SpaceX Falcon 9 historic landing thread (1st landing attempt & most recent missions)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, that sure went off nicely. Another safe booster landing on an ASDS.

Was interesting to fast-forward to the satellite deployments. Ten Iridium satellites deployed 100 seconds apart, to spread into a string of satellites in the same orbit.

This screenshot of the 9th deployment was best. Not only a good view of the satellite at left, but also at least four other satellites that had been deployed earlier.

UP2V5Fa.jpg

Here's a video that shows some of the deployments. And also points out the solid Oxygen, or "Oxygen ice" that develops at an Oxygen vent on the engine (have seen that a lot but rarely pointed out like this).

[video=youtube;m8uZ9L-xAOw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8uZ9L-xAOw[/video]

And, here's video from the booster re-entry burn and landing.

[video=youtube;OyLK0aPOpEE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyLK0aPOpEE[/video]

In two more days, Wednesday October 11th, the launch of SES-11 / Echostar 105 (Two different satellites). At 6:53 PM EDT, from Pad 39A. Booster will also be an ASDS landing, this time should still be in sunlight.

Wednesday October 11th, the launch of SES-11 / Echostar 105 (Two different satellites).

At 6:53 PM EDT, from Pad 39A. Booster will also be an ASDS landing, this time should still be in sunlight.

Webcast:

[video=youtube;iv1zeGSvhIw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv1zeGSvhIw[/video]

Mission Patch:

index.php

SES-11 satellite images:
index.php

index.php

Launch still "GO" for 6:53 PM, EDT.

About 13 minutes from now.

Webcast has started.

Good launch, good staging.

Reentry burn now.

WOW the grid fins glowed hot!

Loss of signal.

Landing burn soon?

Booster landed SAFE!

18th safe landing.

Second stage shut down as planned, 2nd burn in about 20 minutes

Last edited:
From the launch of Echostar / SES-11 from 39A on Wednesday.

Here's a video shot by a passenger on an airliner flying at 45,000 feet, somewhere far out into the Atlantic, looking westward. The sunset illumination of the 2nd stage plume make it very visible. At about 1:14 into the video, the landing burn of the booster can be seen WAY off in the distance.

The second stage's ground track is almost right at the airliner (no danger), eventually the elevation is too high for it to be seen out the window as it's track would have put it close to flying OVER the airliner by 100 miles altitude or more. BTW - this was some sort of regular commercial flight, and the airliner was far outside of the airspace exclusion zone (Because if they extended the zones beyond where an errant booster might impact, to include the 2nd stage if its engine shut down early, the zones would have to extend into Africa)

[video=youtube;pScwDCWlNPE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=pScwDCWlNPE[/video]

Last edited:
Any more info about the roomba? Haven't seen anything about that lately...

Had not been a landing on the ASDS barge OCISLY for quite some time, until Wednesday's launch.

Returned to Port Canaveral this morning, Roomba conspicuously absent from the deck (and had not been seen under the booster in some earlier photos at sea).

Some very troubling photos being seen the last few hours. One view, from the end of the barge, shows what seems to be fire damage to several containers, on the opposite side of the blast wall. Look at the areas to the left of the US Flag, near the bottom, apparently smoke residue (note that it is a busy port so there is what seems to be a container ship in the background at left of the Falcon and a cruise ship right of the Falcon, plus overhead crane structures)

xS3zRdt.jpg

The other view..... what blast wall? The Roomba "garage door" is open.

DMMMkXvX0AAw5XU.jpg

No official word, but...... it is looking like the Falcon's exhaust got thru the pivoting garage door which normally is at about a 45 degree angle as a blast deflector (blew it open? Latch failed? Wrong signal to open it early?). Which if true would mean the exhaust got to Roomba and may have caught various things on fire inside the "garage" and other containers that house equipment (some of that could involve hydraulic lines which if burned could allow flammable hydraulic fluid to spew all over).

UPDATE - Another photo. The cropped enlargement below is from a larger pic at this link:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4471/37670198226_82c152a846_b.jpg

SehiyJT.jpg

Yet Another Update: The image below is cropped from the large image here:
https://i.imgur.com/njU9JrD.jpg

jELd225.jpg

Can see the "garage door" is open (rotated to horizontal), the Roomba inside (under it) seems to be missing things. And apparent fire/heat damage to some of the containers.

