated view. This area is about 10 miles from south base sites.

All of the above areas are open to the public. I hope this helps, please let me know if you have further questions.

V/R

LARRY HILL
Chief, Community Relations
30th Space Wing
Vandenberg AFB CA
805-606-6139

Vandenberg Village, Floradale, and Ocean all have line-of-sight to SLC-3 (Atlas) since it's kind of on top of a hill. I could see the upper ~75% of SLC-3 from my house in the Village. SLC-4E (and W) are do not have line-of-sight to anywhere except the water and the hills on VAFB (or SLO/Pismo), since it's conveniently located halfway up a hill. There's an Amtrak station at the end of Ocean. I don't know what they do with that during South base launches, but it seems like that might be a decent vantage point, too.

If it was me, I'd ask the fine folks at Model Rocketry or TRA's equivalent. They're a bona fide print publication in the industry, and I'm sure they're always interested in content.

Next flight still set for June 26th, at 11:09 AM EDT. Launching CRS-7 to resupply ISS

This will have another attempt to land the first stage on the ASDS barge.

But, sadly, the ASDS barge that went out three times, got crashed into twice and battered by 30 foot seas on another mission, well, I guarantee that the CRS-7 Falcon is not going to successfully land on it.

Nor the next attempt. Nor the next.

Nope, ain't gonna happen. Can't.

No, I have not lost faith in SpaceX being able to do it. But the original barge, Marmac 300, called "Just Read The Instructions" by SpaceX (and "Mister Bill" by me since the last crash) has been retuned to its owners (it was leased) and had its unique SpaceX parts removed, to be mounted on replacements. It has been said that even before SpaceX leased Marmac 300 it had had a "hard life". So for longer term, SpaceX wanted to replace it with a newer barge in better shape, as well as to make some design upgrades over the original (now considered to have been an ASDS prototype). But Marmac 300 is not being retired from use at all, it will now be used to transport Wind Turbines.

SpaceX now has TWO ASDS barges. Marmac 304 has had "wings" added to it like Marmac 300 had, to increase its width to 170 feet. A few other mods, some of the most notable being for the wings being stronger now to withstand rough seas better (angled steel plates added underneath), and some walls near each end to as like blast deflectors in the case of more crash landings (minimizing damage to equipment at the ends).

Here is 303 or 304 (supposed to be identical), perhaps when being built. Aft end is to the right, note the "fins"

index.php

Marmac 304 was towed to Jacksonville nearly a week ago. It is not know yet whether SpaceX is going to call this one the same as the original, "Just Read The instructions", or give it a different name (The legal maritime names appear to remain as Marmac [number], SpaceX's name is just what they are calling them).

The other new ASDS, Marmac 303, is at the Panama Canal, waiting to go thru to get to the Pacific to be used for Vandenberg flights. The "wings" that were welded to Marmac 300, were removed from 300, reinforced, but not attached yet because it could not fit thru the canal locks with the wings welded on. So, the wings are stored unattached on deck, to be attached later. Name of this one, Musk announced long ago that it would be called "Of Course I Still Love You (some shorten that to OCISLY).

Back in Jacksonville, the dock that SpaceX uses is next to the same dock used by Carnival Cruise lines, and every few days the cruise ship returns to port and its live webcam has a good view of the SpaceX dock. So, attached is a pic of Marmac 304, awaiting more mods. And to have the SpaceX name for it, whatever it is, painted on deck as well as the other markings.

- George Gassaway

index.php

Last edited:
Launch for CRS-7 now set for Sunday, June 28, at 10:21 AM, EDT.

Menwhile, a new video I just ran across.A long range tracking camera view of the CRS-6 landing attempt in April. Showing the descent for about the last minute, falling thru the air, the controllable grid fins on the front steering the booster. Then finally the center engine ignites to begin the rocket powered deceleration. Primary cause of the crash was that a key valve was a bit "sticky", casing the engine to ignite a bit later that it should have, and the engine at full throttle could not slow enough due to the slightly late start. Anyway, the video showing much more of the descent is very interesting.

[video=youtube;NcTOTeoaafU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcTOTeoaafU[/video]

Also, some other news about the previously released video of the landing, was shot about two miles away, shown below. It was revealed recently that this footage was shot by a "Multicopter" (possibly a Hexa-Copter, 6 engines/props).

Most interestingly, and I had theorized they might do this…. it WAS carried onboard the ASDS barge (Just Read The Instructions), took off a few minutes before landing, flew 2 miles away (farther than I expected), hovered there for minutes while pointed back at the ASDS barge, shooting video the whole time, then some time after landing was scheduled to happen, it flew back to the ASDS barge and landed on it (Unknown if it was remotely piloted via some onboard repeater, or was totally pre-programmed with no human involvement. The software exists to do it automatically).

- George Gassaway

[video=youtube;BhMSzC1crr0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhMSzC1crr0[/video]

Here's the SpaceX commentary about that landing attempt:

That controlled descent was successful, but about 10 seconds before landing, a valve controlling the rocket’s engine power (thrust) temporarily stopped responding to commands as quickly as it should have. As a result, it throttled down a few seconds later than commanded, and—with the rocket weighing about 67,000 lbs and traveling nearly 200 mph at this point—a few seconds can be a very long time. With the throttle essentially stuck on “high” and the engine firing longer than it was supposed to, the vehicle temporarily lost control and was unable to recover in time for landing, eventually tipping over.

Last-second tilt aside, the landing attempt happened pretty much exactly as planned. Shortly after stage separation (when the second stage leaves the first stage behind and goes on to carry Dragon to orbit), cold gas thrusters fired to flip the stage to reorient it for reentry. Then, three engines lit for a “boostback burn” that slows the rocket and brings it toward the landing site.

The engines then re-lit to slow the stage for reentry through Earth’s atmosphere, and grid fins (this time with much more hydraulic fluid) extended to steer the lift produced by the stage. Our atmosphere is like molasses to an object traveling at Mach 4, and the grid fins are essential for landing with precision. The final landing burn ignited, and together the grid fins, cold gas thrusters and steerable engines controlled the vehicle, keeping the stage within 15 meters of its target trajectory throughout the landing burn. The vehicle’s legs deployed just before it reached their drone ship, “Just Read the Instructions”, where the stage landed within 10 meters of the target, albeit a bit too hard to stay upright.

Post-launch analysis has confirmed the throttle valve as the sole cause of this hard landing. The team has made changes to help prevent, and be able to rapidly recover from, similar issues for the next attempt, which will be on our next launch—the eighth Falcon 9 and Dragon cargo mission to the space station, currently scheduled for this Sunday.

Back