SpaceX Falcon 9 historic landing thread (1st landing attempt & most recent missions)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I think is kind of weird is that it doesn’t seem like they really picked a specific orbit to aim for, or they missed the orbit they were aiming for. Originally, they had talked about a “Mars orbit”, which everyone interpreted as actually orbiting Mars. That was later clarified to mean a heliocentric orbit with the aphelion at Mars distance from the sun and perihelion at Earth distance. But they ended up blasting the car out past Mars distance to almost Ceres distance from the sun. Did they really not have a particular orbit in mind and just shot it as far as they could? Or did they aim for Mars distance and something didn’t work right? Maybe Starman just stomped on the Tesla’s accelerator and didn’t let up?

You know if Musk had managed to land the sportster (ala Heavy Metal), I would give even money he could have founded a new religion.

Judging by the worship...

Of Elon on this site...

I think he has already...

Established a new religion...

At risk of raising Yeorge's ire, I disagree with the low TT theory, and lean more towards actual low fuel. Flow or tank sensors could easily abort side engine ignition to allow more for the central burn. And TT is a pyrophoric substance used for ignition. Describing it as "fuel" is a bit of a stretch.

Since there was a space suit (presumably one of the SpaceX ones similar to the ones that they are developing for astronauts), I wonder of they had any telemetry from the suit since this would be the first time one of their space suits was actually in space and not just a vacuum chamber.

Echo's my shower thoughts exactly. When provided with an opportunity for data, make like the Ferengi and Acquire!

The car was chosen as ballast
I’m sure they had a brainstorming session to pick the payload.
I wonder what was rejected as being crazy?

M

So now that they’ve flown a car to the asteroid belt, what are they going to fly next? Up until now, it was an unproven design, so no one went out on a limb to build a payload that would need a rocket of this size. But now that we can see it works, what’s going to be developed to use this heavy lift capability? My understanding is that Musk wants to move quickly to developing the BFR, and not spend resources getting Falcon Heavy rated for manned flights or much more development of Falcon Heavy at all. So in the meantime, what humongous unmanned payloads will they fly?

Is it just me or is anyone else baffled why Musk chooses to put one of his cars into space and not something else that
would maybe benefit mankind. I know it's his money and he can stroke his ego any way he wants, but cmon, really.

Sure it was a great step forward in space travel but a car? Stupidest thing ever.

It did do "something for mankind"; it made hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people smile. It caused some to get tears in their eyes, it mesmerized others. The image of the entire planet Earth reflected in the paint job of a car, and in the visor if it's driver is something that made space real for thousands of people who have never seen it in that context before. It is something they can relate to placed into an environment that they previously could not. To thousands of people, the reality of Elon's car in space, the image of driving over Earth, just made their video game world seem pretty cheesey. Space just became a real place, somewhere you could go, rather than just a backdrop for slaughtering thousands of lizard aliens. I think that is good for mankind.

The images coming from that car, high above Earth, just caused more kids to want to be involved in the reality of space and science than ten-thousand "outreach programs", even at the most over-optimistic predictions of their success. The pictures from a real car on it's way to Mars (even if we know it isn't really going there), just sparked more imaginations than any rover than NASA has ever actually landed there. The idea that Mars is a real place and that there is a mechanism that has the potential to get real people there just shifted thousands of potential college students away from default I.T., business admin. and ancient Egyptian women's studies majors over to math, engineering and physics. I think that is good for mankind.

The idea of flinging a car out to a heliocentric orbit is fun. The rocket needed to carry some form of ballast, why not make it something cool? We need to get over this idea that just because something is fun it is somehow inferior to things that are "serious" and therefore of lesser value. Fun motivates people. It is thousands of times more motivating than being admonished for not doing things in a serious manner. If something is fun, it becomes more accessible, more desirable to people and more folks want to participate. Besides all that, it's fun! Fun is to be looked forward to! It makes us laugh and relieves stress. I think that is good for mankind.

Our society has bought in to the notion that if we are not stressed, tired, concerned, worried and aware over things that other people are doing, we are not doing our part for humanity. Notice that none of those things involve us directly as individuals. We are concerned judges of what others are doing, not doing or should be doing, with no responsibility for actual involvement on our part. If you actually help one person with something today (even if it was something fun) you have done one hundred percent more than a thousand people who said "someone should do something"... We need less concern over the activities of others and more participation in the activities of others. Life, even with all the ups and downs, is fun and should be shared! I think that would be good for mankind.

So if we find ourselves concerned over what others are doing for mankind, I suggest that we skip the next three launches and give our motor money to charity. Better yet, go to the launch and help out the new guy or give some of the spectators a play by play of what is going on. The joy and camaraderie that we provide will be good for mankind, even if it is only a few of them at a time.

