SpaceX Falcon 9 historic landing thread (1st landing attempt & most recent missions)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a link to a NICE view of the landing, shot by a multicopter. I cannot find the original source, the link is from a video on Facebook. And unfortunately, no preview will appear in this post (unlike Youtube videos) so you have to click the link to see it:

https://www.facebook.com/beyondoursight/videos/1409076055834767/

Here is a screenshot:

QbbCahn.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice video. It's interesting to see the gimballing action of the rocket engine. I wonder where the Cg is located on the booster when it lands. With almost no fuel in the rocket it must be close to the bottom of the rocket. This would make the rotational force of the gimbaled engine less than it would be at launch time when the Cg is higher. However, since there is less mass it doesn't require as much force to rotate the rocket either.

The smoke from the exhaust indicates that there was very little wind. That makes landing much easier. I'm still amazed they can land on the barges with so much motion in the sea and higher winds. I would like to see the landing video from a few launches ago where the legs maxed out on the amount of shock they could absorb, and the rocket landed slightly off vertical. I don't think SpaceX ever released that video.

It wasn't that long ago that you if you wanted an orbital class engine, you had to traipse to Russia and beg for one that had been built 50 years ago...

Very nice video. It's interesting to see the gimballing action of the rocket engine. I wonder where the Cg is located on the booster when it lands. With almost no fuel in the rocket it must be close to the bottom of the rocket. This would make the rotational force of the gimbaled engine less than it would be at launch time when the Cg is higher. However, since there is less mass it doesn't require as much force to rotate the rocket either.

The smoke from the exhaust indicates that there was very little wind. That makes landing much easier. I'm still amazed they can land on the barges with so much motion in the sea and higher winds. I would like to see the landing video from a few launches ago where the legs maxed out on the amount of shock they could absorb, and the rocket landed slightly off vertical. I don't think SpaceX ever released that video.

Don't forget the grid fins up at the top that slightly help it behave less like an inverted pendulum! It's definitely a dicey Controls problem to solve.

Unreleased video? Oh you have noooo idea. You haven't seen anything till you've seen 4k slo-motion drone footage of F9R blowing up.

It wasn't that long ago that you if you wanted an orbital class engine, you had to traipse to Russia and beg for one that had been built 50 years ago...

Which ......is almost exactly why Musk went for broke (almost literally) and committed to making SpaceX in the first place!

Well, another launch is set for two days from now, at Vandenberg AFB in California.

Thursday, August 24th. Local launch time (PSD) time is 11:50 AM. That's 2:50 PM Eastern.

Will be an ASDS landing on the landing barge Just Read The Instructions (JRTI). They do have a landing pad that is supposed (?) to finally be ready now, and this satellite is so light that the booster could do an RTLS landing. But it seems SpaceX didn't have everything in place in time to get approval to land there this time.

Launching the Taiwanese Formosat-5 satellite. It was orginally contracted in 2010 to be launched on a Falcon-1 rocket before SpaceX cancelled the Falcon-1 for the Falcon-9.

https://www.nspo.narl.org.tw/en2016/projects/FORMOSAT-5/program-description.html

The booster had two fires on Saturday. The first was a static firing that was successful. The second was a wildfire that the test firing accidentally started, put out by Vandenberg fire crews.

640px-FORMOSAT-5_in_orbit_%28artist_concept%29.png

I wish Elon would give us a definitive launch date for the Falcon 9 heavy maiden...

So far it's just "November". I'm going to travel to KSC to watch it and it would be nice to plan. Most powerful vehicle since Apollo V.

November eh?.....Sounds like it's......:cool: 3 months out.

*ducks back out before hurricane Jorge starts throwing a fit again*

I wish Elon would give us a definitive launch date for the Falcon 9 heavy maiden...

So far it's just "November". I'm going to travel to KSC to watch it and it would be nice to plan. Most powerful vehicle since Apollo V.

It's been "6 months away" for over 3 years now.

