SpaceX Falcon 9 historic landing thread (1st landing attempt & most recent missions)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SES-10 Landing Video has been posted..... on Instagram. Won't preview on TRF, so below is a screenshot (I could not scroll down on Instagram to get the deck in the screenshot but I liked that angle. I hate when they post video to Instagram and not Youtube).

To see the video use this link:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSfJDjMFzwR/?taken-by=spacex&hl=en

8FD1A4T.jpg

Do not know if it was onboard or not. Certainly was not used. There were some pics of it shortly after arrival in port, showing it on the same jackstands and tightened cable with ends attached to the deck (usually some hardware welded to the deck), as used for previous ASDS landings.

They said they'd use it in "upcoming months".

Here's a video by US Launch Report, showing some work in preparing to remove the legs, and, well, not exactly the kind of pressure wash that the title implies.

[video=youtube;EkaFwFkXZoc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkaFwFkXZoc[/video]

I can't believe they were working in a thunder storm.
If that crane got it, the operator would have had a bad day.

I think the crane would act as a faraday cage and direct the electricity around the operator. Humans have far more resistance than most metals.

I think the crane would act as a faraday cage and direct the electricity around the operator. Humans have far more resistance than most metals.
Um, no. There's always a risk of a "finger" reaching out and zapping you. Bad day.

Bad news first. The NROL-76 launch has been delayed 2 weeks, from the 16th to April 30th. The NRO’s (National Reconnaissance Office) satellite is not ready, so this is a customer delay, not a SpaceX delay. No options to swap out with any other satellites, so a ripple effect to Falcon-9 launch scheduling at the Cape.

Now the big goodie. There is a massively huge detailed photo of booster 1021 before it reached the dock, produced by John Kraus. Info below

17796085_430421667310733_1087330159109785913_n.jpg

The preview does not do it justice!

In case you missed it in the barrage of first stage return photos yesterday, I took a very high-res panorama of the first stage as it approached its Port Canaveral dock. You can zoom in for lots of detail of the entire booster (well, the side that was facing me). It's pretty cool to be able to see that much detail in a rocket, and even cooler that it's on display to the public like this while they prepare it for transport. I've attached a preview of the photo to this post, but you can view the full size panorama at the link below. I tried to post-process the image to reveal the most detail in the rocket that I could. The high-res file is about 5,700 x 15,000 pixels: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1kdn8Hd3DfrOVN0dURpWmVuLVE/view?usp=sharing

Feel free to share with credit!

For those curious: 7 images were combined to make this panorama. I used a Nikon D7100 and Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 lens at 112mm.

www.johnkrausphotos.com
@johnkrausphotos

Link repeated here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1kdn8Hd3DfrOVN0dURpWmVuLVE/view

So, here is a crop sample from that huge image:

XxrJNLt.jpg

I do not know what all those rectangular things are. Update - just occurred to me what they may be. Hard-point reinforcements for the internal struts that hold the COPV Helium tanks in place. Not sure that's what they are, but it would make sense to have some reinforcements for those strut attachments.

And then this pic at the bottom, which has been reduced in size:

VNDgz0k.jpg

Note the worker to the left of the yellow jack stand. This proves they didn’t use “roomba”, and also what roomba will replace in securing it to the deck (assuming roomba works out). It would replace the jack stands, and the cables that are winched tight, connected to attachments welded to the deck.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how the second stage recovery is supposed to work when they start to attempt those in the next year or so? The second stage goes all the way to orbit, so will they attempt to land it after an orbit or two? Or will they try to slow it down and fly it back the way it came? Will it use a heat shield, like the dragon capsules do? Will it descend under chute? Or will it land under power? Landing legs? Airbags?

Does anyone know how the second stage recovery is supposed to work when they start to attempt those in the next year or so? The second stage goes all the way to orbit, so will they attempt to land it after an orbit or two? Or will they ray to slow it down and fly it back the way it came? Will it use a heat shield, like the dragon capsules do? Will it descend under Chute? Or will it land under power? Landing legs? Airbags?

The second stage is going to be much harder to solve. First challenge is the engine. The giant MVac skirt will collapse under atmospheric pressure if fired close to earth. Of course they know this as well, and I expect that they'll have made research into solutions if they're going to attempt 2nd stage recovery. My firsthand info is a year and a half old after all.