After all, some folks would think that using rather expensive rocket motors to shoot cardboard tubes up in the air is the stupidest thing ever. (It's not. it's real and it's FUN... See paragraph three...)

Our society has bought in to the notion that if we are not stressed, tired, concerned, worried and aware over things that other people are doing, we are not doing our part for humanity. Notice that none of those things involve us directly as individuals. We are concerned judges of what others are doing, not doing or should be doing, with no responsibility for actual involvement on our part. If you actually help one person with something today (even if it was something fun) you have done one hundred percent more than a thousand people who said "someone should do something"... We need less concern over the activities of others and more participation in the activities of others. Life, even with all the ups and downs, is fun and should be shared! I think that would be good for mankind.
<snip>
After all, some folks would think that using rather expensive rocket motors to shoot cardboard tubes up in the air is the stupidest thing ever. (It's not. it's real and it's FUN... See paragraph three...)

I play with my toy rockets for fun. When it gets really annoying, I sit back and watch others play with their toy rockets. I take the position that if you want me to be serious or make me mad, it will cost you six figures (and even then I won't guarantee I take you seriously).

I thought the whole darn thing was inspiring and fun up to and including the deployment of the car. What else would you expect from a man who stated "I would like to die on Mars. Just not on impact."

Musk clarified later in the press conference that it was the TEA/TEB that ran out . Not "fuel". Article on use of TEA/TEB for engine ignition:

https://space.stackexchange.com/que...mical-ignition-used-instead-of-spark-ignition

They fired the 2nd stage to fuel depletion. So, while planing on flying at least as far as Mars' distance from the sun, they didn't have to shut down early. Since there was no need to, no intercept with Mars. And no need to have any spare fuel left to de-orbit the 2nd stage (as often done for other missions, where practical, to reduce space junk).

As for the choice of the payload,why not fly something better for humanity? Realize this was a first flight, where the rocket may well fail and the payload be lost. Nearly all other rockets on their first flights launch inert ballast like concrete, or water. For FH, they launched a car (which was fully inert after mods to remove things like Tesla battery packs, fluids, vent the air in the tires, etc), but did go to the trouble to add video cameras and arm structures to hold the cameras for some neat video views.

Also, right this minute... IT IS DEAD. The 2nd stage battery lasted around 12 hours after launch. Now it's an inert hulk flying thru space. Again ,they were not going to launch some expensive satellite.... MOST big satellites cost more than the rocket they launch on (Or certainly more than the Falcon rockets). Looks like all the stuff related to launching the Roadster was done in-house by SpaceX. They modified the payload adapter mount to hold the car, added the arm structures for the cameras, and so forth, on their own dime at their own plants (likely the Tesla facilities also did some of the car mods and "pimp work"). They don't built satellites (yet), though that's something they are working on (lots of little ones, eventually. No big geostationary sats)

I'm wan't super-crazy about launching the Tesla, but it made sense for Musk and SpaceX. My earlier concerns about payload ideas was that since the fairing could hold a SCHOOL BUS, that they would launch a school bus. That would have sent a terrible message about educational priorities, to launch a school bus when so many schools need buses...or even.... SCHOOLS. Also if they had launched a bus, then that may have been a LEO thing, too heavy to send out as far as Mar's orbital distance.

And certainly launching the roadster, with the unique video footage, has probably gotten SpaceX and Tesla, hundreds of millions of dollars worth of publicity (if not now, then over time).

Lots more publicity than launching concrete, or a Wheel of Cheese. That didn't exactly make much world news in 2010.... compared to the Roadster.

https://www.space.com/10459-wheel-cheese-launched-space-private-spacecraft.html

58debf8577bb701a008b592a-1200

True, a few SpaceX fans are deep fanbois who have a near-cult-like devotion to "Elon". I sure the ____ am not one of those.

It did do "something for mankind"; it made hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people smile. It caused some to get tears in their eyes, it mesmerized others. The image of the entire planet Earth reflected in the paint job of a car, and in the visor if it's driver is something that made space real for thousands of people who have never seen it in that context before. It is something they can relate to placed into an environment that they previously could not. To thousands of people, the reality of Elon's car in space, the image of driving over Earth, just made their video game world seem pretty cheesey. Space just became a real place, somewhere you could go, rather than just a backdrop for slaughtering thousands of lizard aliens. I think that is good for mankind.

The images coming from that car, high above Earth, just caused more kids to want to be involved in the reality of space and science than ten-thousand "outreach programs", even at the most over-optimistic predictions of their success. The pictures from a real car on it's way to Mars (even if we know it isn't really going there), just sparked more imaginations than any rover than NASA has ever actually landed there. The idea that Mars is a real place and that there is a mechanism that has the potential to get real people there just shifted thousands of potential college students away from default I.T., business admin. and ancient Egyptian women's studies majors over to math, engineering and physics. I think that is good for mankind.

