SpaceX Falcon 9 historic landing thread (1st landing attempt & most recent missions)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did wonder if the car was destined to travel space with it's left blinker on :)
Rex

I was hoping they'd run some remote controls so that the wheels would turn and the lights would come on after the fairing deployed.

it occurred to me that Starman's full name is probably Starman Jones, it would be a nice touch.
Rex

Watching the landings I thought of Arthur C Clark
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic“

We had a watch party at UAH.... I will testify that we were shrieking like little girls when the dual landing occurred.

So the Tesla will be on its' way to Mars soon? Tcch, what a waste. I could have put it to much better use.

I offered to Elon that I would take the Tesla, and he could launch my 2002 Mazda to Mars instead, but he wasn't interested.

Spacex site is still live with a shot or rocketman in his roadster in low earth orbit. Kind of weird.

Anyone know when the burn to push the car into the heliocentric orbit is scheduled?

Wow, that was incredible. Nervous moments and it climbed out, and went thru Max-Q. The booster sep was REALLY nice!

Turned out the staggered boostback of the boosters was an “option” that they didn’t do. Good, the near-simultaneous landings were awesome. As some of you noted, the same onboard video for the two boosters, seems to have been one video repeated, for whatever reason. I THINK that from that one booster’s video view, you could see the other booster’s re-entry burn begin, and also the landing burn, before the booster’s own engine(s) fired up.

Think they dropped the ball a bit with the fairing sep. They started the music for “Life on Mars”, but showed the computer graphics of the changing flight paths of the three boosters and second stage. Which was nice but they must have meant to change to the live camera view inside the fairing, and not that flight path graphic at that time. The crowd certainly yelled loudly about something they saw (probably the fairing sep on one of multiple monitors), before finally the view of the Roadster in the webcast. In any case, that was a very neat set-up for the camera arms to get those views, now seen “live from orbit”.

Core stage….. not sounding good. I that the hosts found out i their earpieces that it had been lost but were also probably told NOT to let the viewers know that. Certainly the boisterous SapceX employees got pretty quiet shortly after the core was supposed to land, so they probably knew what happened via an unseen monitor or knew that when a controller said “we lost the core”, apparently that meant literally lost it and not loss of widow feed. I haven’t seen any good info yet on the nature of hat happened. Other than filling in the big logical blank that if it HAD landed safely, SpaceX or Musk would have said so by now.

Second stage has done a 2nd burn to raise the apogee to 7000 KM.

Final burn to leave Earth and go into Heliocentric orbit around the sun (Apogee as far away ad Mars’ orbit is, NOT to Mars), is due sometime around 8:30 to 8:45 PM EST.

Second stage batteries will not last a long time, so do not expect the live Tesla Video to be available live for much longer. By tomorrow it’ll literally be a blip on a radar screen (NORAD’s that is), or a point of light in a telescope, no electrical power, no transmissions.

A few images from the Orlando Sentinel website. Will be looking for more to post later.

$

$

$

$

Last edited:
I wonder how well the plastics, leather and paint will hold up over time with direct exposure to the sun?

David Wayne Knisely replied to a thread on the SpaceX Facebook group, relaying news abut the center core from a press conference:

From what Musk said, only the center engine managed to ignite in the final landing burn, possibly due to not enough fuel remaining to light the other two that were needed. The stage hit at about 300 mph (483 kph) and that was that.

Interesting words there, "not enough fuel to light the other two" that were needed (It was trying a 3-engine burn where the center is ignited, then two outer ones, so it comes in faster but then slows down faster, saving fuel (LOx and RP-1) over a long burn by the center engine). I think Musk must have meant running out of the TEA-TEB which are used for igniting (and re-igniting) the engines. Because if it ran out of "fuel", as in ran out of RP-1 (and/or LOx), then the center engine would have shut down.

So, if it ran out of TEA/TEB, then if they want to keep doing the 3-engine landings, they'll probably try to fix that by adding more storage capacity for TEA/TEB. This presumes there was no malfunction that caused too much TEA/TEB to be consumed by the individually staggered ignitions of all of the engines, which is not a good assumption. Staggered ignition of the core's 9 engines, 2 at a time, for launch. Then at core boostback burn ignition of the center engine and then two outers. Then for re-entry burn ignition of the center and then two outers. And finally for landing burn, the ignition of the center engine and....not the two outers as intended. That's a lot of individual injection of TEA/TEB into each engine involved, which may not be as instantly "off" as fast as desired. And the only need to run low on one, TEA, or TEB, to have failed ignition.

Note I am not claiming it actually did run out of TEA/TEB. But the "ran out of fuel" does not make sense , as stated, given the center engine was said to be burning, that was proof there was fuel.

From other tidbits, it SEEMS like it may not have hit the ASDS, OCISLY. But nothing solid on that (of course a lot of this news is fluid, maybe it was covered in the press conference).

OK, here's a link to the conference, but it seems to be partial, not the whole thing. I just got the link and have not checked it out. Gotta start dinner now.

Oh, Battery should last for about 12 hours after launch, so around 3:30-4:00 AM EST tomorrow is ballpark for when the battery will go dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KORTP545vAc&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Easily one of the most awesome things I’ve ever seen! Had tears in my eyes for some reason. I can only imagine this is what was felt during the Apollo era. The technology involved is beyond belief.

I was 5 and remember Apollo 17 going up. Grandma made a comment about "it always rains when they launch them rockets." Then the Shuttle glide tests and subsequent launches. Today I sat in a classroom with 6th graders, watched the launch, and talked with them about transoceanic flight in under 4 hours and maybe a resort stay on an orbiting body in their lifetime. Nice to see older kids (engineers) making dreams a reality... Bravo SpaceX! Bravo!

The Viking Princess has already written advertising tag lines for voice over commercials:
1) "The Tesla Roadster-choice of armchair astronauts!"
2) "The view out of the windshield on a Tesla is out-of-this world!"
3) "Drive a Tesla-dare to go where no man has gone before."
4) 'Tesla drivers have no limits"
5) "Own a Tesla-widen your horizons!
6) "Tesla-the choice of Buzz Lightyear; To Infinity and Beyond!"
She would just not stop! I pointed out she has secretly joined the 'nerd herd' here on TRF!

Someone did a decent video showing the OCISLY feed playing on a screen in the background as they gave the old sometimes the feed cuts out due to vibrations cover story

[video=youtube;gpBPiindEeY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpBPiindEeY[/video]

Just a few minutes ago they posted the third burn was successful and showed an orbital projection that goes almost out to Ceres' orbit in the asteroid belt. Elon tweeted "Third burn successful. Exceeded Mars orbit and kept going to the Asteroid Belt."

Well, why not run that stage until it's out of fuel?

What an incredible day. I'm another who teared up at a couple of points - after max Q and when the boosters landed - at least.

Someone did a decent video showing the OCISLY feed playing on a screen in the background as they gave the old sometimes the feed cuts out due to vibrations cover story

[video=youtube;gpBPiindEeY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpBPiindEeY[/video]

I noticed that quick cover story switch as well. Perhaps Elon sent out a directive that he wants to be the one to confirm any problems if at all possible. Which is why when they were about to relay the confirmation of the center core being lost, the broadcast director or whomever screamed "Waaiit don't say it yet!" into their earpieces.

I know I teared up. Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum
Honestly, same here.

Having had rocketry in my life since I was a kid (4-6 that I can remember), this was just an amazing experience.

I wrote a letter to Obama to get us to mars...shortly after, he killed the shuttle and cut NASA to near death; it was like a stab to the heart.

I'm so proud of Elon and standing strong against the criticism. Capitalism saved the space program.

It was a great day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Back