While "Roomba" is still a project being developed, it is not critical for ASDS when not in high seas conditions (when it is not safe to have people go onboard). The more critical short-term problem is how bad is the damage to OCISLY's equipment, and how long it may take to repair it. The next scheduled launch is Koreasat-5, on Oct 30th, which is expected to have the booster land on OCISLY. Payload too heavy to be able to do an RTLS landing. So if this would take more than 10 days to fix, they either might have to delay the launch, or just go expendable with the booster.

Now, it seems until the Block-5 Falcons start flying, that they will not be flying any of the current boosters more than twice, or any that have made a "hot" re-entry after a GTO transfer launch (AFAIK, of the boosters that made their first flight with a "hot" GTO re-entry, NONE have been planned for a second flight). This is a new booster, but is a GTO launch that may be another "hot" re-entry. So, if the odds are they wont plan to fly it again anyway, and if the OCISLY repairs will take weeks, I'd not be surprised if they went expendable for the sake of scheduling.

Last edited:
I'm hating how routine these landings are becoming. I can't remember looking forward to any live event as much as the first 10 landings. The recent "two landing weekend" was "an abundance of rocket entertainment."

The engineering equivalent of the Olympics.

The antidote to routine: the Falcon Heavy launch—that will be the "can't miss" live event of the year. In whichever year it occurs. Knock on wood for this year.

Even though we now know that FH will be obsoleted eventually, the first launch promises to be the most telegenic engineering feat of the decade.

Vegas should take bets on successful landings. I'll bet the over-under would be something like 2, and to make money you'd have to bet on 1 or 3.

Me? Oh, three. Definitely three.

It's amazing to me how little press the landings have gotten. Most people have never heard that rockets now routinely land. But FH? How can that not be on every nightly newscast if they pull it off?

Thanks to George for keeping us up to date on eye candy. :)

Re: fire damage to containers. I'm not sure that's what it is. The soot on the white container in teh first email is right near that generator exhaust stack, so it could well be from the diesel and not from the Falcon. The rest of the containers just look ... well used. Someone could probably do a before and after look to see if they changed during the landing mission. Regardless, it doesn't look bad from a structural view, they just look like old and rusty containers.

Something happened. A fire of some kind, which damages at least three of the containers in the same quadrant as the Roomba/Octograbber is garaged.

In the image below, far left edge, you can see the open "garage" door (pivots to horizontal), and all the containers in place behind/to the right of it:

ZaKLxW7.jpg

Later, there was a photo, somewhere, showing the biggest container (the one to the left, elevated, with stairs leading to it) being removed by a crane. Can’t find that pic.

Pics since then have been overall views of OCISLY from a distance away, so in cropping to show just that area the quality is not great.

But in this one you can see that first container is gone but the two smaller containers on deck “behind” it are still there:

uJJ3Qlg.jpg

Then in this image, those two containers are gone:

1BBg25u.jpg

Also of note, the vertical light blue object that is visible to the left in the above two photos, reaching down into the water. That is one of the thruster “Azipods”, which rotate and provide precision thrust levels to keep the ASDS on station, to within 1 meter accuracy. They are always raised up for the ASDS to be towed. On this trip back, it was not raised, it was dragging in the water. The hydraulic pumps and some of the control equipment for that azipod are in the same area as the removed containers, as well as a generator. So the fire knocked out at least part of that stuff, even if it might “just” have been burning the hydraulic and electrical lines that go to that azipod (more likely the pump system also got taken out and perhaps a generator too).

So, something definitely happened, a fire for some reason. Totally unknown what effect it may have on OCISLY being ready to go out to sea soon for the Koreasat-5 mission which is scheduled for October 30th, 11 days away (SpaceX has said nothing about this at all). Koreasat-5 is a heavy payload with a GTO orbital profile, so it’s going to be a “hot” re-entry, no boost back, with minimal re-entry burn, so ballistically the booster is going to coast LONG distance downrange. IIRC for such missions, OCISLY had left at least 3 if not 4 days before launch, to get into place.

