SpaceX Falcon 9 historic landing thread (1st landing attempt & most recent missions)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those grid fins are huge! No wonder Elon said he didn't care much about the core since it had the aluminum ones. He wanted those 8 titanium ones back.

As for this:

zI2rZAZ.jpg

Funny, but inaccurate / made up fantasy. Photo should be captioned "Photoshop of Starman leaving Earth and a made up character from a fake show, which was never in the Tesla to begin with, pretending to return to Earth". The Tesla Roadster wasn't carrying anything else (Yeah, I know "But it's a joke". But some people here see things like this and lack the sense of humor required to get it).

I should also remind people who post things like this here, that this is a SpaceX Falcon History thread. NOT funny meme or LOL thread. Please create your own for that.

As for this:

zI2rZAZ.jpg

Funny, but inaccurate / made up fantasy. Photo should be captioned "Photoshop of Starman leaving Earth and a made up character from a fake show, which was never in the Tesla to begin with, pretending to return to Earth". The Tesla Roadster wasn't carrying anything else (Yeah, I know "But it's a joke". But some people here see things like this and lack the sense of humor required to get it).

I should also remind people who post things like this here, that this is a SpaceX Falcon History thread. NOT funny meme or LOL thread. Please create your own for that.

Easy Frances. This is a community forum and although this thread was created for the purpose of one topic there are no rules that say others can't inject something off track. If you or others want that then you're free to start your own little dedicator forum and police until your heats content.

Easy Frances. This is a community forum and although this thread was created for the purpose of one topic there are no rules that say others can't inject something off track. If you or others want that then you're free to start your own little dedicator forum and police until your heats content.

Please see post number 2730, and lighten up yourself. :lol:

A couple of totally different versions of the same part of the FH webcast, when the Center Core crashed and there was just a misty spray of water before the video feed was changed to two web casters.

You know how at times you can see the same thing over and over and never notice something, until it is pointed out? Then “of course”. Well, in this first video, someone realized that the cut feed was STILL SHOWING on the main screen in the background of the two web casters, to the lower right. They added a red box to highlight that area. And while not too clear, it does become obvious that is what the feed is, and that slowly the spray clears up and there is no Falcon on the deck of the ASDS.

[video=youtube;gpBPiindEeY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpBPiindEeY[/video]

The second one is a humorous version, focusing in what the guy on the right might have been thinking once he realized what had happened.

[video=youtube;KN20es2ZqKI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN20es2ZqKI[/video]

The extra footage was from the attempted CRS-6 landing, BTW —> https://tinyurl.com/yapmnux9

Last edited:
Fascinating George! The evidence was in the background all along. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I would hate to think what the cost of those grid fins is. At about 4' x 5' I have heard that they are the largest titanium forging in the world.

At least they won't melt (or catch fire :eek:) as they come down, covering the camera lens with slag and obstructing our view, like the aluminium ones do currently.

I would hate to think what the cost of those grid fins is. At about 4' x 5' I have heard that they are the largest titanium forging in the world.

Well..... somebody posted on NSF or SpaceX Facebook that they cost $5 million a set, or $1.25 million each. But when asked for a source, they didn't have one. So I do not know how much credence to give to that, or whether it is made-up speculation. Indeed I had chosen not to post that info until you brought it up. I do not think that info is out there, to a reasonable level of confidence. Don't recall a cost for the Aluminum grid fins either.

BTW - the Titanium ones are not only bigger but shaped differently, Aluminum ones have a rectangular cross section to the "airfoils". The Titanium ones are wedge-shaped in cross-section, also the underside is sort of pointed at each intersection (which also seems to increase the chord). So they are aerodynamically better, particularly at transsonic speed, even if they were not bigger than the Aluminum ones they would be more effective.

r9aQ8.png

So, a third ASDS (Autonomous Landing Drone Ship) is being built:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/963104633639002112

Image of the tweet sequence:

Clxnmdz.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So, the name will be "A Shortfall of Gravitas" ASOG(?)

