SpaceX Falcon 9 historic landing thread (1st landing attempt & most recent missions)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looked to me like the the second stage had a leak the whole time it was firing. Looked like it was coming out from under the insulation with ice forming / collecting nearby. I don't recall seeing that in previous flights. Also at seco the insulation puffs up momentarily, definitely something venting lots of gas at that point.

Ok after re-watching the video it looks like the out gassing during the burn is associated with the vent line shown here. Not sure when the middle vent line is active, but the top one is active during engine shut down. So not really an issue I guess.
Vent Hoses.jpg

What? You don't miss the $10k custom made wrenches and changing out parts in a clean room?

The part that impresses me is that they dropped that puppy on its side, pulled out a drip pan and socket set, and swapped out that actuator. In the driveway. Good to go the next day.

I grabbed a screen shot from this video shot by a drone :

[video=youtube;glEvogjdEVY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glEvogjdEVY[/video]

I called it "Picking up some dust"

2017-02-19 15_37_14-Greenshot.jpg

Last edited:
I grabbed a screen shot from this video shot by a drone :

[video=youtube;glEvogjdEVY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glEvogjdEVY[/video]

I called it "Picking up some dust"

Whats really cool is watching the 4k resolution version and seeing the landing legs deploy in full screen

I think after as many landing successes they have figured out that quick return with minimal engine burn then a well controlled landing with landing legs deployed at the last seconds. That might be one of the quickest returns to the pad flights yet. Well orchestrated.

Some of the at-sea landings have taken as long as 9.5 minutes to land, IIRC. The ones with heavier payloads that have left the Falcon with not much fuel and no "partial boost back" burn. The current version of the Falcon is "Full Thrust", which now may also be considered "Block 4" (as they have a Block 5 version coming out in the Fall, and keep changing their naming system). Anyway, it has so much more capability than the original, that the CRS-10 missions are not very heavy (also a huge factor is that the second stage only has to get it into Low Earth Orbit, and not a Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit).

What I think they did for this one, was adjust the flight path so that the first stage would climb at a higher angle (loft) than it would for a mission without an RTLS landing. So, its parabolic (ballistic) path after staging would not be as far downrange, so it would not need to use as much fuel to kill that downrange momentum and boost back. Now, that would mean then that the 2nd stage was not traveling as fast horizontally as usual. But since the Dragon payload is not that heavy, and it "only" needed to get into LEO, it was able to get into LEO despite a slower staging velocity. And, to account for Earth Gravity trying to make it fall down (or not climb as well) more due to the slower staging velocity, the greater upwards momentum from the higher angle (loft) solves that.

I experienced that sort of thing in Kerbal Space Program. Ultimately building a reusable booster that just flew vertically and staged with a lot of upwards vertical velocity, zero horizontal velocity, as the second stage slowly accelerated horizontally after staging. The second stage would fall down into the atmosphere if not for the high upward momentum of the first stage. Of course that was an extreme case, not necessarily practical. But as often happens, a great way of learning some aspects of rocket science and unforgiving orbital mechanics.

A better real-world example was the Space Shuttle. After SRB sep, the Orbiter and ET had a relatively low thrust to weight ratio. So, the SRB's accelerated the shuttle to a relatively high loft, after SRB sep the upward momentum gave the orbiter and ET time to accelerate horizontally to near orbital velocity before falling back into the atmosphere.

So, that would be a contributing issue for the booster landing sooner than for the at-sea landings. Of course, it really does not matter in the big picture if the booster lands at mission elapsed time 8:08, or 9:30, or a half hour later. As long as it lands safely where it's supposed to.

BTW - The original Technical Webcast on youtube, it ended after 15 minutes, before launch. SpaceX reposted the Technical Webcast, the corrected link is below. It is worth re-watching the flight. They did have an at-landing-pad side view video of the landing, on the right. On the left, the onboard video, which had a lag time of a few seconds as on the right the ground camera shows it landing, while on the left the legs are not deployed yet. I had noticed the lag in the Hosted webcast by the crowd reaction to events like staging, could hear them react before anything happened with the onboard video:

[video=youtube;rUDLxFUMC9c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUDLxFUMC9c[/video]

Below, a photo sequence of the landing , posted by Mseely1 on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/5v29n7/crs10_landing_seen_from_the_nasa_causeway_45/

s9f04yz3kxgy.jpg

Last edited:
How about the iconic logo scrolling past the camera on the takeoff shot?

Great launch all the way around.

Tony

Logo.jpg

(Tried to upload an animated gif of the logo but no joy.)

