critique my rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Englertracing

Reaction score
[video=youtube_share;fhCw0X3W1Fg]https://youtu.be/fhCw0X3W1Fg[/video]

this is my first rocket since the one i built with my cousin 15 the motor didn't stay in the rocket... didn't really understand the violence of a g80 at the time.

details not shown in the video.
rocket weighed 220G ready to go.
the fins have 45* angles on the front a 60 on the rear for rocket rotation
the front of the fins have a notch that the rocket tube slides into
the fins are made from free for me G10 fiberglass from a shop i used to work at called plastifab
the motor mounts are machined from phenolic which i also got from plastifab, they actually claim they have the largest phenolic tube inventory in the u.s.

I marked the length of the fins on the body tube,
put the body tube in my late, My late has a pin behind the chuck and 60 holes on the drive that lets you index things in 6 degree increments.
i put a razor blade in the tool holder and every 120* i cut the body tube from mark to mark.
then i moved the blade 0.062" and repeated. bing bang boom perfect straight exactly 120* separation fin slots.
i got the fin design somewhere online they are 2d long 2d high and 1d at the tip
i know a small amount about aero from a book which is my bible, its called race car vehicle dynamics (its a college text book for vehicle design)
i figured the CP for the rocket and fins would be much further back
i got open rocket sim and boy was i surprised how far forwards the cp was. i realized it was really wrong to put my fins .250" from the end of the rocket and was verry concerned my cp and cg were too close togeather, but my fins were already made, and my fin slots were already cut but my streamer moved my cg far enough forwards not to matter and i ensured my stramer would stay in just below the nosecone
any new rocket i make will have the fins root end at the end of the rocket. and the tips likely behind to minimize fin size and get the cp as far back as i can

the way the fins are glued in they are STIFF s.o.b.s
but probably a bit heavy

i used autocad made a drawing of a circle (the body tube) with the fins radiating from it, the same width as my fins 0.062" and beyond the fins a flat so its sor of a hexagon shape.
i printed 3 of these, glued them to hardboard (back of a notepad) cut them out with a razor blade and ruler and used it as a gluing jig... ill post a pic of anyone is interested, actually i should probably convert my jiggy from a autocad dwg to a pdf then anyone could print it.

i machined a .250" slot in a 5ft 3/4x3/4" square aluminum tube for my launch rod
that slips into a 1x1 steel square tube which is welded to a 8x8 steel plate which was mean to have a 25lb iron exercise weight slipped over the 1x1 tube... but it didn't fit over the 1x1 so i buried the plate.

my launch lugs are a bit bulky but..... they are 0.88$ a pair at the hardware store
the lower one threads right into my lower centering ring/motor mount
the upper one threads into an aluminum tubby thingy that my streamer attaches to
id like to slim them down on the next rockets

the streamer is wound 1 foot clockwise 1 foot counterclockwise and attaches to the "shock cord" at the inside of the roll
as the streamer extends it comes out straight instead of wound up

also anyone have any idea why the heck my g80t exploded?
the fuel did not burn at all it was completely intact laying beside the rocket

also id like to build the same rocket with revised fin placement
and an I205 engine
do you think it will hold up?
should i use blue tube? its alot heaver

Last edited:
um thanks,
please excuse the language of my family (brother and cousin)
ill edit anything potentially offensive and reupload the video.

Last edited:
Did you shove the motor in against anything? Like it was tight and it got forced in? I have seen AeroTech motors let go when someone once held the rocket and pushed the motor in by pressing the nozzle against a fender. It cracked the nozzle loose from the rest of the case and it blew out just about like yours. Except yours went out the side. too. hmmm...

you may have noticed that this forum is quite easily found, as such we get a lot of people viewing it and a fair number of them are children. for this and other reasons we try and maintain a family friendly atmosphere...let's keep our posts if not G rated, a PG atmosphere. thank you for editing your video.
that said, please read this post https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?7343-Report-a-Malfunctioning-Engine if you also report the failure to Aero tech there is a chance that you will get a replacement motor. the 'blue thunder' propellant is noted for self extinguishing when the chamber pressure drops rapidly. obviously the motor over pressurized, whether it was caused by a clogged nozzle(ignitor, resting on the ground), or a defect in the case is hard to say. the rocket itself looked like you got it right.
Rex

you may have noticed that this forum is quite easily found, as such we get a lot of people viewing it and a fair number of them are children. for this and other reasons we try and maintain a family friendly atmosphere...let's keep our posts if not G rated, a PG atmosphere. thank you for editing your video.
that said, please read this post https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?7343-Report-a-Malfunctioning-Engine if you also report the failure to Aero tech there is a chance that you will get a replacement motor. the 'blue thunder' propellant is noted for self extinguishing when the chamber pressure drops rapidly. obviously the motor over pressurized, whether it was caused by a clogged nozzle(ignitor, resting on the ground), or a defect in the case is hard to say. the rocket itself looked like you got it right.
Rex

well,
the motor was a really tight fit i machined the centering ring/motor mounts quite tight
and getting a small amount of epoxy on the motor, and mounts made taking them out quite difficult
relatively easy in tho....
its hard to see in the picture but the nozzles were no resting on the ground the slot in my launch rod stops short.
the ignitor fit really loose in the g80t nozzle and extremely tight in the g35 nozzle

in the pictures i posted you cant see it because its buried in the sand, the nozzle is still attached it all hemoraged from the side.
i havent even taken it apart yet but im thinking it actually failed at the parting line on the side of the casing.
i hope they give me a new motor...

