Tripoli Atlanta (TARA) is BACK! -- CANCELED

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PropellantHead

Reaction score
UPDATE: Due to horrific field conditions (i.e. - it's flooded) and the previously mentioned waiver issues, we must cancel this launch. We will try to reschedule for a future date.

I'm happy to announce that TARA will be holding it's first launch in...uh..well..a long time this January 3rd from Noon to 5pm at the Gaskins farm near Nashville, GA!

This is the same field as the GRITS Winternationals so the waiver is 20,000 ft. MSL but please use your good judgment when choosing your motors. Research motors are welcome! The field is limited to ‘N’ impulse or lower, however, so if you have an ‘N’ impulse rocket you want to send up, please let me know via private message here by 12/27/14. Failure to do so may result in not being allowed you fly that rocket. Also, if you plan to fly a two-stage high power rocket, please let me know by this same date.

Sooo, anybody out there ever fly with TARA "back in the day"?

Last edited:
Is this also with SoAR, or is the goal to be distinct from SoAR? Won't be able to make January, but I am hoping to make it down for GRITS in February. If y'all ever find a site closer to Atlanta, I'd be a regular, but for now PMW's Talladega site is the closest.

There is a lot of crossover membership between the two clubs but TARA will be it's own entity. The officers will (with rare exception) not be the same across the two clubs. TARA has it's own launch equipment but there are gaps and SoAR will be helping to fill those for this January launch. As for finding a site closer to Atlanta, we hear you! We're always looking for new fields closer in but, so far, no luck. I do love the PMW field, though!

Just may make the trek to Nashville and take it in..

BTW, getting a field with ANY type of altitude waiver close to Atlanta will be darn near impossible with the airspace restrictions for Hartsfield..

I'm happy to announce that TARA will be holding it's first launch in...uh..well..a long time this January 3rd from Noon to 5pm at the Gaskins farm near Nashville, GA!

Sooo, anybody out there ever fly with TARA "back in the day"?

Glad to hear it! Flown many times with TARA, flew Pritchett's Pride at LDRS Orangeburg, and was it's caretaker for awhile.

Philip
TRA #8319
SOAR #0074
NAR #73889 L2

BTW, getting a field with ANY type of altitude waiver close to Atlanta will be darn near impossible with the airspace restrictions for Hartsfield..

SoAR used to have a field near Calhoun about 1-1.5 hr north of ATL, though I can't recall the waiver altitude, though it was sufficient for HPR. Got my Level 1 there at the first GRITS launch.

Would love you have you come over and fly/visit with us! As for Hartsfield, I believe the Class B airspace for the airport was redefined a year or so ago to have a 7000 MSL floor from 20-30 nm out so *maybe* you could get a 5,000 foot waiver if you were 20+ miles away. Of course, good luck finding a real estate parcel that close in that doesn't have a subdivision or shopping center built on it.

SoAR used to have a field near Calhoun about 1-1.5 hr north of ATL, though I can't recall the waiver altitude, though it was sufficient for HPR. Got my Level 1 there at the first GRITS launch.

It was a 8,000 foot waiver there. It was a really decent field but it was sold and the new owner had no interest in hosting any rocketry activities, unfortunately. :(

It was a 8,000 foot waiver there. It was a really decent field but it was sold and the new owner had no interest in hosting any rocketry activities, unfortunately. :(

That field did seem to go on for quite a while. It was a sad day when Jorge told me about losing the field. When we found out that the GAMMA field (5k) and the PMW field (24k) were the same distance away, it became a no-brainer for us where to go, especially after Tripoli changed research launch rules (PMW operated every launch as a research launch).

I hate the be the bearer of bad news but the waiver for this field is stuck in processing somewhere. Despite having put in for the renewal WELL in advance of this launch, it has yet to come through so this launch is now "tentative" and trending toward canceled unless the FAA comes through at the last minute. We have never had a renewal take this long to complete and we put out some feelers to the FAA office to see what the holdup is, but being that we're right in the middle of the holiday season, I don't know when we'll hear back.

When it rains, it pours... and that is quite literally the problem now.

Our man-in-the-field went to the site yesterday and has found it to be partially under water thanks to the 8 inches of rain that fell in the area last week. Based on his knowledge of that field, he says there's no way it'll be dry by Saturday. Add that to the fact that it rained again today and there's a 70% chance of rain forecast for the launch day, we see no viable way to get a launch done. Sorry folks.

I would not want to go mud bogging in boots to get my rocket. It has rained too much.

Back