SpaceX Falcon 9 historic landing thread (1st landing attempt & most recent missions)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That dreaded sinking feeling? Not really :)

Did anyone buy one of the Boring Flamethrowers? They have just sold out.

It is a big metal balloon. But all that seawater is murder on......well, everything. Just ask Dragon 2. That thing was basically rebuilt from the pressure vessel up after Pad-Abort.

Nope. They just seemed too boring.

Flame throwers too expensive, but at least they threw in a fire extinguisher with each thrower.

(I though flame throwers were illegal under BATFE rules.)

Flame throwers too expensive, but at least they threw in a fire extinguisher with each thrower.

(I though flame throwers were illegal under BATFE rules.)

Boring Fire Extinguishers are 30$ auxiliaries for the Boring Flame Thrower.

Flame projection devices are legal as long as the flame doesn't extend over 10' from the nozzle

OK, less boring talk, less flamethrower talk, more SpaceX Falcon talk, please.

WIRED article:

https://www.wired.com/story/spacex-...falcon-heavy/?mbid=social_twitter_onsiteshare

"SPACEX GEARS UP TO FINALLY, ACTUALLY LAUNCH THE FALCON HEAVY"

One very notable thing mentioned is that the side boosters will stagger the boostback burns, to ensure the boosters land at a different time rather than potentially within a second.

Elon Musk
‏Verified account @elonmusk
22h22 hours ago

All flamethrowers will ship with a complimentary boring fire extinguisher

OK, less boring talk, less flamethrower talk, more SpaceX Falcon talk, please.

WIRED article:

https://www.wired.com/story/spacex-...falcon-heavy/?mbid=social_twitter_onsiteshare

"SPACEX GEARS UP TO FINALLY, ACTUALLY LAUNCH THE FALCON HEAVY"

One very notable thing mentioned is that the side boosters will stagger the boostback burns, to ensure the boosters land at a different time rather than potentially within a second.

Any new news George - is it Really gonna happen ?

(scroll down for more info)

Musk used the Super Bowl hype as a distraction to secretly launch Falcon Heavy Sunday!

(scroll down for more info)

pb0iavG.jpg

JUST KIDDING!

OK, that's a Photoshop I made nearly a year ago (from the first launch of an F9 from 39A). Wanted to get one more use out of it before there's REAL photos of FH launching.

So, the REAL launch is still set for Tuesday Feb 6th, launch window opens at 1:30 PM EST.

Back-up launch day is the 7th. I'll be unavailable to see the webcast live on the 6th (unless it's delayed a few hours), so I'll see the replay.

Weather forecast is 80% GO, the 20% concerns liftoff winds and thick clouds. So weather-wise it seems to be good for launch, but viewing-wise the clouds are not going to make for good ground-based video (my above Photoshop may be "too real" regarding the clouds). Yep, I knew it was ironic that last week's EXPENDABLE launch was with perfectly clear skies, no landing to watch, and so few of the RTLS landings have had clear skies (in daylight).

Another of my old Photoshopped images is for two boosters landing. But this is already outdated, as recent news is that the two boosters will stagger their boostback burns, so they will land one after the other by several seconds (maybe up to 10?) and not within a second or two as depicted here (and SpaceX's own old animations).

ffOVUpZ.jpg

Last edited:
[video=youtube;Tk338VXcb24]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=203&v=Tk338VXcb24[/video]

Reminder, I won't be available to see what happened till a few hours after the launch window opens at 1:30 PM EST. When I get home I'm going to start the webcast and just watch as though it is live, not try to look for news.

George, you may know this already, but your picture was used on a SpaceX Instagram page. I'm not sure but this may be just a fan page. You were credited though. There's three pictures and yours is the second.

https://instagram.com/p/BezdW9DAdv2/

Thanks for sending the link. I recently re-posted my three photoshopped FH images on the SpaceX Facebook group, and someone asked for permission to use them on the instagram page.

OK, here's the non-cropped image of the Tesla Roadster mounted for flight:

IBv85Oc.jpg

So, those arm assemblies to the right, and far side (car's left side) have cameras mounted to them. So that's how they'll get video of the Roadster.

The video SpaceX released is nice, but they lost me when they showed the car, by itself, going to Mars. Even if it flies exactly as planned, it ain't gonna EVER get close to Mars, at least not in our lifetimes. Maybe some random comet/asteroid perturbation in a few millennia might throw it into Mars' path (It's intended to be an elliptical orbit around the sun, which happens to go farther out than Mar's distance from the sun. And may not be in the same plane). Don't know why they had to screw with an incredible real-life technical achievement with Science Fiction like that. Also, BTW, I'll really be surprised if they do make the car separate from the 2nd stage.