The second stage is going to be much harder to solve. First challenge is the engine. The giant MVac skirt will collapse under atmospheric pressure if fired close to earth. Of course they know this as well, and I expect that they'll have made research into solutions if they're going to attempt 2nd stage recovery. My firsthand info is a year and a half old after all.

I think at this stage it's more of a "let's try it and see what brakes" arrangements as they have nothing to loose, IE the stage is going to burn up anyway.

I think at this stage it's more of a "let's try it and see what brakes" arrangements as they have nothing to loose, IE the stage is going to burn up anyway.

Right? That's pretty much what happened for the first stage. And by doing it on paid flights, they lost a tiny fraction of money compared to traditional r&D

When I read the last few posts I was thinking that they'll probably start trying to recover the 2nd stage in the next year, "trying it and seeing what breaks", and figuring out how to keep those things from breaking...

... until I thought that they've probably already been doing this for the past year and just haven't been public with it. They've certainly had plenty of opportunities to fire retro to bring the 2nd stage down wherever they wanted - possibly 5 miles out from the recovered 1st stage on it's barge, and watched what happened with high resolution cameras. Maybe they've even managed to recover some stages under chute that have splashed down. These wouldn't have been recovered for reuse, but for inspection to learn as much as possible about the recovery.

Or maybe not, and they'll do all this next year.

When I read the last few posts I was thinking that they'll probably start trying to recover the 2nd stage in the next year, "trying it and seeing what breaks", and figuring out how to keep those things from breaking...

... until I thought that they've probably already been doing this for the past year and just haven't been public with it. They've certainly had plenty of opportunities to fire retro to bring the 2nd stage down wherever they wanted - possibly 5 miles out from the recovered 1st stage on it's barge, and watched what happened with high resolution cameras. Maybe they've even managed to recover some stages under chute that have splashed down. These wouldn't have been recovered for reuse, but for inspection to learn as much as possible about the recovery.

Or maybe not, and they'll do all this next year.

I belive that it's not that simple. The speed is very high in caparison so you really don't have enough left over fuel. Possibly they experimented with maneuvering during reentry and perhaps even a short burn, but realistically they would need a considerable size burn to bring down the speed to non fireball levels. I think that perhaps the Falcon Heavy demonstration flight is what they are thinking of using for this as they have no real payload, they can shorten the burn on the second stage and have lots of spare fuel. Of course nothing is written in concrete, they may well decide to slingshot a used dragon around the moon - who knowns.

A post from the Visual Satellite Observers mailing list [email protected]:

NROL-76 payload speculation

The first Falcon 9 launch of an NRO satellite is scheduled for 2017 Apr 30 from KSC. A Falcon 9 v 1.2 will be employed.

Initially, this seemed likely to be a LEO mission, but I now suspect that the payload is built on Boeing's BSS-702SP bus, headed for GEO. The mission may be similar to that of PAN and CLIO, aka Nemesis 1 and 2.

1. Possible LEO missions

The Falcon 9 first stage will return to the launch site (RTLS) instead of landing downrange on a barge. To-date, LEO launches have targeted the first stage to RTLS and GTO missions have targeted barge landings; therefore, initial speculation was that the payload is headed to LEO.

A NOSS launch seemed a possibility until the present two week launch delay was announced, which will not result in a change of the launch period. NOSS windows typically are planar, opening 14 min/day earlier, which should have caused the launch period to change significantly.

Another possibility might be the re-flight of the experimental USA 193 payload of NROL-21. It was launched in Dec 2006 from VAFB aboard a Delta II rocket, into a 360 km, 58.5 deg orbit. USA 193 failed within seconds of reaching orbit. I doubt that ten years would be required to build another satellite, so that program may have been cancelled.

2. Possible GEO mission

A post on 2017 March 30 to the NROL-76 discussion on NSF, alerted me to the fact that the first stage of a Falcon 9 GTO launch could RTLS, given a payload sufficiently low in mass. And he had a specific payload in mind:

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=40328.80

"I haven't done the maths, but I'm wondering if Falcon would, hypothetically, be able to return to the launch site following a GTO launch with a sufficiently light payload - such as a 2,000 kg 702SP."

