ok to use enamel spray paint?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twinprop

Reaction score
I have just enough Valspar premium spray enamel in both primer and sliver to finish my V2 build, is it ok to use vs. acrylic? I'm assuming it is.

on another note, I noticed that one sheet of fins weighed a lot less than the other. I don't have a scale but could feel the difference just holding them. I went ahead and papered them but have not attached them yet. would this create a problem with flight?

Enamel is fine. Just be careful mixing enamel and acrylic or you'll ruin the paint job

The difference in the weight of the fins should be insignificant

Enamels are fine as long as you follow its recoat window (2 hours or 2 weeks). Otherwise you will get a nasty surprise.

I have just enough Valspar premium spray enamel in both primer and sliver to finish my V2 build, is it ok to use vs. acrylic? I'm assuming it is.

Enamel is typically slower drying than acrylic;several commenters noted that as a negative on the Valspar site: https://www.valsparpaint.com/en/fin...spray-paint-1/premium-enamel-spray-paint.html
If you are asking if you can top acrylic with enamel I would suggest testing on some scrap cardboard. I've done this once, years ago when I used Krylon rattle can clear over Createx airbrush color. I expected the acrylic to "melt" a bit so I sprayed the clear light and fast. Produced a very pleasing leveling of the finished product.

on another note, I noticed that one sheet of fins weighed a lot less than the other. I don't have a scale but could feel the difference just holding them. I went ahead and papered them but have not attached them yet. would this create a problem with flight?

Which V2 kit are we talking about ? Kind of hard to say what affect it would have on the flight without an accurate weigh-in. But if 2 of the 4 fins feel heavy to you just attach them to opposite sides of the airframe to balance it out. :)

If you are not over coating one with the other, just follow the manufacturer's instructions. If you are over coating, ideally, spray the enamel first and wait until it is fully cured (at least 2 days and no paint smell at the surface) before over coating. If you decide that you need to spray the acrylic first, I recommend a test piece. As always, build the second color with mist coats initially. I usually build the base of the second color with mist coats and let it cure for a day and then start on the finish a day or two later.

Enamel is fine, but you may want to do a quick search on Valspar. Folks say it takes up to two weeks to dry, even under ideal conditions.

Enamel is fine, but you may want to do a quick search on Valspar. Folks say it takes up to two weeks to dry, even under ideal conditions.

Interesting... I wonder what folks use to define "ideal conditions"...

I wonder because *I* haven't seen that. Valspar WAS an excellent paint, but their reputation has *definitely* taken a hit over the past year or two (or so). I know I have had good results with their paints, but quit using them due to their switch to the "locking caps" with the stupid "air freshener" nozzles not applying paint worth a darn.

Not doubting that folks have had trouble with the "new Valspar", but just wonder about what they call "ideal conditions". Some paints ARE *much* more susceptible to painting conditions to determine their outcome than others.

Later! OL JR :)

Well, here is the most recent Thread I can think of where some folks have had less than ideal results with Valspar.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...aint-from-Lowes&highlight=Valspar+Spray+Paint

Sure, it might be fine if you can use it properly to the letter, but for Rocketry, there are likely Paints that are easier to get good results with.
I like Testors Enamel sometimes and get good results with it for example.

Well, here is the most recent Thread I can think of where some folks have had less than ideal results with Valspar.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...aint-from-Lowes&highlight=Valspar+Spray+Paint

Sure, it might be fine if you can use it properly to the letter, but for Rocketry, there are likely Paints that are easier to get good results with.
I like Testors Enamel sometimes and get good results with it for example.

Agree completely (there are paints which work more reliably, so why use something that is finicky??). That's why I don't use Krylon unless I absolutely have to.

The easiest paint I've used is Walmart Colorplace...

Later! OL JR :)

Has Wal Mart changed their formula? Paint I had the most trouble with was Wal Mart, Krylon always worked well.

Has Wal Mart changed their formula? Paint I had the most trouble with was Wal Mart, Krylon always worked well.

I dunno...

I've been using Colorplace for basic black-n-white (NASA-type) paint jobs for the last five years or so and haven't had ANY complaints... (other than when WM stopped selling the friggin' primer for about a year! Good thing it's back now!)

I've had new Krylon give me some problems that I've had to work around. I've heard a LOT of stories about it TOTALLY RUINING several people's paint jobs on their projects, even when they were EXTRA careful, and they had to go back to square one... I'll use new Krylon if I ABSOLUTELY have to (color I can't get in ANY other brand) but it is ALWAYS my paint of last resort...

YMMV... OL JR :)

Back