Sparkfun 400mAh LiPo alternative

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealth6

insert witty tagline here
Reaction score
Ok, since this is the eve of the great Missileworks Cyber Monday, and Landru's own "black" sale has just happened, I imagine quite a few folks are going to have brand new S.M.A.R.T. sleds soon. The question is: what battery is THE current choice to go with these? (powering RRC3s, RRC2+s, Ravens, etc.)

The highly recommended 3.7V, 400mAh, 2C Lipo that WAS available from Sparkfun has been out of stock for months. They SAY it was supposed to be back in stock late October, but that hasn't happened. Assuming it may still be some time before this item is available again, what's the alternative?

Here's the one in question: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10718

While we are at it, recommend a charger to go with the battery that is the next best thing (or even better).

thanks, s6

I wouldn't recommend any LiPo battery with a built in protection circuit. You want to protect the rocket not the battery.

The highly recommended 3.7V, 400mAh, 2C Lipo that WAS available from Sparkfun has been out of stock for months.

Altus Metrum started life reselling Spark Fun batteries, so ours are plug-compatible, but have no current-limiting circuit present. We've got 160, 400 and 850mAh versions, along with a dual-rate charger:

* 160mAh
* 400mAh
* 850mAh
* Dual-rate charger

Last edited:
The question is: what battery is THE current choice to go with these? (powering RRC3s, RRC2+s, Ravens, etc.)

The highly recommended 3.7V, 400mAh, 2C Lipo that WAS available from Sparkfun has been out of stock for months.

I believe the Raven states you should use a Lipo battery UNDER 170maHrs. If you use too large a battery you can damage the altimeter if there is a short circuit on the output

I believe the Raven states you should use a Lipo battery UNDER 170maHrs. If you use too large a battery you can damage the altimeter if there is a short circuit on the output

depends on the C rating on the battery. May RC lipos have C ratings of 25 and up and max current is (capacity * C rating) which can get high really quickly and damage altimeters which want 10A or less.
The sparkfun ones are usually 2C which means you can go to 5000mah before you hit 10A max discharge.

I went with the 850mah batteries instead of the 400mah from sparkfun but that's because I'm not trying to fit them into the 3D printed sleds.

Last edited:
Heads up folks, looks like the recommended LiPo from Sparkfun is finally back in stock.
See here: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10718

I know lots of folks have been waiting for these for a long time. Here you go.

I ended up not waiting and got mine from Alus Metrum.

s6

Back