That's once again based on ship names in Iain M. Banks' "Culture" series of Sci-Fi books.

From the wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spacecraft_in_the_Culture_series
"The construction of a third drone ship, named A Shortfall of Gravitas, was announced by Elon Musk via Twitter on February 12, 2018.[10] It is named after the Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall, a ship mentioned in Look to Windward and Matter."

Probably another Marmac 300 series barge, modified, rather than "built" from the ground up (well, from the hull up). Unless they literally are having new Marmac 300 type built just for them.

Not only useful for having two ASDS's for FH side boosters to land on, when the core is being flown expendable. Also to reduce the bottleneck of having only the one, OCISLY on the East Coast, in case of damage (they lucked out in the sense that the FH Center core didn't hit it, though two of the thruster pods were damaged in some manner. Probably the underwater shock wave. Pods look OK but the prop blades or shafts or bearings, or other critical parts may be damaged in ways that can't be seen in photos).

The other being that as they fly more and more often, there will be times when they'd want to launch a single F9 while an ASDS still has the previous flight's booster (on the way back, or just in port with the F9 still on deck, resupply consumables like Diesel, etc). So they can have one ASDS ready for the next flight while the other is otherwise occupied or not ready to go back out.

And whenever they get their act together with the Boca Chica Texas coast launch site (6 months syndrome), they could send one of them there for some early flights. Before perhaps having yet another one built for Boca Chica to use.

Florida Today Article about the third ASDS: https://www.floridatoday.com/story/...p-coming-east-coast-port-canaveral/330356002/

Last edited:
"2017 Satellite Executive of the Year:
Gwynne Shotwell, President and COO, SpaceX"

b68ae970aa4bb1a20c47614f92a3f302--space-exploration-the-president.jpg

This article has a great interview with her. With some great insights into how the company is run. Rocket Science is important..... but it takes a lot more than designing to do what they've been doing.

https://interactive.satellitetoday....ear-gwynne-shotwell-president-and-coo-spacex/

While Musk takes a lot of credit for his vision, in Shotwell he found the perfect executive to run SpaceX like a finely oiled machine. She is one of the most admired and respected executives in our industry, and an inspiration for young women around the world.

It is 09:30 a.m. on her ranch in Texas, and we are talking to the 30th Via Satellite Executive of the Year, Gwynne Shotwell about everything from her history at SpaceX, her relationship with its founder and CEO, Elon Musk — the man she still calls “the boss” — and what it means for her to be the recipient of our award in its 30-year anniversary. Shotwell talks honestly, will answer the tough questions, and you feel like it is a genuine conversation, rather than a series of scripted answers that have gone through an entire communications department before you are allowed to be on the phone.

We know SpaceX is a great company. We know they are the “cool kids” of space right now and, while Elon Musk obviously takes a lot of credit for his vision and bravery to come up with SpaceX, in Shotwell he found the perfect executive to run it like a finely oiled machine. In 2016, SpaceX suffered a huge setback when a high-profile test failure led to the loss of the Spacecom satellite Amos 6, making headlines across the world. It is said we learn more about ourselves when we deal with adversity, and this would be the case with Shotwell and SpaceX. She fronted up, and led the team back from this demoralizing setback to unprecedented heights in 2017. She is one of the most admired and respected executives in our industry, and an inspiration for young women around the world. When it came to selecting our 30th Satellite Executive of the Year, there was really only one choice this time around, SpaceX President and COO, Gwynne Shotwell is our Satellite Executive of the Year 2017.

[for much more, read the article at the link: https://interactive.satellitetoday....ar-gwynne-shotwell-president-and-coo-spacex/]

I was able to ride with my brother and sister from GA to see Apollo 11 lift off at the cape. I was 10 and I will not forget that day in 1969. We even have an old-school 8mm film transferred to disk of that launch. NASA's file copy is obviously a better video to watch.
My point is I watched the Falcon Heavy live on a 55" screen at home streaming through YouTube. My palms were sweating and was on the edge of my seat. Yes it was a big deal almost as great as that day (to me) in 1969. As an engineer I still marvel the ideal of returning boosters to the cape, especially 2 at a time then one day a 3rd, too.