Nice job, and nice looking rocket. Honestly you really don't need any critique on your rockets, you are doing fine on your own.

Hey you worked at Plastifab! I've bought a lot of stuff from them...

Are you still in the LA area?

first summer after high school i was a super duper button pusher (cnc operator)
until they hit a rough patch and got too slow, after that i went to do machine work on manual machines.

I know the hole family that owns it i lived on their street for 12 years went to school / grew up with the kids from 3rd grade till graduation. Some of my oldest friends. Our family's used to go camping/riding together all the time.
I moved about 10 mins away now.

they had some really neat stuff there.
they are founded on the aerospace industry.
they make/made all kinds of parts for douglas, northrop, lockheed, boeing, ge, and even some sattelite parts
the make the inflight refueling tips from a material called torlon that's unbelievably expensive

Last edited:
also id like to build the same rocket with revised fin placement
and an I205 engine
do you think it will hold up?
should i use blue tube? its alot heaver
The I205 is a high power motor, requiring NAR or TRA HPR certification, and an FAA waiver. Start with www.nar.org, and seek out a local club if you want to go down this path. Looks like a G80 CATO, not uncommon for these single use engines with plastic casings, which are fragile IMHO. Standard LOC style cardboard tubing is sufficient for many high power rockets.

Not trying to "rain on your parade" or anything... but.....

It is "illegal" to fly high power rockets in the State of California (your fast food drink cup tells me you are in Southern California's Inland Empire) without proper licensing and permits. In our state, high power rocketry is defined as any rocket weighing over 500 grams (about 17 oz.) loaded or above a motor having more than 160Ns impulse (G motor). Likewise the motor itself must be "Classified" by the State Fire Marshall. This will be either as "Model Rocket Engine" or "High Power". Model rocket launches require both the permission of the land owner and the local fire authority (usually a permit).

Rockets are great fun, but try not to ruin it for the rest of us.

The Rocketry Organization of California (ROC), has a launch every 2nd Saturday of the month out a Lucerne Dry Lake near Apple Valley. Unfortunately rained out for tomorrow. :( They have all the licensing and permits required, tons of launch equipment, on-site vendors to sell your kits and motors, and lots of rocketeers having fun. I highly recommend attending their "legal" launches.

Enjoy!

Jerome

Quite and interesting "launch stand", as it appears to be a rail stuck in the ground with a few rocks.

Did you secure the ignitior into the motor in any way? Is there a chance that it had slipped to the back end of the motor instead of in the front? These motors need to be lit at the front of the propellant, and not the rear, or odd things can happen.
Your whole setup seems top be a bit odd...Like, why make a custom rail? 1010 rail would be find here, and use standard rail buttons.

You should consider painting them red or some other high visibility color so you can spot them easier in the sky and on the ground.

I didn't read everything in this thread but I have to say if you can get what is basically a minimum diameter rocket to withstand a G77 you clearly have some skills. Now it's time to hone them a bit. I think getting with a rocket club is far and away the best method to getting some rocket knowledge and skill. Plus, you'll get to see some really cool projects as well. And as a side benefit, they'll help keep you legal. ;)

An I motor in that design would work but the kick is going to be substantially more - obviously. I think I saw you ask about blue tube and that certainly is a good option. And yes, it is heavier and I think it would hold up. Depending on how it's built and whether or not you throw some electronics in there a minimum diameter I rocket is going to be in the mach 1.5+ neighborhood. I'm usually the guy that encourages folks not to over build their rockets but with those stresses I really think either a glassed paper/phenolic tube, blue tube or a straight fiberglass tubing is the way to go.

Get yourself with a club that has a waiver, learn some stuff and have some fun. If this is what you are churning out for your first go-round I'm really interested in seeing what you come up with once you get certification under your belt.

Oh and my best advice: Do whats fun. Seriously. People seem to forget that this is a hobby.

Not trying to "rain on your parade" or anything... but.....

It is "illegal" to fly high power rockets in the State of California (your fast food drink cup tells me you are in Southern California's Inland Empire) without proper licensing and permits. In our state, high power rocketry is defined as any rocket weighing over 500 grams (about 17 oz.) loaded or above a motor having more than 160Ns impulse (G motor). Likewise the motor itself must be "Classified" by the State Fire Marshall. This will be either as "Model Rocket Engine" or "High Power". Model rocket launches require both the permission of the land owner and the local fire authority (usually a permit).

