Rulers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honey, come watch this video, just saying, they are cool!!!!

I didn't even bother showing the video to my family knowing I'd have to have a very awkward conversation about why I think it's so cool. ;)

hey that bend rule might also be useful as a tube marking guide.

just sayin'

(edit: rocketgeek101 seems to concur!)

also, I now have ruler lust...

(just waiting to see what Thirsty does with that comment...)

Last edited:
I went back and watched the beginning of the Video where they show the Rule in use again, only this time, instead of watching it with a sense of despair and woe, I was able to watch it with a sense of anticipation.:)

Thanks for posting. I have some good quality, but old mechanical drafting rulers (plastic) I use in my workshop. The ink, and even the scoring is wearing off after years of use and I had been thinking I need to replace them. Thus, I went ahead and ordered a combo set of these INCRA rulers off Amazon.

I didn't watch the video clip until today and dang if I didn't put the video on pause, shout "Shut up and take my money", and ordered a 12" Marking Rule.

As someone else posted above: "D'oh!"

Unfortunately, despite overspending so far, I succumbed and ordered a set that has the 12" rule, 12" bent, and 12" T

DANG YOU FOR POSTING THIS! :wink:

I think I need to shut off my internet for a month so I don't get tempted by anything else - posts, sales, etc

I made it through the whole clip too, and while I confess I looked up the products, besides being cool, and perhaps having a purpose in my rudimentary wood working kit, what would you use this for in Rocketry?
Fins- ok, so maybe you would measure and layout a fin planform, but...don't you layout and cut one, and then use that as a template for the others? So, even if you're off by a 32nd of an inch, the error is neutralized?

Tubes - the right angle device would be useful for measuring tube length, but not for marking lines- those intermediate holes on the edge will scallop your line.

Centering Rings - would be GREAT for accurately marking CR diameters, but that's the easy part- the harder part is cutting.

Not trying to talk smack about the product, definitely is amazing, but I need to know more how you plan to use it so I can get on board!

I made it through the whole clip too, and while I confess I looked up the products, besides being cool, and perhaps having a purpose in my rudimentary wood working kit, what would you use this for in Rocketry?
Fins- ok, so maybe you would measure and layout a fin planform, but...don't you layout and cut one, and then use that as a template for the others? So, even if you're off by a 32nd of an inch, the error is neutralized?

Tubes - the right angle device would be useful for measuring tube length, but not for marking lines- those intermediate holes on the edge will scallop your line.

Centering Rings - would be GREAT for accurately marking CR diameters, but that's the easy part- the harder part is cutting.

Not trying to talk smack about the product, definitely is amazing, but I need to know more how you plan to use it so I can get on board!

Hence my comment about the tool death spiral.

I have been using Inca products for about 15 years now. Very good quality. For those of you that have just bought, you will be very happy.

But be afraid, be very afraid. After a couple of T-squares and the protractor, I was looking at the table on my drill press. No problem, I'll just "Incanize" it. Then I looked at the table saw, a new miter and fence system, and that had been "incanized" also. It just didn't seem right that the router table was so plain looking, so that was next. At this point Inca had got about $1200 from me. But could I stop, noooo. It was so shiny and nice, and it worked so good. A couple of hundred more, and the wife started to notice the new things in the shop, so I had to give up my addiction. The old "Iv'e had that for a long time" just didn't work anymore. I must admit that when I go to their website I still break out in a sweat sometimes but my addiction is mostly cured. LOL.

On a serious note, I have been very happy with all the Inca products that I own, top notch quality and it has held up under heavy use very well.

Mike

004.jpg

005.jpg

003.jpg

007.jpg

Skip to the 5:30 Point in the Video and watch it again. The Bend Rule has a smooth Edge.
Right now I'm using two Yard Sticks glued together or a piece of Angled Aluminum that was originally intended to be a Stair Edge Guard.

Last edited:
I should have invested in incra stock when this thread started.

Looks like I am going to have to place an order myself.

Dennis

Rulers are individuals that rule over a country or group of people.
Rules are measuring devices.
I live with a dictator. I'm also the official food taster. My life is in her hands. She has three rules and they don't measure crap:
1) No rockets in the master bedroom or bathroom(s)
2) No science experiments in the kitchen (any more...)
3) Rocket 'crap' is NOT on an Interior Designer's wish list
She made me write she is a wise and merciful dictator. Where's a ruler when you need one?

What??!? no science experiments in the kitchen??? That's the only place with the mixers, large bowls and a sink. Is time for Soviet purge, comrade - YOU must become dictator!!

Another nice thing about having ordered the Rule is that now some of the Pop-up Ads that come up here are for stuff I'm actually interested in.:D

INCRAADS 002.jpg

I live with a dictator. I'm also the official food taster. My life is in her hands. She has three rules and they don't measure crap:
1) No rockets in the master bedroom or bathroom(s)
2) No science experiments in the kitchen (any more...)
3) Rocket 'crap' is NOT on an Interior Designer's wish list
She made me write she is a wise and merciful dictator. Where's a ruler when you need one?

What's wrong with you? Everybody knows that science experiments should be conducted in the bathroom.

a) the emergency shower is right there.
b) in case of fire, see a),
c) in case chemicals get in your eyes, again see a), and
d) if something stinks, turn on the exhaust fan, close the door and say, in your best Ace Ventura, Pet Detective voice, "Woooh!, Do NOT go in there!"

First a disclaimer: I have and use Incra stuff and it's awesome. I seriously covet more.

That said, here's a different point of view for some perspective:
[video=youtube;VYY828hIZM0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYY828hIZM0[/video]

A piece of scrap paper is sure as heck cheaper than any of them fancy Incra thingies!

s6

Crap..... I need more tools like I need more kits in the rocket kit "collection".

I see some of these in my future.... grrrrr.

Jerome :p

That said, here's a different point of view for some perspective:
Rulers also lose their value when you start to need higher precision; "17/32 plus a little" is at the edge of usability. They work really well at the scale and precision of hand tools (length of the last thumb joint or width of a finger), but fall short for CNC work (thousandths of an inch or hundredths of a millimeter).

Incra's rules are thinner to reduce parallax errors and digitized with slots to make it easy to mark at standard spacings, but when you consider that 0.005" is the difference between a too-tight and a sloppy fit, even 1/64" (0.016") is too coarse.

CNC takes you in another direction: instead of measuring and marking, one draws on the computer and lets the machine cut the parts. So one can end up at the same place as the traditional woodworker through the entirely different path of CNC!

Back