Local, national and international media outlets were all a buzz about a Tesla in space. Facebook and ALL the social medias were all talking about it. All of us fans wished there was more talk of the FH mission and it's impact on the space industry.
What I do know is A LOT of my non-technical/space friends and family were ALL talking about it. There are thousands of posts out there about the Falcon Heavy.

Yes most of the emphasis was on the Tesla because it was hip, it was happening.
I am glad so many were talking about it. Had it been a chunk of concrete the Falcon Heavy news coverage would have been half of what we saw or less. The media would have made sure to mention the center core was a failure over and over.

Rocketry Show Podcast mentioned this video, thought I'd repost here: [video=youtube;ImoQqNyRL8Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImoQqNyRL8Y[/video] It's fun.

I was able to lay my hands on the Hot Wheels roadster I already had in my collection last night. I started thinking about what size tubing would be the same scale...

I was able to lay my hands on the Hot Wheels roadster I already had in my collection last night. I started thinking about what size tubing would be the same scale...

I thought the same thing as I sat there watching the launch. I quit collecting HW's awhile back so I'd have to track one down. Of course now the prices will probably be ridiculous. :rolleyes:

that is going to be a big rocket if you want everything to be in scale...hot wheels are roughly 1/64 (S) scale...:)
Rex

hmm, lets see. a pair of E18s in the boosters and an F12 in the central core?
Rex

Subject: Falcon-9 PAZ Launch from Vandenberg AFB will be visually spectacular

The Falcon-9 PAZ satellite launch from Vandenberg AFB scheduled for this Saturday morning, Feb. 17th at 6:14AM PST will be visually SPECTACULAR ? almost exactly like the launch on Dec 22nd that lit up the sky in Southern California! The lighting conditions are virtually identical, except the December launch was in evening twilight - this one will be in morning twilight.

See
https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/12/28/falcon-9-launch-lights-up-southern-california-sky/

The rocket will get into sunlight 2m20sec after launch ? almost exactly at staging. The Sun is -6.3? from VAFB ? near Civil Twilight. (The Sun was -5.9? for the Dec 22nd launch at 5:27pm PST.)

Trajectory plots for various California locations can be seen at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/xb70man/albums/72157692592142634

Even from as far north as San Jose, this launch will be worth the effort to view. The plume can be quite good even from 200 miles away! (See the CASTLE ROCK plot for locations around the South Bay.) An example of what it will look like from San Jose is at:

https://youtu.be/IX_nLtXXc3E?t=3m10s which was a Delta II rocket carrying the NASA SMAP satellite.

hmm, lets see. a pair of E18s in the boosters and an F12 in the central core?
Rex

I have a 3x54mm version that's about that size under construction. It will have a pair of F59WTs in the boosters and an H110WH in the core. I guess I've talked about it enough I need to get a build thread up.

From SpaceX tweet, no time specified:

Now targeting February 18 launch of PAZ from SLC-4E to allow for additional time for pre-launch systems checks. Falcon 9 and payload remain healthy.

Apparently will be another expendable landing.

This time due to the "normal" reasons, maximum payload mass so not enough fuel to do a landing.

From NSF:

Feb 18, 2018 on reused Falcon 9 (booster 1038.2) from Vandenberg. Launch time reported as 1416 UTC, 0616 PST. First stage may be expended. PAZ is 1400kg and going to a 514-km polar orbit. SpaceX is expected to launch their demonstration satellites, Microsat 2a & 2b (a little under 400kg each, plus dispenser?), for the internet constellation on this flight.

That's a good video location.

But soo much shrieking. I was trying to hear the rocket and all I could hear was their hollering

Wow. Lots of shrieking but I'll give 'em a pass. I was at work, watching via tablet with my office door closed, and had to contain any sounds I would have liked to make.

It's a great supplemental angle, from a different direction than most of the other videos I've seen, so appreciated. Loved the landing angle too.

Back