Yet another modified Estes Super Neon XL.....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tab28682

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, after picking up a couple of the SNXL kits on sale at Estes as an inexpensive source of parts, I changed my mind on one of them and decided to build it with a bit of restyling.

Clipped the leading edge of the fin tubes to a 45 degree angle and added six fins in a new style. Otherwise, stock.

Will likely add a parasite glider attach point or two as well. Found the semi scale profile Boeing Sonic Cruiser glider at HobbyTown USA the other day. Looks like it will boost nicely and the skin on the glider surfaces adds enough strength do that it will likely survive the ascent.

Will probably fly it at the DARS launch in Jan.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Looks really cool...

I picked up a couple of those on Estes sales for parts or modification... came up with some sci-fi type designs for them...

Later! OL JR :)

Interesting idea. Are you doing any gliding tests on your booster first?

Well, not planning on gliding the booster. The only thing gliding will be the parasite glider after it releases.

First flight or two will be without the glider. Having the option of adding a parasite glider makes the model more interesting to me.

Most of my low and mid power rockets involve a glider of some sort.

Am out of town this weekend, so no rocket work for me until next week.

Had a chance to put a quickie paint job on the "Super Xenon" this weekend. I might go ahead and add another color inside the tube fins for contrast.

image.jpg

Tom,

Long time my friend. Really interesting mod to the Estes kit. May have to build mine after all. They do fly well built per instructions.

Keep missing you at the DARS launches. Hope to see you in Corsicana. I am in north Fort Worth. Have you talked to Matt lately? Saw him at NARAM 56 as we are team mates.

Chas

Tom,

Long time my friend. Really interesting mod to the Estes kit. May have to build mine after all. They do fly well built per instructions.

Keep missing you at the DARS launches. Hope to see you in Corsicana. I am in north Fort Worth. Have you talked to Matt lately? Saw him at NARAM 56 as we are team mates.

Chas

Chas, a real pleasure to hear from you! Thanks for the kind comments on the modded Super Neon.

I plan on making a number of DARS launches in 2015 and I would enjoy catching up with you. Fingers crossed for good weather in Corsicana and I hope you bring something interesting to fly.

Please tell Matt hello. I need to drop him a line as well.

Latest posts

Back