Poster responded:

"Most likely, yes, RTLS is possible. The F9 upper stage can accelerate a 2,000 kg payload through about 1,300 m/s more dv than it can with a 5,300 kg payload like SES-10 which is just on the edge of ASDS recovery. Even a payload as large as 3500 kg could potentially RTLS."

That discussion reminded me that Gunter Krebs lists three US Government purchases of Boeing's BSS-702SP, all ordered in 2013:

https://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sat/hs-702.htm

More information on the purchase:

https://seradata.com/SSI/2014/03/bo...llites-from-a-mystery-us-government-customer/

While critics had pointed out that the rush of orders for "all electric" satellites that had been predicted had not really materialised as predicted, Jim Simpson, president of Boeing Satellite Systems International Inc., countered at the Satellite 2014 conference, by noting that three satellites using Boeing's all-electric BSS 702SP bus had actually been ordered in early 2013. He noted that they had been for a US Government customer but did not disclose the exact agency involved. It is assumed that the satellites, which use all-electric thrusters from propulsion, will be used for communications use.

That the U.S. government agency that purchased the three BSS-702SP has not been identified is reminiscent of PAN and CLIO, launched in 2009 and 2014, respectively. They are standard Lockheed Martin A-2100 communication satellites, procured by an unidentified U.S. government agency, in a package deal that included launch on Atlas V-401. The Lockheed Martin program name was P360.

Based on the following article, it appears that the Falcon 9 of NROL-76 was ordered in 2013 - the same year that the US government ordered the three BSS-702SP's. The NRO director stated in 2016, ?we?ve bought launches from SpaceX.? Note the plural.

https://spacenews.com/nro-discloses-previously-unannounced-launch-contract-for-spacex/

In 2013, Falcon 9 had yet to be qualified by the USAF to launch U.S. government security payloads. In 2014, SpaceX sued the USAF for having awarded a large EELV contract to ULA without a competition:

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-lawsuit-against-the-air-force-2014-4

So how could Falcon 9 have been procured in 2013 for an NRO payload? It could have been included in a package deal with Boeing for the BSS-702SP, similar to the earlier Lockheed Martin packages of its A-2100 CLIO and PAN with Atlas V-401.

It seems reasonable to assume that Boeing won a competition for the three payloads and launch vehicles. The low-cost Falcon 9 would have provided a competitive advantage. Assuming the contractor is paid only for delivery of a functioning payload to orbit, the only risk to the NRO of a payload or launch failure is a delay in its program.

Could a Falcon 9 stage 1 RTLS after launching a BSS-702SP to GTO? If the above comment by NSF poster envy887 is correct, a single BSS-702SP payload would be sufficiently low in mass to enable stage 1 to RTLS. Further to this, I obtained the following estimates using an online payload estimator:

https://www.silverbirdastronautics.com/LVperform.html

For RTLS, payload to GTO is estimated to be 2167 - 3534 kg, 95% confidence interval:

Launch Vehicle: Falcon 9 v1.2 (land recovery) w/standard fairing
Launch Site: Cape Canaveral / KSC
Destination Orbit: 36000 x 185 km, 27 deg
Estimated Payload: 2817 kg
95% Confidence Interval: 2167 - 3534 kg
Note: Caution: limited technical data available

Payload mass of the four BSS-702SP's for which Gunter Krebs listed information ranges between 1,954 kg and 2,300 kg, which falls within the 95% CI for RTLS recovery.

The reliability of the above estimate may be gauged by comparing the estimated and known payload mass for ocean barge landings:

Launch Vehicle: Falcon 9 v1.2 (ocean recovery) w/standard fairing
Launch Site: Cape Canaveral / KSC
Destination Orbit: 36000 x 185 km, 27 deg
Estimated Payload: 4664 kg
95% Confidence Interval:
3845 - 5570 kg
Note: Caution: limited technical data available

The Falcon 9 v 1.2 payload mass of missions that attempted a barge landing of stage 1 fall within the 95% CI of this estimate:

Mass, kg Stage 2 Orbit
2016 Mar 04 SES-9 5,271 325 x 40606 x 27.93
2016 May 06 JCSAT-14 4,696 177 x 35825 x 23.68
2016 May 27 Thaicom 8 3,025 374 x 90927 x 21.12
2016 Jun 15 Eutelsat 117W, ABS 2A ~4,000 390 x 62663 x 24.64 pair of BSS-702SP satellites
2016 Aug 14 JCSAT-16 4,600? 92 x 31609 x 20.94
2017 Mar 16 EchoStar 23 ~5,600 176 x 35834 x 22.44
2017 Mar 30 SES-10 5,300 235 x 33407 x 26.18

Payload mass is from Gunter Krebs' satellite tables; orbital data is from Jonathan McDowell's satellite catalogue.