The idea of flinging a car out to a heliocentric orbit is fun. The rocket needed to carry some form of ballast, why not make it something cool? We need to get over this idea that just because something is fun it is somehow inferior to things that are "serious" and therefore of lesser value. Fun motivates people. It is thousands of times more motivating than being admonished for not doing things in a serious manner. If something is fun, it becomes more accessible, more desirable to people and more folks want to participate. Besides all that, it's fun! Fun is to be looked forward to! It makes us laugh and relieves stress. I think that is good for mankind.

So if we find ourselves concerned over what others are doing for mankind, I suggest that we skip the next three launches and give our motor money to charity. Better yet, go to the launch and help out the new guy or give some of the spectators a play by play of what is going on. The joy and camaraderie that we provide will be good for mankind, even if it is only a few of them at a time.

Well said.

Also, I liked the car, though I originally thought it was a bit silly. Once seeing it, I realized that it is very much in keeping with what Musk wanted to do before he founded SpaceX. Story goes he tried to buy some Russian ICBMs (sans warhead obviously) with the intent to launch a small "habitat" to Mars. Once there, a plant (I think he said a rose) would grow in the transparent bubble, and transmit images of it back to Earth. The idea was to inspire people to pursue interplanetary travel by showing actual life on Mars, even if it only lasted a little while inside a bubble.

Last edited:
Is it just me or is anyone else baffled why Musk chooses to put one of his cars into space and not something else that
would maybe benefit mankind. I know it's his money and he can stroke his ego any way he wants, but cmon, really.

Sure it was a great step forward in space travel but a car? Stupidest thing ever.

Well, he *could* have used a chunk of concrete. This was an experimental, test launch. If it had gone "BOOM!" instead of Whoosh!, then "Oh, well...". With a Tesla Roadster as ballast, if it had gone sideways, the next day the phone call..."Hello, Geico, I need to report an accident with my car...".

I personally thought the car was genius. I think that played better to the general population than any boring old sciency payload. I guess you could debate if general appeal translates to any tangible gain.

I saw a report from one of the many space news blogs that reported NASA offered to fly a Tesla Semi on the SLS. Fake news?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

space X needed to do an extended duration test of the space suit, I would imagine they had enough telemetry to show whether the suit was working. one of the circuit boards has 'made on earth by humans' written on it.
Rex

I can only imagine on what the tinfoil flat Earthers are saying about this one.

Believe me...you don't want to know.
A real a buzz kill.

That dummy in the Tesla has a higher IQ than all of them.
And the Flat Earthers trying to understand the science of it ......is like a dog barking at the vacuum cleaner.

Well, he *could* have used a chunk of concrete. This was an experimental, test launch. If it had gone "BOOM!" instead of Whoosh!, then "Oh, well...". With a Tesla Roadster as ballast, if it had gone sideways, the next day the phone call..."Hello, Geico, I need to report an accident with my car...".

"Farmers Insurance will cover the asteroid belt damage to the Tesla.......they know a thing or two - because they've seen a thing or two...."

https://youtu.be/reGIydjMJWc

[video=youtube;reGIydjMJWc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reGIydjMJWc[/video]

Last edited:
I personally thought the car was genius. I think that played better to the general population than any boring old sciency payload. I guess you could debate if general appeal translates to any tangible gain.

I saw a report from one of the many space news blogs that reported NASA offered to fly a Tesla Semi on the SLS. Fake news?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

They should have threatened to send a wrecker to get the Tesla.

Elon addressed those questions in the news conference. The suit was a qualification test item they built in creating their new suit designs. He called it "the real deal". He also said it was NOT instrumented.

On the wisdom or lack thereof in sending the Tesla with "Starman" in it on this trip - I thought it was crazy at first....but there are pictures today of or about the FH launch just about everywhere I look, in print and online. And most of them include at least one shot of "Starman". For some that's the only picture - nothing of the rocket itself (even that breathtaking double landing). So it looks to be a "crazy like a fox" sort of move. And Elon said, again in that news conference, but also at other times, that blocks of concrete or steel are boring and they wanted to have some fun with the mass simulator. Which they clearly have done.

added later: I see scrolling back that Mugs914 said this much more eloquently!

So now that they&#8217;ve flown a car to the asteroid belt, what are they going to fly next? Up until now, it was an unproven design, so no one went out on a limb to build a payload that would need a rocket of this size. But now that we can see it works, what&#8217;s going to be developed to use this heavy lift capability? My understanding is that Musk wants to move quickly to developing the BFR, and not spend resources getting Falcon Heavy rated for manned flights or much more development of Falcon Heavy at all. So in the meantime, what humongous unmanned payloads will they fly?

There are two FH flights listed here: https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/

Latest posts

Back