So they’d need to have it fixed by end of next week, to be ready for an Oct 30th launch. If they needed a few days, I could see them delaying the launch for that reason. If they needed say 2 more weeks, they might really get into thinking about flying it as an expendable mission since the “hot” re-entry flights cause so much damage its not very practical to fly them again (I have learned recently that one of the FH side boosters will be one that flew a “hot” reentry…… although it had more of a re-entry burn than some others so it was not as “hot” as the rest have been. The other FH side booster also will be reused but it had a gentler RTLS re-entry profile).

They are so hard pressed to try (or by this point pretend?) to fly FH before the end of 2017, and needing 39A for yet another launch (“Zuma”, Nov 16th, just added!) before taking 39A offline to finally complete the FH pad modifications. So that is where the pressure in the launch schedule would mostly come from to possibly decide to do Koreasat-5 as expendable, if repairs to OCISLY may take too long.

I started saying last winter that I expected FH to fly the first quarter of 2018. And that still seems to be on track, even if OCISLY is fixed soon and everything launches as scheduled. Of course some of the most gullible of the “but Elon said” people still think FH will happen in November, ‘cuz he said so way back in late July. When he said that, that was when SLC-40 (destroyed in the AMOS-6 pad explosion a year ago) was supposed to be ready to launch Falcons by late September, so 39A would be available for FH mods to begin for 60 days. As of now, SLC-40 is slated to finally fly a Falcon, NASA’s CRS-13 resupply to ISS, NET December 4th.

By now even SpaceX says “Late December” for FH. IIRC, they said that before the surprise revelation of the November 16th “Zuma” mission (that's a code name, actual name not announced yet, presumably a secret military satellite). But they may have taken that Nov 16th launch into account when they said Late December. The track record of SpaceX launching even a normal Falcon in November/December without a delay of a few weeks, is not good. In many ways, scheduling-wise, it’s almost like “NovDecember”, one month of work crammed into two months. Though some of that is not SpaceX-unique - seems to happen with a lot of launches at the Cape that time of year, more than for other months (not counting weather delays, but actual rocket/pad/payload not ready for launch, or other non-weather issues). Indeed mostly a U.S. cultural thing that not as much gets done that time of year.

Last edited:
Something happened. A fire of some kind, which damages at least three of the containers in the same quadrant as the Roomba/Octograbber is garaged.

In the image below, far left edge, you can see the open "garage" door (pivots to horizontal), and all the containers in place behind/to the right of it:

ZaKLxW7.jpg

Later, there was a photo, somewhere, showing the biggest container (the one to the left, elevated, with stairs leading to it) being removed by a crane. Can’t find that pic.

Pics since then have been overall views of OCISLY from a distance away, so in cropping to show just that area the quality is not great.

But in this one you can see that first container is gone but the two smaller containers on deck “behind” it are still there:

uJJ3Qlg.jpg

Then in this image, those two containers are gone:

1BBg25u.jpg

Also of note, the vertical light blue object that is visible to the left in the above two photos, reaching down into the water. That is one of the thruster “Azipods”, which rotate and provide precision thrust levels to keep the ASDS on station, to within 1 meter accuracy. They are always raised up for the ASDS to be towed. On this trip back, it was not raised, it was dragging in the water. The hydraulic pumps and some of the control equipment for that azipod are in the same area as the removed containers, as well as a generator. So the fire knocked out at least part of that stuff, even if it might “just” have been burning the hydraulic and electrical lines that go to that azipod (more likely the pump system also got taken out and perhaps a generator too).

So, something definitely happened, a fire for some reason. Totally unknown what effect it may have on OCISLY being ready to go out to sea soon for the Koreasat-5 mission which is scheduled for October 30th, 11 days away (SpaceX has said nothing about this at all). Koreasat-5 is a heavy payload with a GTO orbital profile, so it’s going to be a “hot” re-entry, no boost back, with minimal re-entry burn, so ballistically the booster is going to coast LONG distance downrange. IIRC for such missions, OCISLY had left at least 3 if not 4 days before launch, to get into place.