Some real rocket-science and not Sci-Fi info from today: It will go into Low Earth Orbit, then SIX hours later, will make a 3rd and final burn to reach Escape Velocity, and go into a highly elliptical heliocentric orbit. Why six hours? To prove to the USAF that the second stage can remain operational for that long. What does the USAF have to do with FH? Well, this flight is actually supposed to be a test flight to prove to the USAF that FH can launch heavy USAF payloads that the F9 can't. Well, this won't be much of a heavy payload, but a successful flight with a 6 hour delay before final second stage burn will go a long way (heavier payloads to be flown on FH before the USAF agrees to fly any of theirs)

So, webcast link:

[video=youtube;wbSwFU6tY1c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbSwFU6tY1c[/video]

Tom Cross, of Teslarati.com, took a number of nice photos near the pad Monday:

https://twitter.com/_TomCross_

index.php

index.php

index.php

Note the people at the bottom.

index.php

NEW IMAGE ADDED - Posted by Vikash Mahadeo on the SpaceX group. An great view of details of the "other side" of the TEL (Transporter Erector Launcher) near the hinge area (remember this pivots 90 degrees).

27545210_401116803682580_6442840961817028726_n.jpg

Last edited:
Falcon Heavy Press Kit:

https://www.spacex.com/sites/spacex/files/falconheavypresskit_v1.pdf

Launch Window is from 12:30 PM EST to 4:00 PM EST. Backup date is Wednesday the 7th, same times.

After launch, at some point the center core engines will throttle back, saving fuel in it while the outer boosters fire at higher thrust

Booster Engine Cut Off "BECO" is at 2:29. Normally that would mean the first stage of an F9. In this case, that's when the outer boosters will cut off and at 2:33 separate from the core which will still be thrusting.

Center core will shut down at 3:04. So that'll be a 35 seconds longer burn than the outer boosters, and 31 seconds after the boosters have separated.

Side core landings at 7:58. But they are supposed to be staggered. Center core landing on the ASDS OCISLY at 8:19. So if the stagger is spread out, there's going to be three separate landings in the span of 21 seconds.

The Webcast might have to go "Full Brady Bunch" with the video screens to show views of everything that's going on, for the landings, and also perhaps at and after shroud sep (may have those aimed-at-Roadster cameras showing a live view as the shroud seps at 3:49) .

300px-The_Brady_Bunch.jpg

Read the presskit to see other details.

Falcon Heavy mission patch:

27459922_10210968070384504_4366135748741975627_n.jpg

I can foresee the video footage now, a shot of the ‘driver’ behind the wheel of the red Tesla, leaving Earth behind in the distance. Most expensive car commercial ever...

You guys know what he's doing, right?

He's shooting the most expensive automobile commercial - ever.

(oops, just noticed Worsaer beat me to it - well done)

Last edited:
I'm at Walt Disney World, going to watch from EPCOT. West side of the lake has a clear view to east.
I don't have a car here, if I did I would get closer.
I have local news website and Elon's Twitter up on the phone for updates.

M

I just had a a thought, what if?
The Red Tesla has the robot/space suit in the driver's seat. What if someone was in the suit?
Perhaps a friend or employee who has a terminal disease and...............

My parents are going to try to get a glimpse of the launch today, weather permitting. They're down in Boynton Beach. Can anyone give an idea how far away is reasonable to still see something worthwhile? In the past, when we visited the Manatee Lagoon in West Palm, it seemed to have a pretty clear view up the coast. That's a bit over 100 miles away. Would it be pointless from that distance? How much closer should they try to get?

If they aren't already on the move to a picked spot, they may not have much luck.

Most of the folks I know who are going yo see left Sat or Sun for a whole week to catch the alternate as necessary.

My parents are going to try to get a glimpse of the launch today, weather permitting. They're down in Boynton Beach. Can anyone give an idea how far away is reasonable to still see something worthwhile? In the past, when we visited the Manatee Lagoon in West Palm, it seemed to have a pretty clear view up the coast. That's a bit over 100 miles away. Would it be pointless from that distance? How much closer should they try to get?

That’s pretty far. If the sky is clear all they’ll probably see is a flare.

I recently read that the orbit will intersect Martian orbit. Is ttys intent to dry run a payload the distance but not have Martian gravity mess with the orbit?

If they aren't already on the move to a picked spot, they may not have much luck. Most of the folks I know who are going yo see left Sat or Sun for a whole week to catch the alternate as necessary.
Well, we're not talking about being "close", just somewhere on the coast where something is visible.

That’s pretty far. If the sky is clear all they’ll probably see is a flare.
How much closer to see something more significant?

Back