Even the theoretical November date depends massively on LC-40, which was severely damaged in the pad explosion last September, FINALLY being repaired. So then Space can go back to launch Falcon-9's there, and leave 39A available for at least two months of work to finally upgrade it for Falcon Heavy (which they supposedly were to have completed about.... oh, 3+ years ago).

LC-40 was supposed be ready by end of August. Well, here we are. No announcement yet on LC-40 status. I don't expect pad 39A to be truly ready until early December at best.

I said around February or so of this year, that based one everything, including the over-optimistic plans, yet the actual FH cores being completed, that I think that FH will fly "first Quarter" of 2018 (January-March). I still think that's a good guesstimate. Launch plans for ANYTHING at the Cape in Mid-November, too easily slide to December and then "poof" into January, as the Thanksgiving-New Years timeframe really has seen a lot of launches jump into the next year.

In any case, even when SpaceX says they are a month away and say the NET launch date is .... whatever.... FH involves many new things to it, and in many ways is like preparing three Falcon-9's for flight, it's inevitable there are going to be delays.

This also ignores the random factors of available launch slots, since the Eastern Test Range (KSC area) is not exclusive for SpaceX, they ave to share available launch dates with other rockets. And with the ETR rules, they do not have infinite number of personnel available for launch 7 days a week. Even the CRS launches for NASA have extra constraints, a Russian Soyuz was delayed leaving the ISS for a few days, but NASA did not want CRS to arrive until AFTER it was gone, so the CRS launch was delayed for that reason.

So, if I was planning to go see a Falcon launch, I'd plan to go see a Falcon-9 launch, but not get a plane ticket till maybe a week away. And I'd avoid dates where there would be a lot of unavailable dates after the original dates, in case of a delay that might end up with a back-up launch date many days later, even a week or more later.

The only time I ever tried to see a launch at KSC, was March 1983, to see a Challenger shuttle launch. I flew to Orlando to both compete in a contest, and to see Challenger launch a few days later (doing the contest and seeing a shuttle launch made the trip worth doing. Arranged to fly back 10 days later, staying with a friend. Before I left... Challenger had an engine problem requiring rolling it back to the VAB and 6 weeks before it was ready to fly. I went to the contest anyway and killed a lot of time (the airline had a 2 for 1 deal so I got to fly for free the next trip), but that was the only time I tried to go to see a shuttle launch on purpose.

But in 1992, the FAI World Spacemodeling Championships was held in Melbourne, Florida, near KSC. Endeavour's 2nd launch was set for early July, 6 weeks before the WSMC. Then as time went by, it slipped a week here, 2 weeks there.....and the launch day HAPPENED to be the day after we drove down to attend the WSMC. So I DID get to see a shuttle launch after all. In a way, Karma owed me seeing one (Challenger's 6 week delay when I did go down).

If I really, really really wanted to see a Falcon Heavy launch.... I'd wait for one once the FH's have been flying for awhile, never the first one. MAYBE the lunar joyride (let's not be silly enough to say when that will actually happen). What would be interesting to see, would be a FH launch after SpaceX has finally gotten their act together to build a THIRD landing pad (the 2nd one is still not complete), and do a FH launch with a light enough payload to allow for landing the center core back at the Cape too, for a triple RTLS landing.

Last edited:
In any case, evne when SpaceX says they are a month away and say the NET launch date is .... whatever.... FH involves many new things to it, and in many ways is like preparing three Falcon-9's for flight, it's inevitable there are going to be delays.

This also ignores the random factors of available launch slots, since the Eastern Test Range (KSC area) is not exclusive for SpaceX, they ave to share available launch dates with other rockets. And with the ETR rules, they do not have infinite number of personnel available for launch 7 days a week. Even the CRS laucnhes for NASA have extra constraints, a Russian Soyuz was delayed leaving the ISS for a few days, but NASA did ot want CRS to arrie until AFTER it was gone, so the CRS launch was delayed for that reason.