So they’d need to have it fixed by end of next week, to be ready for an Oct 30th launch. If they needed a few days, I could see them delaying the launch for that reason. If they needed say 2 more weeks, they might really get into thinking about flying it as an expendable mission since the “hot” re-entry flights cause so much damage its not very practical to fly them again (I have learned recently that one of the FH side boosters will be one that flew a “hot” reentry…… although it had more of a re-entry burn than some others so it was not as “hot” as the rest have been. The other FH side booster also will be reused but it had a gentler RTLS re-entry profile).

They are so hard pressed to try (or by this point pretend?) to fly FH before the end of 2017, and needing 39A for yet another launch (“Zuma”, Nov 16th, just added!) before taking 39A offline to finally complete the FH pad modifications. So that is where the pressure in the launch schedule would mostly come from to possibly decide to do Koreasat-5 as expendable, if repairs to OCISLY may take too long.

I started saying last winter that I expected FH to fly the first quarter of 2018. And that still seems to be on track, even if OCISLY is fixed soon and everything launches as scheduled. Of course some of the most gullible of the “but Elon said” people still think FH will happen in November, ‘cuz he said so way back in late July. When he said that, that was when SLC-40 (destroyed in the AMOS-6 pad explosion a year ago) was supposed to be ready to launch Falcons by late September, so 39A would be available for FH mods to begin for 60 days. As of now, SLC-40 is slated to finally fly a Falcon, NASA’s CRS-13 resupply to ISS, NET December 4th.

By now even SpaceX says “Late December” for FH. IIRC, they said that before the surprise revelation of the November 16th “Zuma” mission (that's a code name, actual name not announced yet, presumably a secret military satellite). But they may have taken that Nov 16th launch into account when they said Late December. The track record of SpaceX launching even a normal Falcon in November/December without a delay of a few weeks, is not good. In many ways, scheduling-wise, it’s almost like “NovDecember”, one month of work crammed into two months. Though some of that is not SpaceX-unique - seems to happen with a lot of launches at the Cape that time of year, more than for other months (not counting weather delays, but actual rocket/pad/payload not ready for launch, or other non-weather issues). Indeed mostly a U.S. cultural thing that not as much gets done that time of year.

OK, a fair amount to unpack here with the fire. Looking at the photos, I'm pretty sure the higher container (removed first) is a control room or office of some kind because of the window air conditioner. The closest one to the camera in the pictures is probably the generator because of the exhaust stack. I'd guess that the next one over has all the hydraulics. So what happened? Something clearly broke and broke badly. If someone reported that there was a fire, I would guess it was in the generator container and cooked the control/office and hydraulics containers enough that they need to be replaced. If nobody specifically reported a fire, it could be either fixing a breakdown of some kind or it could be a fire. Again, I'm not seeing anything that screams "Fire!" to me, but the photos are from far enough away that you might not see it.

Whether it's a breakdown or fire, this may not delay the launch much. Thrustmaster has a lot of these units, and they probably have spares on hand since oil drilling in the Gulf is down because of low oil prices. The generator will be easy, practically an off-the-shelf item. Depending on what electronics were in it, the control/office container might be hard.

All that said, here's some editorializing. This setup on the barge is embarrassing. It doesn't have anywhere near the level of effort put into it that it deserves. It's sort of like someone decided to rob a bank and pulled their uncle's Chevy Nova off of blocks for the getaway car. This looks like it was put together by Billy Bob's Dynamic Positioning and Bait Shack. I'm not saying that SpaceX should spend a gazillion dollars to make it look fancy, but I would expect that they would spend a couple hundred K on professionals to pay for reliability when they catch $30 million worth of booster. At a bare minimum, I would expect to see a Cat Rental Power (or equivalent) decal on the side of the generator container. The fact that they don't have that means that this was cobbled together from parts someone had in their garage.

The fact that they don't have that means that this was cobbled together from parts someone had in their garage.

Reasonable point, although you should keep in mind that it was an experiment and they had no idea if the rocket would land on the nice new and rented gen set etc. So putting it together with left over bits is probably reasonable. Probably time for an upgrade now...

Reasonable point, although you should keep in mind that it was an experiment and they had no idea if the rocket would land on the nice new and rented gen set etc. So putting it together with left over bits is probably reasonable. Probably time for an upgrade now...