Last edited:
This is just absolutely mind blowing..
The first time I saw the vid of them landing this way I thought the video was BS...
Just amazing...
Good for them,,
I sure hope they can continue to do this successfully and be profitable doing it...

Teddy

I do not really want to open the can of worms on WHEN Falcon Heavy launches. At least it is getting closer to happening, whenever that is.

But I have shared this photoshop work elsewhere today and figure it's worth posting here.

998ozMp.jpg

IvtfJP6.jpg

How's your shoulder / arm George ???
Coming along ???

Thanks for asking. For those who do not know, I broke my left arm (upper humerus bone) Dec 23rd (Slipped on black ice), and had an operation to fix it Dec 31st (titanium plate and screws holding things together). More at this link:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?138074

Been out of the sling for 3 weeks. Can do at least 90% of the stuff I could before, though some things not so well (like throwing a ball accurately or with any good speed, definitely not overhand. But I have no real need for throwing a ball, just a good example). I was driving 10 days after the operation, one-handed. Still have to heal a few more weeks before starting rehab. I can move my arm (from the shoulder joint) to about 90 degrees (horizontal) in either direction (out from the side or forward), and that's it. It has been that way for 2-3 weeks so it's not getting more range of motion even though I do have some more arm strength simply from moving it after getting out of the sling. So I have to wait for more healing and rehab before trying to do exercises that eventually should lead to a range of motion more like I had before. For the most part that limited range of motion only affects trying to get something from or place something on a high shelf. Which I can do with my right hand, but not for anything big/heavy enough needing two hands.

It was warm recently, I rode my bike 1.6 miles (first time since Dec 20th). Was going to try for 2 miles but started feeling some discomfort at the break location (not much, just enough to let me know to stop) so I cut it short and rode most of the way back one-handed. I'll wait for rehab to start before trying to ride again.

Been able to work on models for several weeks, and started a bit but sorta got into a funk. I need to snap out of it and get my "winter projects" done soon.

Last edited:
Thanks for asking. For those who do not know, I broke my left arm (upper humerus bone) Dec 23rd (Slipped on black ice), and had an operation to fix it Dec 31st (titanium plate and screws holding things together). More at this link:

Been out of the sling for 3 weeks. Can do at least 90% of the stuff I could before, though some things not so well (like throwing a ball accurately or with any good speed, definitely not overhand. But I have no real need for throwing a ball, just a good example). I was driving 10 days after the operation, one-handed. Still have to heal a few more weeks before starting rehab. I can move my arm (from the shoulder joint) to about 90 degrees (horizontal) in either direction (out from the side or forward), and that's it. It has been that way for 2-3 weeks so it's not getting more range of motion even though I do have some more arm strength simply from moving it after getting out of the sling. So I have to wait for more healing and rehab before trying to do exercises that eventually should lead to a range of motion more like I had before. For the most part that limited range of motion only affects trying to get something from or place something on a high shelf. Which I can do with my right hand, but not for anything big/heavy enough needing two hands.

It was warm recently, I rode my bike 1.6 miles (first time since Dec 20th). Was going to try for 2 miles but started feeling some discomfort at the break location (not much, just enough to let me know to stop) so I cut it short and rode most of the way back one-handed. I'll wait for rehab to start before trying to ride again.

Been able to work on models for several weeks, and started a bit but sorta got into a funk. I need to snap out of it and get my "winter projects" done soon.

I would really like for this thread to be about Falcon 9 launches and landings.

For things like space junk, orbital debris, how many satellites are in orbit, possible things to do about it, and other things not related to falcon 9 launches and landings, please create a different thread.

Sorry George, just kidding around, but couldn't resist. :lol:

I know it's your thread and you can talk about your arm if you want. Not trying to be a jerk, trying to be funny (and probably failing as I so often do).

Sorry George, just kidding around, but couldn't resist. :lol:

I know it's your thread and you can talk about your arm if you want. Not trying to be a jerk, trying to be funny (and probably failing as I so often do).

I sincerely apologize..
I didn't think asking how he was doing would be a bad thing at all..

Teddy

Do you think that's what I was saying? I was poking fun at George, not you. And it was only in fun, not being serious. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.

No,,
I don't mean to bugger anybody,, lol..
I never mean anything negative..

Poking at George,, have fun,, lol..

I'm sorry,, I musta missed someting completely,, lol..

Teddy

Sigh.

FIVE messages about this.

I was tempted to update the other thread about breaking my arm and just reply here to go see that thread. I should have done so. So now I have. Any follow-ups about the arm, please use that thread.