"Random factors" on the Eastern Test Range are likely to be even more complicated than normal since a) it's the first launch of this vehicle, and b) even Elon Musk says that there is a high probability of failure. Now, I realize that there's a certain amount of showmanship in that statement and it is intended to downplay expectations. I also realize that NASA will obviously insist on its usual rigorous safety evaluations/calculations/requirements being met, but even so, the spectre of failure will make everyone extra-cautious, especially on a vehicle with triple the amount of liquid fuel than the last one that exploded on the pad, and that will almost certainly complicate and slow things down even more.

I was away at an appointment. Just saw the launch and landing. Really great!

So, that's 15 successful landings of 13 boosters (2 reflights). Do not recall how many in a row that is, but I think that since the first success, the only landings that failed were "hot re-entry" landings that were high-risk.

And the news was reporting that this is an even dozen (12) for the year. That puts SpaceX alone as having more launches than any *nation* on earth, having just passed Russia.

Here's the booster, on JRTI.

bcjz9dj.jpg

Next up, the USAF's X-37B space plane, NET September 7th.

This will be the first time for it to be launched by a Falcon-9. Previous launches have been on Atlas-V's (501 version). This Falcon launch will be less than half the cost of an Atlas-V (maybe 1/3 the cost).

c0Oqlsm.jpg

Will launch from pad39A, so the end-of-August prediction for LC-40 repairs complete and being operational has passed (Matters mostly for Falcon Heavy since 39A needs 2 months or more of rework to upgrade it for FH, and they can't start that 39A work until launches can be shifted back to LC-40).

Static test firing was good Thursday.

So, the Falcon-9 launch of the X-37B is set for Thursday, September 7th. No time announced yet.

index.php

Do not know right now if it will be an ASDS Droneship landing, or an RTLS landing back at the Cape.

In other news, a tweet from Elon Musk:

Putting together SpaceX rocket landing blooper reel. We messed up a lot before it finally worked, but there's some epic explosion footage …

Hopefully with footage of some videos that have not been released.

Air Force preparing to launch fifth Orbital Test Vehicle mission
By Secretary of the Air Force Public Affairs / Published August 31, 2017

WASHINGTON (AFNS) -- The Air Force Rapid Capabilities Office is undergoing final launch preparations for the fifth mission of the X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle. The OTV is scheduled to launch on Sept. 7, 2017, onboard a SpaceX Falcon 9 launch vehicle.

The fifth OTV mission continues to advance the X-37B’s performance and flexibility as a space technology demonstrator and host platform for experimental payloads. This mission carries small satellite ride shares and will demonstrate greater opportunities for rapid space access and on-orbit testing of emerging space technologies. Building upon the fourth mission and previous collaboration with experiment partners, this mission will host the Air Force Research Laboratory Advanced Structurally Embedded Thermal Spreader payload to test experimental electronics and oscillating heat pipe technologies in the long duration space environment.

This will be the program’s first launch on a SpaceX Falcon 9 launch vehicle. The fifth OTV mission will also be launched into, and landed from, a higher inclination orbit than prior missions to further expand the X-37B’s orbital envelope.

“The many firsts on this mission make the upcoming OTV launch a milestone for the program,” said Randy Walden, the director of the Air Force Rapid Capabilities Office. “It is our goal to continue advancing the X-37B OTV so it can more fully support the growing space community.”

The X-37B program completed its fourth mission on May 7, 2017, landing after 718 days in orbit and extending the total number of days spent in orbit to 2,085.

Image of the X-37B about to be encapsulated inside of a shroud for one of the previous Atlas-V launches.

x-37b.jpg

This drawing may be for it inside the Falcon-9 shroud:

Screen-Shot-2017-06-07-at-12.01.21.png

And some more info:

x-37b-nasa.jpg

Last edited:
This guy didn't figure it out. He speculated that this former STS OPF at Vandenberg will be used for stealth drone ops. I say it will be used for X-37B polar orbit launches from Vandenberg as well as landings/recovery there. They already use the former STS OPF at KSC for X-37B prep and recovery:

"On 8 October 2014, NASA confirmed that X-37B vehicles would be housed at Kennedy Space Center in Orbiter Processing Facilities (OPF) 1 and 2, hangars previously occupied by the Space Shuttle. Boeing had said the space planes would use OPF-1 in January 2014, and the Air Force had previously said it was considering consolidating X-37B operations, housed at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California, nearer to their launch site at Cape Canaveral."

