SpaceX Falcon 9 historic landing thread (1st landing attempt & most recent missions)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang! I got home with just 4 minutes to go, and then it was scrubbed as soon as I started watching!

I was watching on Space.com, and they had a feed of NASA TV. There was some sort of really disturbing echo whenever the flight team would say anything. The NASA commentator was fine but everything else had an annoying echo effect.

Launch still set for 4:10 PM EDT TODAY ( Tuesday).

Below is an image taken from this article from Popular Mechanics about the Falcon-9 booster landing.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/rockets/a13927/space-reusable-falcon-9-diagram/

gallery-1428948111-spacex.jpg

Launch still set for 4:10 PM EDT TODAY ( Tuesday).

Below is an image taken from this article from Popular Mechanics about the Falcon-9 booster landing.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/rockets/a13927/space-reusable-falcon-9-diagram/

I saw a graphic a few months ago that showed more clearly when the First Stage was in free fall and when it was firing it's engines to slow down. The article you linked does mention "reigniting the engines" for the initial decent, and a "final burn" for the landing, but it's unclear how little the engines have to burn in order to get it to slow down.

Still a good read. Thanks for sharing.

Yea that scared the crap outta me with the loud " HOLD HOLD HOLD" ! I get too excited, I think I wasn't even breathing! :y:

Good luck SPACEX and no "BARGE BURNING" today... LOL.

I had to bow out of my daily walk with my wife in order to stay home and see the launch. I'll have to make it up, or she'll get ahead of me in Fitbit step count. Can't allow that.

I'm watching on Space.com. They have a feed from NASA TV, and the audio is nuts. They have the launch control audio. Then they also have an NASA TV commentator. And there is another commentator of some kind who I'm not sure who they are with... Space.com? NASA? SpaceX? Not sure. But sometimes they have at least 3 different parties all talking over each other at the same time. At one point there was techno music.

If they can put a man on the moon, why can't they manage a broadcast?

I saw that too. They looked nervous, then upset.

Nate

Something tells me they didn't make it. You could see a couple guys in the control room throw their hands up and shake their heads.
Saw that, too. I heard them announce on the live feed the boost-back burn, then a reentry burn, but never any landing burn. The last twitter post from Elon Musk was at 3 minutes to lift-off.

Saw that, too. I heard them announce on the live feed the boost-back burn, then a reentry burn, but never any landing burn. The last twitter post from Elon Musk was at 3 minutes to lift-off.

I heard them call out landing burn, but nothing related to the first stage after that.

Nate

"Ascent successful. Dragon enroute to Space Station. Rocket landed on droneship, but too hard for survival." --Elon Musk Twitter

Back