I guess the next time I'm at a rocket club meeting that is supposed to be about rockets, and someone asks me at the meeting how my arm is doing, I should tell them we need to go to another room to discuss that.

Yeah, slightly ticked off. It was the first time in many weeks anyone on the forum had asked me how I'd been doing and apparently I was supposed to not reply.

Please don't even bother to reply to the above here, it'll just add more. I'm not going to say anymore about it after this post.

And now for something on-topic. Computer art by James Vaughan:

f945Px7.jpg

And this compilation of multiple camera views of the launch, by Jeff Seibert / AmericaSpace.com. At the end of the video, a far off view of the landing, from the roof of the VAB.

[video=youtube;fQgc-BjEQOg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQgc-BjEQOg[/video]

Last edited:
Yeah, slightly ticked off.
Dude, I was only trying to make a joke and poke a little fun. Why is everyone reacting as though I tried to shout everyone out of this thread? I'm also regretting my post. So I tried to get a laugh and ticked you off. My apologies.

I guess the next time I'm at a rocket club meeting that is supposed to be about rockets, and someone asks me at the meeting how my arm is doing, I should tell them we need to go to another room to discuss that.
I guess next time I'm at a rocket launch and someone asks me about space junk, orbital debris, how many satellites are in orbit, possible things to do about it, etc. I should also tell them I should go to another room? Why are you, of all people, reacting this way?

I don't get it. Maybe I should stay out of this thread in the future. Sorry for trying to add a little levity.

By the time most of you read this, CRS-10 should have made it to ISS, been grappled and "berthed" to dock with ISS. That's supposed to happen around 6 AM EST if not before.

https://www.spacepolicyonline.com/events/spacex-crs-10-arrival-at-iss-feb-2017-earth-orbit

Photo from previous mission, CRS-9, before being grappled by the Canadarm.

spacex.jpg

A fan-made video showing all eight of the successful Falcon-9 booster landings....at the same time.

[video=youtube;4ZCRdKxHXQI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZCRdKxHXQI[/video]

Last edited:
The docking was postponed until tomorrow. From the NASA website:

"The SpaceX Dragon cargo spacecraft waved off its planned rendezvous with the International Space Station at 3:25 a.m. EST. Onboard computers triggered the abort after recognizing an incorrect value in data about the location of the space station. Per the re-rendezvous plan built into every mission, the spacecraft automatically reset for another rendezvous and docking attempt in 24 hours."

I have no idea how an "incorrect value" happened, but maybe NASA or SpaceX will provide a more detailed explanation about the problem.

I have no idea how an "incorrect value" happened, but maybe NASA or SpaceX will provide a more detailed explanation about the problem.

Hopefully, *cough* Mars Atmospheric Orbiter *cough* it wasn't something like the wrong units *cough* metric or English *cough* were used...

CRS-10 / Dragon docked.

Article:

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017/02/flawless-spx-10-dragon-rendezvous-berthing-station/

Time-lapse of the final approach, and grapple by the Canadarm.

[video=youtube;Yi67l_weDlw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi67l_weDlw[/video]

BTW - A subdued lighting (near sunset or after sunrise) photo with the navigation lights helping to light up the underside of the solar panels. As with aircraft and boats/ships and some spacecraft (Apollo CSM and LM had them too), red is left/port, green is right/starboard.

index.php

And...... I had some more fun with Photoshop. Whenever Falcon Heavy flies, they should have a 2nd landing pad completed, so that both side boosters can come back and do RTLS landings. Unfortunately they have not moved one pebble yet to begin the 2nd landing pad and its infrastructure.

ffOVUpZ.jpg

Last edited:
And...... I had some more fun with Photoshop. Whenever Falcon Heavy flies, they should have a 2nd landing pad completed, so that both side boosters can come back and do RTLS landings. Unfortunately they have not moved one pebble yet to begin the 2nd landing pad and its infrastructure.

ffOVUpZ.jpg

Nice pic. BTW they have just gotten permission to modify the pad so hopefully we'll make see some activity soon.

I thought it was interesting that the strongback didn't retract until the moment of launch at 39a, but it was retracted a few minutes before ignition at Vandenburg during the Iridium launch. Different base support structures at the two facilities?

I thought it was interesting that the strongback didn't retract until the moment of launch at 39a, but it was retracted a few minutes before ignition at Vandenburg during the Iridium launch. Different base support structures at the two facilities?

It could have to do with developing procedures that are compatible with using manning capsules so that an escape path exists up until the moment of launch.

Back