SpaceX Falcon 9 historic landing thread (1st landing attempt & most recent missions)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That video from SpaceX didn't appear to be anything near a 12 second static firing...more like 5, of full thrust anyway.

That video from SpaceX didn't appear to be anything near a 12 second static firing...more like 5, of full thrust anyway.

There's a test sequence to bring all the motors up, then throttle up, then throttle down, and shut down in planned order. I think this makes it appear like a short test because we're all concentrating on the all-up portion of the sequence and the huge plume.

There's a test sequence to bring all the motors up, then throttle up, then throttle down, and shut down in planned order. I think this makes it appear like a short test because we're all concentrating on the all-up portion of the sequence and the huge plume.

Man that "all-up" firing is so intense, this config has such a dramatically obvious difference in the power output.

Makes sense, thanks.

Meanwhile, SpaceX DOES have other rockets to launch.

SE-16 /GovSat-1

NET Tuesday January 30th, window opening at 4:25 PM EST. Though weather may be an issue for that date.

Flying a Falcon-9 whose booster (#1032.2) is being flown the second (and last) time (Launched NROL-76 last April). It will be an expendable launch, partly since it's a Block 3 booster (now superseded by Block 4, and within a year, Block 5). And they've never flown any of the recovered boosters for a third time (Block 5 is supposed to be able to fly 10 times before major refurbishing). So OCISLY's next planned ASDS landing at sea is for the Center Core of FH.

They did a static firing Friday, which seemed to have gone well.

NSF article:

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2018/01/spacex-static-fire-ses-16-govsat1-mission/

Back to FH, a photo by SpaceX early into the firing:

(original / larger image at: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=44376.0;attach=1472656;image)

lNV50qN.jpg

According to Spaceflight Now there are 4 potential SpaceX launches in the next 16 days, 3 in March, and 4 in April. Should be an exciting few months.

According to Spaceflight Now there are 4 potential SpaceX launches in the next 16 days, 3 in March, and 4 in April. Should be an exciting few months.

How often was the Shuttle? Seems like it was maybe once every 3 or 4 months, I can't remember. I'm already making plans for a summer trip with the family to south Florida. :cool: Much better chances of seeing a launch than 5 years ago. My son will be 10 so he's the perfect age for the indelible imprint of seeing a launch in person.

Is the FH going to be launching much around July/Aug this year assuming there are no problems?

Forgot about the SpaceX definition of 6 months...

That could be either our reaction when they say that, or their reaction when they say that. Same either way.

Delayed.

Video linked above shows,
"Live in 24 hours
January 31, 4:25 PM"

From Spaceflightnow.com

01/30/2018 15:12 Stephen Clark

The launch team is expected to rotate the Falcon 9 rocket horizontal overnight to replace a transducer ahead of a planned launch attempt tomorrow.

01/30/2018 15:05 SCRUB Stephen Clark

SpaceX's launch director has announced the liftoff of the Falcon 9 rocket with GovSat 1 will not occur today. Another launch attempt could be made tomorrow, with the launch window opening at 4:25 p.m. EST (2125 GMT).

Last edited:
Launch still on for today (Wednesday the 31st). Window opens at 4:25 PM EST

[video=youtube;ScYUA51-POQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScYUA51-POQ[/video]

27173338_1572400992847962_8893604497511396978_o.jpg

Last edited:
Launch still on for today (Wednesday the 31st). Window opens at 4:25 PM EST

[video=youtube;ScYUA51-POQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScYUA51-POQ[/video]

27173338_1572400992847962_8893604497511396978_o.jpg

I think it is awesome that they do not repaint the re-use cores. You know with the exception for the FH boosters.

I think it is awesome that they do not repaint the re-use cores. You know with the exception for the FH boosters.

I wouldn't have expected them to re-paint, but I'm a little surprised they didn't take a scrub brush to it. There's probably a good reason for that. If nothing else, advertising to everyone that his is re-flown might be it.

Launch in 1 minute.

Good launch, second stage burnout into a parking orbit. Will coast for awhile (until T+25 minutes, or 4:50 PM EST) before doing a 2nd burn for a Geostationary Transfer Orbit.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have expected them to re-paint, but I'm a little surprised they didn't take a scrub brush to it. There's probably a good reason for that. If nothing else, advertising to everyone that his is re-flown might be it.
The cost to clean it is considerable and then there is the potential for damage from the cleaning process. Better to leave as is.

Tony

Last edited:
That dreaded sinking feeling? Not really :)

DU6DAbgUMAAWbNZ.jpg large.jpg

They didn't want to risk damaging the drone ship with the impending flight of FH, so they did an experiment with water landing with the intent of not recovering the stage. Apparently they are going to recover it now.

Did anyone buy one of the Boring Flamethrowers? They have just sold out.

Back