Retaining 7 motor cluster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyropetepete

Reaction score
Best way to hold this lot?

1x 54mm
3x 29mm
3x 38mm

Aeropack be amazing but the cost and weight just can not be worth it as tempting as it is.

I want something nice. Maybe have it as a thrust plate style?

Ideas?

I second the clips.... They are not bad looking and easy to use.

Given that you are in the UK (shipping alone from US might be more expensive than having it made near you), it might be easier if you have a CAD file of the cluster ring/thrust plate to take it to a local company that has a CNC Plasma/Laser and have it cut from Aluminum then you can drill and tap it for motor clips.

Back in the day before all those fancy retainers!!! Masking tape!!! I realize, I have clips here, just sayn!!! Yea I know it aint purty either!!

starcluster1.jpg

When using the plates, consider that thrust rings have various thicknesses.

I am still in development quagmire for a 1x54, 6x29 cluster and this is one of my concerns.

I've used just strategically placed threaded inserts with machine screws with washers.

Now if we could only get those Davey Fires back...............

JD

Back in the day before all those fancy retainers!!! Masking tape!!! I realize, I have clips here, just sayn!!! Yea I know it aint purty either!!

For my Iris booster with six motors, I plan to make a plate the holds them all in place. In my case, the six motors are in a ring so the plate can be anchored in the center.

You have a central motor so you could embed T-nuts in the aft ring so that each one anchored two of the outer ring and the central motor.

That's the cantering ring drawn up thanks to Mark @ Loc

Think Scott could make a cluster thrust ring motor retainer plate?

If you use an Aeropack on the central motor and positon everything close enough, the cap on the Aeropack wall be the retainer for the other motors as well. The thickness of the cap will overhang and lock down the other motors. Clean look and only one Aeropack to buy.

If you use an Aeropack on the central motor and positon everything close enough, the cap on the Aeropack wall be the retainer for the other motors as well. The thickness of the cap will overhang and lock down the other motors. Clean look and only one Aeropack to buy.

+1 ive done this before 1 retainer and get a large washer to reach out to the outside motors

I did this:
View attachment 248222
View attachment 248223

I will add holes for concealed nuts.

I like that a lot, looks really smart

Umm that's not a bad idea that! https://www.apogeerockets.com/Build...s/Screw-On_Retainers/54mm_AeroPack_Retainer_L

A std 54mm Aeropack has a 2.598" (66mm) OD. Would have to relocate all the tubes to sit within range.

Last edited:

What's that external tube for on the right? :kill:

Really nice looking work! That's a more elegant version of what I plan to make for the Iris.

Thanks, John
It's made out of scrap s-steel, and the 38mm holes were made on an hydraulic punch. It look nice, and only took 2 minutes to knock out those holes! The 3" hole is made with an hole saw, otherwise, the punch would have bent the plate. Little grinding inside the 3" hole was necessary. The cr's holes were made with a 42mm forstner bit.

Next time I'll try the laser with aluminum.

Back