N1 Stand Off Scale - Is it worth building

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRE

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am very new to this game (only 10 Estes shots so far) but am well smitten by both model rocketry and the Soviet N1 series of rockets. To this end I have been playing with Open Rocket and come up with a draft for a Stand Off Scale N1. On paper it appears to be workable but before I invest a stack of very precious time trying to build it I need so input as to the likelihood it will actually fly :)

All comments welcome, is the only way to learn...

[Edit]

A couple of things...

I want to use baffles to reduce the need/amount of wadding/nomex in play. Is it simply a case of drilling the 2 bulkheads I have labeled baffles with a series of holes and ensuring the holes do not line up?

Is it practical to run a drinking straw/light carbon tube alongside the inner body tube for the launch rod?

Cheers.

[/Edit]

View attachment n1 mk4 18mm single.pdf

Last edited:
There's been a lot of homebuilt N-1's, so it's not exactly virgin territory...

Should be some build threads around here to give you ideas...

With enough noseweight or supplemental fins, practically ANYTHING can be made to fly stably... just a matter of how creative and how good a designer you are...

Best of luck! OL JR :)

You can get a cardstock version at https://www.currell.net/models/mod_free.htm and use it for the bulk of the exterior construction. I upscaled the V-2 to about 4" diameter and flew it a few times on D and E motors. Alas, my cardstock Saturn 1B has been awaiting the rocketry 'guts' and some repairs for two years now. The black ink is starting to fade to brown.

Good luck!
Doug

Cheers for the input guys.

I have downloaded the Carrell N1 at 1/144th and it has scared the living daylights out of me, not sure I am that competent a modeler!

Took a look at your threads FC, lovely work. I'd be scared to fly it if it looked that good :)

I will just have to press on as it looks like it can be made to fly and see what happens :) BT in hand, got some card stock, balsa and some really clean depron (from planes) so just need the children to allow me the time...

Back