"Nevermind that rocket sized hole in your generator, it will buff out..."

or

"I'm afraid there will be a slight delay returning your generator, we just need to fish it off the bottom of the Atlantic..."

All that said, here's some editorializing. This setup on the barge is embarrassing. It doesn't have anywhere near the level of effort put into it that it deserves. It's sort of like someone decided to rob a bank and pulled their uncle's Chevy Nova off of blocks for the getaway car. This looks like it was put together by Billy Bob's Dynamic Positioning and Bait Shack. I'm not saying that SpaceX should spend a gazillion dollars to make it look fancy, but I would expect that they would spend a couple hundred K on professionals to pay for reliability when they catch $30 million worth of booster. At a bare minimum, I would expect to see a Cat Rental Power (or equivalent) decal on the side of the generator container. The fact that they don't have that means that this was cobbled together from parts someone had in their garage.

The words you're looking for are "Scrappy Engineering".
When it comes to X-space and Scrappy Engineering,....... You ain't seen nothing yet!

Why do you think they're so ecstatic when things work lol

Good thing the Falcon Heavy is 3 months out! We'll get to see how a complex booster flies without a dynamic test stand!

<snipped>...All that said, here's some editorializing. This setup on the barge is embarrassing. It doesn't have anywhere near the level of effort put into it that it deserves. It's sort of like someone decided to rob a bank and pulled their uncle's Chevy Nova off of blocks for the getaway car. This looks like it was put together by Billy Bob's Dynamic Positioning and Bait Shack. I'm not saying that SpaceX should spend a gazillion dollars to make it look fancy, but I would expect that they would spend a couple hundred K on professionals to pay for reliability when they catch $30 million worth of booster. At a bare minimum, I would expect to see a Cat Rental Power (or equivalent) decal on the side of the generator container. The fact that they don't have that means that this was cobbled together from parts someone had in their garage.
Hmm, the barge ship has never failed, so tell me what the couple hundred K for reliability would do? The thing catches flaming hot rockets that have dropped down from space and you are upset they are missing a decal? I'm sure that would have made a difference.

I sent a link to this to my son who works at SpaceX. Obviously he knows what really happened and why things are they way they are. It would be interesting to be there when he and his co-workers read your rant. I'm sure they'd love to get your opinion on how to make it better. But they may want to know how much experience you have designing rocket-catching autonomous barges.

Tony

The fact that they don't have that means that this was cobbled together from parts someone had in their garage.

However all the parts are easily and relatively cheaply replaceable in the even one is damaged aka modular construction, a purpose designed structure would require custom building, and repairing each time it was damaged would be more time consuming.

cobbled together or not, it works. only real question (imo) is how much down time the system has vs a purpose built design, keeping in mind they don't own the barge so the system needs to be 'portable'
Rex

Tony's proud of his son and the work done by the company he works for. Understandable, and justifiable (if not a tad subjective lol).
Although I'd caution him against falling into the trap of forum-bickering and offense. Was there really a need to throw Boatgeek's post on an informal hobby website over the fence so your son and his buds can mock him?. They're big boys/girls and can handle some criticism from someone that doesn't have an internal view of the company.

The X has done some amazing things through ingenuity and creativity, but also partly by bucking some traditional industry practices and strategies.
It's an ideological difference that will probably always get some head shakes. They play a riskier game in order to reap increased reward. That's the reason they can do things traditional space hasn't yet (or won't).

As long as they accept (and can afford) the consequences of their strategy, they will persist. And as long as they do so, those that disagree with their approach are free to opine. Besides, who doesn't like to do a little armchair engineering every now and then?

<snip>...Although I'd caution him against falling into the trap of forum-bickering and offense.....<snip>
While we may think of our posts as all fun and games, there are real people who designed and built that barge. For someone to make such disparaging remarks about it just seemed really unnecessary, especially when it has preformed exactly as designed - it has delivered every rocket back to port safely.

Tony

I doubt Boat intended it to be disparaging (purely based on his nominal forum behavior, I haven't met him in real life).
That being said, it sounds like he has a professional disagreement with a total design dedication to function over more robust or externally verified equipment setup.

He's also not the only one on the engineering community to hold such an opinion.

Back