Rockets are great fun, but try not to ruin it for the rest of us.

The Rocketry Organization of California (ROC), has a launch every 2nd Saturday of the month out a Lucerne Dry Lake near Apple Valley. Unfortunately rained out for tomorrow. :( They have all the licensing and permits required, tons of launch equipment, on-site vendors to sell your kits and motors, and lots of rocketeers having fun. I highly recommend attending their "legal" launches.

Enjoy!

Jerome

I'm aware of this.
Rest assured ill be attending a meet for anything over a g motor :)

Quite and interesting "launch stand", as it appears to be a rail stuck in the ground with a few rocks.

Did you secure the ignitior into the motor in any way? Is there a chance that it had slipped to the back end of the motor instead of in the front? These motors need to be lit at the front of the propellant, and not the rear, or odd things can happen.
Your whole setup seems top be a bit odd...Like, why make a custom rail? 1010 rail would be find here, and use standard rail buttons.

I used the little rubber band they supplied to secure the ignitor which was fully insertrd.

Everything I did was just off the top of my head.
I never even looked at anyone else's rails didn't know where to get one
Just new I didn't want the little launch rod used for a to d rockets.

And no Imo sticking the rail In the ground with rocks is a bit janky
The 3/4" aluminum square tube goes into a 1x1 square steel tube.
The 1x1 steel tube is welded to a 8x8 piece of 10ga steel plate....
I picked up the aluminum tube for 6$ while buying material for a jig to hold an aprilia engine in the mill.... Than ripped the 1/4" slot in the 3/4" aluminum tube in the bridgeport in like 5 mins with powerfeed.

Didn't know where to get launch rail but mine cost me 6$. The rest was laying on the floor in the garrage.
I originally intended to slip a 10lb exercise weight over the 1x1 steel tube and rest on the plate but it just didn't quite fit over... So I said meh ill bury it.

IMAG2242_zps85fb23f1.jpg

Last edited:
LOL that's hilarious because I've flown with clubs who have stands not much more complicated than that. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best one.

To save you the hassle of burying the bottom of the stand you could bolt some 2x4's on the bottom in a + pattern with about 2' of wood sticking out on each leg. Or if you are a metal head I'm sure there are some metal tubing options that would work as well. If you're just doing G motors you don't need something seriously substantial. Just a thought...Good luck.

-Dave

You should consider painting them red or some other high visibility color so you can spot them easier in the sky and on the ground.

i think i will paint them red or orange
i just picked up some more body tubes
i think ill just paint the tube and not the fins, i like the green color of the g10

I'm aware of this.
Rest assured ill be attending a meet for anything over a g motor :)

There are very few places you can "legally" launch rockets in California on your own period. Even flying tiny micromaxx motor though a G requires permission of the local fire authority (a permit). Be aware the fine is around $ 1,000.00 for launching a motor "classified" as a "model rocket engine". If you get caught launching a "high power" without a Cal-pyro license or an illegal non-classified motor, that's probably jail time.

ROC launches once a month (weather permitting) for both low power "model rocketry" and high power. Likewise, SCRA lunches twice a month in Irwindale, CA at the Santa Fe Dam Recreational Area for California "legal" model rocketry up through "G" impulse (500gram total weight limit, CSFM Classified "Model Rocket Engines"). At SCRA you can also bring your own launch gear to avoid waiting in line and push your own button.

Jerome :)

There are very few places you can "legally" launch rockets in California on your own period. Even flying tiny micromaxx motor though a G requires permission of the local fire authority (a permit). Be aware the fine is around $ 1,000.00 for launching a motor "classified" as a "model rocket engine". If you get caught launching a "high power" without a Cal-pyro license or an illegal non-classified motor, that's probably jail time.

ROC launches once a month (weather permitting) for both low power "model rocketry" and high power. Likewise, SCRA lunches twice a month in Irwindale, CA at the Santa Fe Dam Recreational Area for California "legal" model rocketry up through "G" impulse (500gram total weight limit, CSFM Classified "Model Rocket Engines"). At SCRA you can also bring your own launch gear to avoid waiting in line and push your own button.

Jerome :)

well Jerome i was not aware of all this :/
now you have official done gone and rained on my parade
I didn't at all consider that id need fire authority permission
makes sense since all flying fireworks (and exploding ones) are illegal in Cali.
Kinda just figured the dez was cool, my friends were also using copious amounts of illegal fireworks there as well.

The Santa Fe Dam is literally about 1min 30seconds from my work. So id like to go and do my next G motors there, and attend the other mentioned meet for the I motor stuff.

Ill also look into the legality of the rockets area i visit for thanksgiving.

thanks for the information.

Aaron

Sorry for the rain.. lol..

Luckily we have a couple of great clubs in the area to get our rocket fix.

Jerome :cool:

Back