The circumstantial evidence for the BSS-702SP appears to be fairly strong; however, I remain interested in alternative hypotheses. Corrections and additional information is welcome.

C80G7q0WsAEdqKD.jpg

More from the Visual Satellite Observers mailing list [email protected]:

The launch hazard chart for the region near the launch site reveals that the trajectory will follow the northeast coast
of North America; therefore, the target orbit is a quasi-60 degree LEO, or a Molniya.

https://www.patrick.af.mil/Portals/...aps/4-30-2017 LHA.pdf?ver=2017-04-20-154754-7

Per my earlier posts in this thread, since the return of the Falcon 9's first stage is targeting the launch site, the
payload is either headed for LEO, or is a fairly low in mass and headed for Molniya.

If LEO, I suspect it is a replacement or follow-on to the experimental USA 193, which was launched on NROL-21, and
failed upon reaching its 58.5 deg, 360 km orbit.

If Molniya, then I suspect it is a new generation of SDS Molniya, built on Boeing's BSS-702SP bus.

Molniya SDS seems more likely.

USA-193

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA-193

SDS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_Data_System

Pictures have surfaced of the falcon heavy center core on the test stand.

Static Test firing was good.

NROL-76 launch window opens at 7 AM EDT Sunday morning, April 30th (Uh, I'll catch the webcast later). Window closes at 8:30 AM. It seems like the booster will be a RTLS landing back at the Cape, at LZ-1

The NRO's official mission patch is this one:

https://twitter.com/NatReconOfc/status/857619425373167618

#NROL76 Mission Patch depicts Lewis & Clark heading into the great unknown to discover and explore the newly purchased Louisiana Territory.

index.php

SpaceX's mission patch:

index.php

Press Kit pdf file: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=42639.0;attach=1424524;sess=13478

Last edited:
Launch window opens a bit more than 10 hours after I post this, 7 AM EDT (Sunday April 30th).

Webcast link it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvs4tJ3qegM

Only one webcast, probably due to Military (NRO) payload. Unless this is not hosted in which case may be more of a launch at 4 AM Sunday Morning in California thing at SpaceX HQ. Won't be any views of payload fairing sep and certainly not the payload. Might not be any onboard views from the 2nd stage at all, or maybe some early into the 2nd stage burn.

Webcast will probably start at 6:40 AM EDT, usually 20 minutes before expected liftoff.

Booster will fly back to the Cape for an RTLS landing at LZ-1.

Article on NSF: https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017/04/spacex-falcon-9-first-nro-mission-nrol-76/

Photo from a few days ago, showing the payload inside of the fairing ( It was prepared and loaded by NRO), being delivered from NRO to SpaceX's pad 39A HIF. This is unlike other flights when SpaceX gets the payload and installs it into the fairings themselves.

UsJsuHl.jpg

Last edited:
Photo from a few days ago, showing the payload inside of the fairing ( It was prepared and loaded by NRO), being delivered from NRO to SpaceX's pad 39A HIF. This is unlike other flights when SpaceX gets the payload and installs it into the fairings themselves.

We've had a client have a similar security in delivery of "stuff" from Bremerton Naval Shipyard to Pearl Harbor. The crew delivered the boat to the shipyard, opened the hatches, and left. Two days later, the hatches were closed, armed Marines were on board, the cargo holds were alarmed, and the ship sailed to Pearl Harbor where the process reversed. The consensus in the office was the cargo was nuclear reactor parts, but we don't know for sure. We just designed foundations for a cargo item X by Y dimensions and weighing Z.

Webcast link for Launch window opening Monday May 1st at 7:00 AM EDT

[video=youtube;EzQpkQ1etdA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzQpkQ1etdA[/video]

That was pretty cool. Was that the first time that they kept the camera on the booster for the entire flight, since it didn't have to share the screen with the second stage? Watching the booster from the ground camera during the reentry burn really demonstrated why the thing is so cooked when it comes back!

Latest posts

Back