Why let the same at Vandenberg go to waste when you need polar orbit capability?

Exclusive: Uniquely Configured RQ-170 Stealth Spy Drone Appears At Vandenberg AFB
MARCH 3, 2017

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...0-stealth-spy-drone-appears-at-vandenberg-afb

To the southwest, the old Orbiter Processing Facility (OPF) that was built to support the failed military Space Shuttle program and its co-located SLC-6 launch complex is connected to the runway via a long taxiway. It is unknown what this facility is used for today, but it appears to feature high security and is still active, judging from satellite photos.

Vandenberg's 15,000-foot runway is mainly used to support aerial transports moving missile and rocket material to and from the installation, and to provide a practice runway for military aviation units based all around California.

The old orbiter processing facility (also known as the orbiter maintenance and checkout facility) has remained busy long after the Space Shuttle's fate at Vandenberg was sealed:

[video=youtube;Cm4MfkJeqCw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm4MfkJeqCw[/video]

X-37B launch still set for Thursday, Sept 7th. Booster will go for an RTLS Landing

60% chance of launch. If it is postponed, may be delayed several days due to to hurricane Irma on the way.

No exact launch window set yet. But NOTAM's cover the timeframe from 9:50 AM thru 2:55 PM, EDT. Probably more info on launch time by Wednesday night. Reason for the games with the launch time is that it's a DOD mission, although I do not recall them being this coy about the NROL launch time.

Video of the encapsulated X-37B being moved:

[video=youtube;trNsXrJRDHQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=001&v=trNsXrJRDHQ[/video]

Mission Patch:

USAF-X-37B-OTV-5-SPACE-PLANE-ORIGINAL.jpg

Last edited:
Well, launch window begins Thursday at 9:50 AM and ends at 2:55 PM EDT, as per this:

index.php

I'll post the webcast link as soon as I find one, not there right now (still lists the Formosat mission) https://www.spacex.com/webcast

Weather is now 50-50. At least if that launch window is not "hiding" a planned launch time like say 12 noon, they may have the flexibility to launch depending on the weather forecast for the best weather, or at least avoid the worst. There's no rendezvous involved, so launch time is not critical in that sense. The game with hiding the launch time is more likely to be to confound attempts by other countries to get time-critical assets into place for tracking it at launch or its first orbit.

BTW - close-up of logo on the shroud. The "cups" along the base are styrofoam, covering over vent holes. They face into the airflow, and are blown out as the airspeed increases. Vent holes needed since the air inside has to be vented or else the shroud would become overpressurized inside (All launch vehicles have vents of one kind or another. Shuttle orbiter had vent doors in the fuselage sides).

index.php

Last edited:
Webcast link:

[video=youtube;9M6Zvi-fFv4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M6Zvi-fFv4[/video]

Says live at 9 AM (EDT? or my time at CST?), but they only really go live with the true webcast about 10-15 minutes before launch time. For those who will be online doing other things, perhaps click on it after 9 AM so it will run "live" with a black screen and no sound, for hours, until you finally hear the background music they often play several minutes before the webcast presentation starts. I may not be checking it out "live" myself, other plans for Thursday morning, but if it does not fly till noon or so I'll try to check in.

SpaceX patch for the mission:

21430466_1685649131480266_6757091192330426747_n.jpg

Last edited:
Liftoff!

Staged, booster beginning boostback burn.

Wow, cool view of seeng the outline of the Cape coastline as the booster is coming back in.

Re-entry burn started.

Landing burn begun.

Safe landing!

21366702_10209935112441201_3671495667911113341_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back